The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beastie Boys
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 7:54 pm 
Production Police

darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Check Your Head - this album feels very consistent and strong throughout. Rather than the spitfire interchanges of the first two albums, the songs seem more focused on each of the members. Some of the greatest stuff for me lies in the instrumental tracks, like In 3’s, Pow, and Groove Holmes, though I am not completely sure why. I actually listened to Paul’s Boutique twice before commenting because I felt like it needed that second spin, but got through this one quickly. Both have tremendous virtue though, and are strong from top to bottom.

I think one of the most fascinating things is the contrast between PB and CYH. Talk about going in a different direction, it's really pretty amazing. In some ways I actually like Ill Communication better, but...it's like a logical extension of CYH. For that reason, CYH is kinda the better album.

CYH is definitely better album. IC has maybe some higher high, but it also gets fairly repetitive in the final stretch. Every track on CYH feels vital.

PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 8:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
liebzz wrote:
Check Your Head - this album feels very consistent and strong throughout. Rather than the spitfire interchanges of the first two albums, the songs seem more focused on each of the members. Some of the greatest stuff for me lies in the instrumental tracks, like In 3’s, Pow, and Groove Holmes, though I am not completely sure why. I actually listened to Paul’s Boutique twice before commenting because I felt like it needed that second spin, but got through this one quickly. Both have tremendous virtue though, and are strong from top to bottom.

I think one of the most fascinating things is the contrast between PB and CYH. Talk about going in a different direction, it's really pretty amazing. In some ways I actually like Ill Communication better, but...it's like a logical extension of CYH. For that reason, CYH is kinda the better album.

CYH is definitely better album. IC has maybe some higher high, but it also gets fairly repetitive in the final stretch. Every track on CYH feels vital.

Yeah. If I had to get a newb into the Beastie Boys, I'd point them to PB and CYH. Those are the top two essential albums (even if I probably listen to IC more).

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 5:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I got into Check Your Head pretty late into the game. I'm talking my late 20s. I have no idea why I never explored that album prior. I loved Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, and Paul's Boutique for at least a decade up until that point. As a result of this late bloom, CYH remains "new" to me, though most of you would probably consider the sound on that album to be pretty dated.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 6:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

washing machine wrote:
I got into Check Your Head pretty late into the game. I'm talking my late 20s. I have no idea why I never explored that album prior. I loved Ill Communication, Hello Nasty, and Paul's Boutique for at least a decade up until that point. As a result of this late bloom, CYH remains "new" to me, though most of you would probably consider the sound on that album to be pretty dated.

Other than Licensed to Ill, I don't really think most BB material sounds dated at all.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 7:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Other than Licensed to Ill, I don't really think most BB material sounds dated at all.

That's because you're an old man.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 7:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

washing machine wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Reid I swear to God

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 7:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
washing machine wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Reid I swear to God

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2020 7:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Yeah!!!! first PJ and now this....

https://news.avclub.com/spike-jonzes-beastie-boys-story-to-stream-on-apple-tv-1841024659

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2020 2:56 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:

:hooray:

PostPosted: Tue April 28, 2020 4:16 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Just finished the documentary. I loved it. I loved thats a live show, loved the photos, loved everything. I wish it was longer, i wish they talked more about Hello Nasty, about The Mix Up, 5 Boroughs, Hot Sauce.....these guys had such a cool rich history, and i feel they barely scratched the surface here.

PostPosted: Tue April 28, 2020 9:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Listenin to Check Your Head right now.

Jimmy James is sooo fucking good. I love those scratchings.

PostPosted: Tue April 28, 2020 10:15 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

FUUUUCK i love In 3´s so fucking much. The bass is so tasty...and damn, those keyboards.

I wanna grab my skateboard and go for a session now :(

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 2:51 pm 

This documentary is making me want to revisit some of their influences and friends. Clash, Bad Brains, Luscious Jackson, Kraftwerk...

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 2:54 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
This documentary is making me want to revisit some of their influences and friends. Clash, Bad Brains, Luscious Jackson, Kraftwerk...

you ever listen to the Money Mark albums?

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 3:11 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I know him from his work with the band.

Also, I like how they straight up admitted how they handled kicking Kate out of the band as super shitty of them

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 3:13 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I know him from his work with the band.

Also, I like how they straight up admitted how they handled kicking Kate out of the band as super shitty of them

You should check out his records, it sounds like the funkier stuff from the CYH-IC era.

Yeah the Kate stuff was shitty. My concern with this doc is that they're whitewashing some of their shittier moments from their younger days. Is that the case?

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 3:40 pm 

I mean, they talk a lot about how they became the party boys they were making fun of in fight for your right. And how they hated that tour and wanted it to be over. And how they were embarrassed to go home because of it

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 3:41 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, they talk a lot about how they became the party boys they were making fun of in fight for your right. And how they hated that tour and wanted it to be over. And how they were embarrassed to go home because of it

but they don't talk about banging groupies or bringing the huge inflatable dick on stage?

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 4:12 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

but they don't talk about banging groupies or bringing the huge inflatable dick on stage?

Oh yes they do. Especially the dick and how it turned into a symbol of them being huge dicks

PostPosted: Wed April 29, 2020 4:34 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I thought about it yesterday, but they arent on Spotify. lll try to download them yesterday. He is featured on the Horrible Bosses soundtrack along with Mike, its a pretty cool one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands