Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Topic locked

Dev please vote

Deftones - "Minerva"
100%
Smile Empty Soul - "Bottom of a Bottle"
No votes

Total votes : 21

R1: Minerva vs. Bottom of a Bottle

Thu July 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Deftones - "Minerva"

Smile Empty Soul - "Bottom of a Bottle"
Last edited by LoathedVermin72 on Mon July 16, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: R1: Minerva vs. Bottom of a Bottle

Fri July 13, 2018 12:10 am

BOAB isn't the worst song in this tournament but "Minerva" is fucking transcendent. A gorgeous piece of music and one of my all-time favorite songs.

Fri July 13, 2018 12:12 am

God bless you all

Fri July 13, 2018 1:08 am

Minerva is basically a shoegaze song.

Deftones by the distance from Earth to Pluto for this one, I forgot all about Smile Empty Soul until now.

Real Smile Empty Soul lyrics: “You’re the ones who fuck your kids”

Fri July 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Deftones are awesome. I don't know if they are really Nu Metal or just associates but they should win the entire thing.

Fri July 13, 2018 1:11 pm

It's weird that these two songs are matched up let alone in the same tournament. Never heard of Smile Empty Soul before. Looking at their wikipedia page now and I see why. These guys might have wandered into my radar if they were around in the late 90's, but in the mid-2000's? not a chance. Pretty generic tune.

Minerva by as wide a margin as i can possibly give.

Fri July 13, 2018 4:48 pm

I recognized the name of Smile Empty Soul and the title of "Bottom of a Bottle," but I didn't remember what the song sounded like until I listened. A weird little mix of pop-punk, post-grunge, and nu-metal. Altogether not an awful little tune, but nothing special either.

When "Minerva" was a single making the rounds I hoped to hear it get played every time I was in the car with the radio on. It was one of my favorite songs of the time period, heavy and beautiful at the same time. In listening to it again for this round, I'm definitely getting the shoegaze nods that a few people have alluded to. I mean, it sounds like a freaking Jesu song, and it got radio airplay. It's definitely one of my favorites to win this tournament.

Obviously, my vote is going with Deftones again.

Fri July 13, 2018 5:12 pm

I've never heard either of these before. "Minerva" is pretty okay -- it radiates that late-'90's-early-'00's-radio-rock sameyness that all this music does, but there are a lot of elements that appeal to me too. Some cool guitar chords, and definitely a nice shoegazey vibe. What is some other Deftones music that is more like this and less like "Shove It"?

The Smile Empty Soul song sucks butt.
Last edited by Kevin Davis on Fri July 13, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri July 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Most of the post-White Pony Deftones sounds similar.

Speaking of Jesu too, I’ve maintained that mid-period Godflesh from Songs of Love and Hate to Hymns sounds nu-metal as fuck.

Fri July 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:I've never heard either of these before. "Minerva" is pretty okay -- it radiates that late-'90's-early-'00's-radio-rock sameyness that all this music does, but there are a lot of elements that appeal to me too. Some cool guitar chords, and definitely a nice shoegazey vibe. What is some other Deftones music that is more like this and less like "Shove It"?

The Smile Empty Soul song sucks butt.

One of my favorite Deftones songs

Fri July 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Chino + Serj = non-nu, who woulda thought.

Try “Tempest” or “Combat” too.

Fri July 13, 2018 5:23 pm

And “Hole in the Earth”

You might like Team Sleep more than Deftones, KD

Fri July 13, 2018 5:31 pm

"Sextape" is my favorite Deftones song

Fri July 13, 2018 5:32 pm

theplatypus wrote:"Sextape" is my favorite Deftones song

You should listen to “Pink Cellphone”

Fri July 13, 2018 5:37 pm

not a deftones fan

Fri July 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Digital Bath is easily my fav Deftones.

Fri July 13, 2018 6:16 pm

bada wrote:Digital Bath is easily my fav Deftones.

Me too

Fri July 13, 2018 7:00 pm

decided to give Deftones another shot bc i haven't in so long. and immediately stumbled across their cover of "Drive" :thumbsup:

Fri July 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Minerva is so good. I really should get more into Deftones. I've enjoyed all of their tracks so far except for Back to School I guess. Change (in the house of flies) is probably my favorite song in this tournament.

Fri July 13, 2018 7:56 pm

chewm wrote:Change (in the house of flies) is probably my favorite song in this tournament.

O that song is in this tourney? Psh, i'll just push all my votes its way now.
Topic locked