The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: David Bowie's 42 words & a novella sized article to boot
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:20 pm 
post-structuralist

I admit to not having time to read this article all the way through yet, but whatever - it appears to be a pretty good one (which I'll read as soon as I have time) - David Bowie's 42 words describing his first new album in 10 years.

Not to mention a slew of information about the man and his music as well.
This is a musician who I can honestly state was the leading influence in my love of music in general and my desire to find what's different and innovative in music, and more, what's good and holds meaning in music.
If you don't know his stuff, shame on you. If you don't like his stuff - well, what can one say? You can lead a horse to water etc...

This guy is the real deal-- and at 66 (!) is still one of the most creative and 'ahead of his time' artists out there. Rarely appreciated for what he's put out until the rest of the world catches up to him, and then sits and nods appreciatively about that album that came out in 1991 or whenever - I'd venture to say that the majority of his stuff still holds up today and is worth your time and a little bit of effort to get into if for no other reason than - it's good.

as noted in the article about this new album "The Next Day":

Bowie, the artist who no longer has anything to prove, has indicated that he is unavailable for comment about The Next Day, because there is only the work, and anything beyond the work is sort of what this album is about...

...simply asked if he would provide this list of words about his album, assuming, like everyone else waving madly trying to get his attention, that there was not a chance in hell that I would get this list, because who the fuck am I, some novelist killing time writing occasionally about music, and yet astonishingly the list appeared, and it appeared without further comment, which is really excellent, and exactly in the spirit of this album, and the list is far better than I could ever have hoped, and it’s exactly like Bowie, at least in my understanding of him, impulsive, intuitive, haunted, astringent, and incredibly ambitious in the matter of the arts; Bowie is a conceptual artist, it seems to me, who just happens to work in the popular song, and he wants to make work that goes somewhere new, and this is amply demonstrated by the list.

here's the Article:

http://therumpus.net/2013/04/swinging-m ... other-day/

And here's the man - still looking pretty damn good to me, if i do say so myself:

And here's the List:

Effigies
Indulgences
Anarchist
Violence
Chthonic
Intimidation
Vampyric
Pantheon
Succubus
Hostage
Transference
Identity
Mauer
Interface
Flitting
Isolation
Revenge
Osmosis
Crusade
Tyrant
Domination
Indifference
Miasma
Pressgang
Displaced
Flight
Resettlement
Funereal
Glide
Trace
Balkan
Burial
Reverse
Manipulate
Origin
Text
Traitor
Urban
Comeuppance
Tragic
Nerve
Mystification

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Post subject: Re: David Bowie's 42 words & a novella sized article to boot
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm 
Polluted

Been really diggin' The Next Day since it came out, but I have a Bowie fetish. So much great stuff.

malice wrote:
Rarely appreciated for what he's put out until the rest of the world catches up to him, and then sits and nods appreciatively about that album that came out in 1991 or whenever

This Earthling, for me. I always got 'I'm Afraid Of Americans' but the rest was too electronic for my tastes, at the time. Then, I heard an acoustic rendition of 'Dead Man Walking' and it sunk. Now I nod appreciatively.

Also, my great grandfather's name was Ziggy.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 pm 
Polluted

You guys are jerks.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:40 am 
post-structuralist

Self wrote:
You guys are jerks.

pretty much as if it came from my own lips, friend

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 am 
AnalLog

Oh hay, malice is back.
Hi mary, how are you?

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 5:11 am 
post-structuralist

Happy Birthday.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands