The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Detouring America With Horns - The Yo La Tengo Thread
PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2020 4:13 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm not even going to try to rank all the YLT albums.

As big of a fan of this band as I am, there's a few early albums and some soundtracks and projects they've done that I've not heard. Condo Fucks, anyone?

Anyway, I'll give you my top five, no order:

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
Hands down favorite, and a classic indie rock album, however you want to slice the genre. This is the perfect balance of noisy YLT, ballad YLT, atmospheric YLT, and covers. No question this is the Yo La Tengo album I would take to a desert island.

Fade
Ohm might be my favorite song they've done. It sets the tone for this late fall-feeling album very well. This was an instant classic kind of album when I heard it, and I hold it in my top five for mostly sentimental reasons, because to be honest it kind of falls off towards the middle but finishes strong. Love the album art too.

I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
This one's really easy to get into. Mr. Tough, The Race is on Again, The Room Got Heavy, all very accessible songs that keep this album's momentum going strong. This one or Painful are probably the two YLT albums I'd recommend first to someone looking for a way in. Though I like this one a lot more than Painful. Seems like it's held up better.

Summer Sun
This album is a fucking snoozefest, but I love it. Little Eyes and Season of the Shark notwithstanding, this album is super hazy and sleepy sounding. I'll put it on when I want to zone out. Something about Georgia and Ira's voices mix well with the ambient sound.

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
This could be I Can Hear The Heart's aspiring little sister. It's a beautiful, near perfect album that takes all sorts of trips down different musical roads, while overall coming across as chilly and low-key in a way that only YLT can. Our Way to Fall is such a pretty song, as is Tears are in Your Eyes. Still not convinced Cherry Chapstick isn't just a straight-up Sonic Youth cameo. Night Falls on Hoboken is an epic closer. What a great album.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2020 5:07 am 
Gone

Fade is definitely a time and place album for me as well. It came out not too long after I moved, changed jobs and had health problems. All happened fairly abruptly. I remember Fade having a really calming effect on me at the time and it still does. The other record that sticks out in my mind from that period in my life is Songs For A Blue Guitar by Red House Painters. The song Trailways takes me back there immediately, and it hurts, but sort of in a good way?

Anyway, its easy to feel like Fade loses momentum a bit in the middle but perhaps that's just because Ohm/Before We Run are such fantastic bookends?

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2020 7:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Yeah, I think you're right.

I was listening to Summer Sun this morning after making my list, and I'm here to say that Moonrock Mambo is a silly song that I like very much. Where else can you get a she-crab soup lyrical reference these days? Nowhere. That's where.

PostPosted: Sat February 08, 2020 2:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Let's Save Tony Orlando's House is really doing it for me on this late winter morning.

PostPosted: Sat February 08, 2020 2:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

washing machine wrote:
I'm not even going to try to rank all the YLT albums.

As big of a fan of this band as I am, there's a few early albums and some soundtracks and projects they've done that I've not heard. Condo Fucks, anyone?

Anyway, I'll give you my top five, no order:

I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
Hands down favorite, and a classic indie rock album, however you want to slice the genre. This is the perfect balance of noisy YLT, ballad YLT, atmospheric YLT, and covers. No question this is the Yo La Tengo album I would take to a desert island.

Fade
Ohm might be my favorite song they've done. It sets the tone for this late fall-feeling album very well. This was an instant classic kind of album when I heard it, and I hold it in my top five for mostly sentimental reasons, because to be honest it kind of falls off towards the middle but finishes strong. Love the album art too.

I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
This one's really easy to get into. Mr. Tough, The Race is on Again, The Room Got Heavy, all very accessible songs that keep this album's momentum going strong. This one or Painful are probably the two YLT albums I'd recommend first to someone looking for a way in. Though I like this one a lot more than Painful. Seems like it's held up better.

Summer Sun
This album is a fucking snoozefest, but I love it. Little Eyes and Season of the Shark notwithstanding, this album is super hazy and sleepy sounding. I'll put it on when I want to zone out. Something about Georgia and Ira's voices mix well with the ambient sound.

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
This could be I Can Hear The Heart's aspiring little sister. It's a beautiful, near perfect album that takes all sorts of trips down different musical roads, while overall coming across as chilly and low-key in a way that only YLT can. Our Way to Fall is such a pretty song, as is Tears are in Your Eyes. Still not convinced Cherry Chapstick isn't just a straight-up Sonic Youth cameo. Night Falls on Hoboken is an epic closer. What a great album.

No Painful? Their soundtrack work is excellent too.

I need to listen to Summer Sun more often.

PostPosted: Sat February 08, 2020 2:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I like Painful of course, but it's pretty much just an early 90's shoegaze album to my ears. I love that genre, but my favorite Yo La Tengo albums tend to be more varied and subdued.

No doubt if I ever saw them live I'd go crazy for something like Double Dare or From a Motel 6.

That all being said, I Heard You Looking would make my top ten YLT song list for sure.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 5:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

By my count, we're close to being due for a new YLT album. They seem to release in 3-4 year cycles. Haven't really been following along for any announcements, but it would be extremely cool to hear some new music soon.

On that note, There's a Riot Going On holds up well. Maybe it's just this time of year, but I'm really connecting with it today. Late July heat and haze mixes well with the vibe of this one. The songs on here kind of hit like a light breeze on an otherwise stagnant summer day. It's possible that it could eventually knock out Summer Sun in my top 5. Same overall feel to me, but with songs that stand out a little easier on their own. If you haven't listened lately, I'd suggest revisiting.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 6:12 pm 
Production Police

Riot is top three YLT for me. Perfect for this time of year. Need to grab the LP.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 6:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I realize that, more than any other band except maybe Belle & Sebastian, I use seasons and weather to describe how YLT's music makes me feel. This group has mastered the art of evocation and I love them for it.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 7:00 pm 
Production Police

I think Wilco and Sonic Youth’s discographies fits comfortably along seasonal lines of delineation too

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 8:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh good call on Wilco. For me, SY is more about terrain and time of day to my ears. Dark, wet alleys. 3am. Or lime green burber carpet after school on a weeknight in 1980-something.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 11:10 pm 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
Condo Fucks, anyone?

:wave: i like it. lo-fi, punchy fun.

PostPosted: Mon July 26, 2021 11:13 pm 
Future Drummer

there was a short time in my life where i just put green arrow on repeat when i went to bed and slept all night with that song playing. i might do that again for old times' sake.

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 2:15 am 
Looks Like a Cat

We are fast approaching I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One season, everyone. Best time of the year.

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 5:18 pm 
Future Drummer

i've never listened to Fade

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 5:19 pm 
Future Drummer

the only apposite garden state variety response to such a disclosure

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 9:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Ohm is such a great album opener. Malloy, you should listen to it as the sunlight wanes over your preferred body of water.

PostPosted: Tue August 24, 2021 8:44 pm 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
Ohm is such a great album opener. Malloy, you should listen to it as the sunlight wanes over your preferred body of water.

i'll crank this record as i make my rounds tonight. report forthcoming, reid-o

PostPosted: Mon April 25, 2022 5:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

There is a gentle hum to the tune of She May, She Might pulsing through the general atmosphere today. Will this band please release a new album already?

PostPosted: Mon April 25, 2022 5:55 pm 
Production Police

They may. They might.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands