The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thread
PostPosted: Wed July 11, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
One of the best and most consistent bands of the last 10 years.















New single via Rock Action.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Thu July 12, 2018 4:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu February 02, 2017 10:39 am
Posts: 2141
Location: Most likely at the office...
I've recently snagged a few of their albums with the intention of diving in. I'll check out these vids as a starter methinks.

Generally speaking I'm a big fan of Scottish bands.

_________________
Free boops today.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Mon November 19, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
New album It Won/t Be Like This All the Time coming Jan. 18 on Rock Action Records.

New single.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
New album on Friday!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
Rank 'em!

1. Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters
2. Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave
3. Forget the Night Ahead
4. No One Can Ever Know

If Killed My Parents and Hit the Road counts as a proper album, it'd be #3.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 305
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Should that album be my starting point with them then?

I saw them a few years ago when they opened for The Cure. I liked what I heard that night, but I got very lazy with following up on it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Should that album be my starting point with them then?

I saw them a few years ago when they opened for The Cure. I liked what I heard that night, but I got very lazy with following up on it.



I'd probably start with Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave.

It's got their best melodies and James Graham's vocals are really spot-on.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 305
run2death wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Should that album be my starting point with them then?

I saw them a few years ago when they opened for The Cure. I liked what I heard that night, but I got very lazy with following up on it.



I'd probably start with Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave.

It's got their best melodies and James Graham's vocals are really spot-on.


Thanks for the recommendation. I swear I'm actually going to give this band some time this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2052
Great band, so underrated.
Cant wait to spin the new one.

That voice...

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Should that album be my starting point with them then?

I saw them a few years ago when they opened for The Cure. I liked what I heard that night, but I got very lazy with following up on it.



I'd probably start with Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave.

It's got their best melodies and James Graham's vocals are really spot-on.


Thanks for the recommendation. I swear I'm actually going to give this band some time this year.


You really should, they're great.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2052
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.
.


What about Robert Smith?
The Arbor is pure THE CURE
Sounds like something from the Pornography era

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
psychobain wrote:
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.
.


What about Robert Smith?
The Arbor is pure THE CURE
Sounds like something from the Pornography era

For sure. Some of The Top and Japanese Whispers in there too. It's even got those weird "echoey" drums and that bassline is pure Cure.

Hutchinson's influence is more in the lyrics.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2052
This album is so good.
Im a huge fan of this band;

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
psychobain wrote:
This album is so good.
Im a huge fan of this band;

What are your favorite tracks from the new one?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
The 4-track run of The Arbor, VTr, Sunday Day13 and I/m Not Here [missing face] is fucking awesome.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 23990
Two good pals been at me for a long time to get into this band and I somehow haven’t.

The new one has a frightened rabbit influence?

Im gonna check them out.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: A Dark Place
dimejinky99 wrote:
The new one has a frightened rabbit influence?


I was referencing the lyrics earlier, not necessarily the sound.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Mon January 21, 2019 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 23990
That’s still enough to get me on board.

I’m horribly closed off to new music anyways so no harm in giving them a spin.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Didn't Have To Kill Them All | The Twilight Sad thre
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 2:51 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Sun January 06, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 305
run2death wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
run2death wrote:
Clearly Scott Hutchison's death had a huge influence on It Won't Be Like This All the Time.

Probably their best album yet.


Should that album be my starting point with them then?

I saw them a few years ago when they opened for The Cure. I liked what I heard that night, but I got very lazy with following up on it.



I'd probably start with Nobody Wants to Be Here and Nobody Wants to Leave.

It's got their best melodies and James Graham's vocals are really spot-on.


Thanks for the recommendation. I swear I'm actually going to give this band some time this year.


You really should, they're great.


I've finally started to give this album a few listens. I love the opening. "There's a Girl in the Corner" and "Last January" stood out for me right away. Other tracks are starting to really grow on me. The back half of "In Nowheres" in particular has helped me come around on that track. I love the way it builds from (roughly) the minute before (2:30 mark or so) the nightmares part kicks in.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat February 23, 2019 3:16 pm