The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Country Music
PostPosted: Tue December 29, 2020 8:22 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
epilogue wrote:
epilogue wrote:
How am I just now hearing about Waylon Payne? Holy fuck! This new record is fantastic.

this sounds made up

what if I told you the album is titled "Blue Eyes, The Harlot, The Queer, The Pusher & Me"? still think it's made up?

i can only picture waylon jennings starring in major payne

that's the stuff

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 11:33 am 
The Master

tattooedeverything wrote:
I ain't even frontin' when I say that "Neon Moon" by Brooks & Dunn is fucking awesome. And I've ALWAYS had a real soft spot for Patsy Cline.

i love neon moon...one of my favorite country songs

i love this dadgum song so much

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Posting this here after bringing it up in the wilco thread. My god is this a great song. Recorded in an empty dance hall in 1973 and it sounds like it. The way it slowly builds up feels like the saddest campfire singalong ever, and what is going on with those creepy bells in the background before the band kicks in? I love how offsetting it is before the chorus brings you back to earth.

There really isn't a genre better suited than country music to give us a such a heartfelt song about generations of death by tractor or car accidents.

Love these lines

If I took a rollin' wheel
And rolled it ten times 'round
Would it travel far from here?
Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 am 
10Club Complaint Department

washing machine wrote:

Posting this here after bringing it up in the wilco thread. My god is this a great song. Recorded in an empty dance hall in 1973 and it sounds like it. The way it slowly builds up feels like the saddest campfire singalong ever, and what is going on with those creepy bells in the background before the band kicks in? I love how offsetting it is before the chorus brings you back to earth.

There really isn't a genre better suited than country music to give us a such a heartfelt song about generations of death by tractor or car accidents.

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

i trusted your tastes enough to give this a listen.

at first, i was like...hold up...this was recorded in a dance hall? nah...sounds incredible. i love it.

his vocals lay perfectly across this. and i love the plinking keys in it. how is this not in a studio? i've listened on my new powerbeats pros (sorry losers), and my home shelf speakers. it sounds like i'm in the room with the band.

i have to admit, i'd never heard of Jerry Jeff Walker until your post. i have a very limited knowledge/background of country music. i mean...i grew up in new england and wasn't exactly fed even a decent helping of it. i knew of guys like willie and roy clark, etc, but by the time i had heard a country song, it was more like a pop song than anything else. i just can't do poppy/boring ass country.

this though...this is a goddamn country song. i even listened to London Homesick Blues, which follows Wheel on that album, and that one is great too.

i want to sit on my back porch, drink some beers and listen to JJW.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:11 am 
Looks Like a Cat

dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

at first, i was like...hold up...this was recorded in a dance hall? nah...sounds incredible. i love it.

his vocals lay perfectly across this. and i love the plinking keys in it. how is this not in a studio? i've listened on my new powerbeats pros (sorry losers), and my home shelf speakers. it sounds like i'm in the room with the band.

i have to admit, i'd never heard of Jerry Jeff Walker until your post. i have a very limited knowledge/background of country music. i mean...i grew up in new england and wasn't exactly fed even a decent helping of it. i knew of guys like willie and roy clark, etc, but by the time i had heard a country song, it was more like a pop song than anything else. i just can't do poppy/boring ass country.

this though...this is a goddamn country song. i even listened to London Homesick Blues, which follows Wheel on that album, and that one is great too.

Do yourself a favor and check out that whole album. Then afterwards seek out some Ray Wiley Hubbard

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:32 am 
10Club Complaint Department

washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

Do yourself a favor and check out that whole album. Then afterwards seek out some Ray Wiley Hubbard

that whole album is :nice: .

I'll check out RWH too.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 pm 
She / Her

listening to a lot of Orville Peck lately

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

I'll check out RWH too.

:thumbs up:

"Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" from that JJW albums is a Ray Wiley song. You can hear RWH's version on an album called Live at Cibolo Creek Country Club, which is an album I'd recommend as a good starting point.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

You also might try Michael Martin Murphey. Particularly the album Cosmic Cowboy Souvenir. "Alleys of Austin" is such a good song.

"Backslider's Wine" from Viva Terlingua! is one of his.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:50 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

I'll check out RWH too.

:thumbs up:

"Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" from that JJW albums is a Ray Wiley song. You can hear RWH's version on an album called Live at Cibolo Creek Country Club, which is an album I'd recommend as a good starting point.

I get all that.
Also, I got a heavy "Last Kiss" vibe.

PostPosted: Sat July 30, 2022 3:40 am 
The Master

Sturgill Simpson's In Bloom cover is one of my favorite things.

PostPosted: Sat March 18, 2023 4:19 am 
mXn

Bammer wrote:
Does anyone know if Luke Combs is legit? Like does he write his own songs, or is he the Taylor Swift of country music?

It's hard for me to tell because he is definitely not a pretty face. He's not your typical no-talent shitstain thrown out there purely due to sex appeal. I like his voice.

For comparison I get the impression that Chris Stapleton is much more "legit" as an artist. I just can't tell if Luke Combs is respectable like that.

I find myself enjoying many of his songs (not all), but I don't know if I should feel embarrassed about this or not.

I’ve yet to find a definitive answer to this and at this point I don’t care. I love him.

PostPosted: Sat March 18, 2023 4:29 am 
The Master

washing machine wrote:

Love these lines

Would it just go 'round?
'Round and 'round?

This is good stuff. I can't see Jeff Tweedy not liking it.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2023 12:53 am 
She / Her

come on baby cry

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:10 pm 
Production Police

Just learned about the Highwaymen supergroup. WTF bros, this is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:

You like them? Check out the Highwomen. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:15 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Hahaha holy shit. Two great albums to enjoy this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:16 pm 
Production Police

Redesigning Women rules

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Redesigning Women rules

:hooray:

PostPosted: Fri July 14, 2023 10:25 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Hahaha holy shit. Two great albums to enjoy this weekend.

How the fuck have you never heard of the Highwaymen?

The Highwomen’s version of The Chain is probably my favorite live rendition ever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands