The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Drive-by Truckers
PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2013 3:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

These guys play a free show in Steamboat next month...I've always had a penchant for Southern rock, alt-country and have been listening to these guys a bit. They're a surprisingly good oxymoron. Southern soulful rock with literate lyrics ironically playing on the sometimes less than charming history of the Southeastern culture.

I'm impressed early on.

Post subject: Re: Drive-by Truckers
PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2013 4:57 pm 
The Master

Gods' Die wrote:
These guys play a free show in Steamboat next month...I've always had a penchant for Southern rock, alt-country and have been listening to these guys a bit. They're a surprisingly good oxymoron. Southern soulful rock with literate lyrics ironically playing on the sometimes less than charming history of the Southeastern culture.

I'm impressed early on.

They are pretty great. Isbell is no longer with the band so that has been a minor detriment but they have so much music out there....

Wasn't aware of the free show. I love steamboat. Will probably head to it!

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2013 5:03 pm 

Strat wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:

I'm impressed early on.

They are pretty great. Isbell is no longer with the band so that has been a minor detriment but they have so much music out there....

It's Friday, July 12...Liz and I are gonna find somewhere to camp for it probably, even if it means outta the back of her car on a street somewhere.

I just grabbed a couple of Isbell's solo records but haven't gotten time to dig in yet.

PostPosted: Wed June 19, 2013 5:07 pm 
The Master

Gods' Die wrote:
Strat wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:

I'm impressed early on.

It's Friday, July 12...Liz and I are gonna find somewhere to camp for it probably, even if it means outta the back of her car on a street somewhere.

I just grabbed a couple of Isbell's solo records but haven't gotten time to dig in yet.

Steamboat kind of sucks for camping. There are many pay to camp sites around but tend to fill up very rapidly. That are not many, as i am aware of, sites to just plop a tent down. Kind of annoying the one time we attempted to wing it and find places to camp there.

I can almost guarantee none of my friends will be up for the show so ill see you there!

PostPosted: Tue December 03, 2013 6:37 pm 
Broken Tamborine

New album, English Oceans, due out March 4th:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/drive-by-truckers-return-to-simplicity-on-english-oceans-20131203

This might be my most anticipated album of 2014. Really hoping they don't let me down.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 5:44 am 

Blaine Ryan wrote:
New album, English Oceans, due out March 4th:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/drive-by-truckers-return-to-simplicity-on-english-oceans-20131203

This might be my most anticipated album of 2014. Really hoping they don't let me down.

Very nice. I didn't catch these guys live due to work. Would love to see them touring a new record. Their last couple were pretty damn good. Nice to see some sustained excellence with how prolific they've been.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 4:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I've only heard the "A Blessing and a Curse" record but thoroughly enjoyed it. What would you recommend to follow up?

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 5:05 pm 

Evvo wrote:
I've only heard the "A Blessing and a Curse" record but thoroughly enjoyed it. What would you recommend to follow up?

Southern Rock Opera and/or The Dirty South

First things first. You should check out 3 of Cooley's songs from these records: 72 (This Highway's Mean), Zip City, & Where the Devil Don't Stay. These might be the 3 best songs in their discography.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 1:23 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'd second The Dirty South. One of my all-time favorite albums, and for my money the best rock album of the '00's.

I don't mean to undermine Gods' Die, but as much as I love Cooley (he's my favorite songwriter in the band), you'd be getting an impoverished view of the band by only listening to his songs. Each songwriter has their own distinctive voice and writing style, and I've met people who love one but aren't convinced by the others, or like two of them but feel the other's dead weight, etc. You're better off just diving into a full-length. Cooley's "Where the Devil Don't Stay" is the opening track of TDS, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:23 am 

Oh I don't think he should only listen to those 3 at all. Just that they're my favorites, and in my opinion better than anything Patterson's done (and I really enjoy him as well). Listen to The Dirty South and disc 1 of Southern Rock Opera.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:34 am 

And Isbell's songs are great as well in Dirty South. I saw him live and he was incredible.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:36 am 
Posting (live)

Danko/Manuel is awesome but I haven't found any albums I've heard sustain that sort of magic. I should give them some more time soon.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:45 am 
Broken Tamborine

Gods' Die wrote:
And Isbell's songs are great as well in Dirty South. I saw him live and he was incredible.

Have you heard his album from earlier this year? I've been pretty disappointed in his solo stuff based on how much I loved him in the Truckers, but I was (and am) pretty blown away by this one. "Elephant" might be the best song he's ever written.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:07 am 

Blaine Ryan wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:

Have you heard his album from earlier this year? I've been pretty disappointed in his solo stuff based on how much I loved him in the Truckers, but I was (and am) pretty blown away by this one. "Elephant" might be the best song he's ever written.

Yes. It's his first record that comes close to matching what his potential could be. They've too polished and inorganic. Exactly what his music shouldn't be. His solo records have been produced in poor taste. However, his live show is really something to behold.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:23 am 
Broken Tamborine

Gods' Die wrote:
Blaine Ryan wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:

Yes. It's his first record that comes close to matching what his potential could be. They've too polished and inorganic. Exactly what his music shouldn't be. His solo records have been produced in poor taste. However, his live show is really something to behold.

Agreed. His previous albums have all had some genius moments ("Dress Blues," "Alabama Pines"), but this one feels like a complete thought. And it's the first one where I'm not lamenting the fact that Cooley and Hood aren't backing him. Who'd of thought him getting sober and happilywed would result in better music, eh?

PostPosted: Wed December 11, 2013 4:05 am 
Broken Tamborine

Blaine Ryan wrote:
I'd second The Dirty South. One of my all-time favorite albums, and for my money the best rock album of the '00's. .

Been listening to this a lot over the last few days and am really enjoying it. The lyrics on a couple of tracks are pretty striking. As for Where the Devil Don't Stay...well. That is a fucking monster of a tune.

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 11:49 pm 
Gone

I pre ordered the vinyl purely based on the awesome artwork. Does anyone know if these guys still have good albums in them or is this one just going to sit on the shelf and look pretty?

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 12:23 am 
Broken Tamborine

I've loved every album they've made since Pizza Deliverance.

And according to a buddy of mine who's heard the leak (I'm holding out for a physical copy, 'cause I'm square like that), English Oceans is their best since The Dirty South.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 7:48 pm 

Lots of Cooley on this one...which is excellent. I really like these guys and they're super consistent but it's been a while since they've released a no doubt great song.

I am definitely pumped that I'll be seeing these guys next month.

PostPosted: Thu March 06, 2014 10:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

This one will probably end up being middle of the pack for me, but I really like it.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands