The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mumford & Sons
PostPosted: Tue March 10, 2015 9:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

i think the whole album will have a different vibe than the last two. Marcus had little to do in the writing of this one.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2015 8:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stickman wrote:
i think the whole album will have a different vibe than the last two. Marcus had little to do in the writing of this one.

Huh. Interesting. Do we know why?

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2015 4:46 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm an unapologetic fan of Mumford & Sons. Love 'em. LOVE 'EM! First album is GREAT. Second album is strong and full of things to love. I'm all for changing things up and exploring something different with your sound. I had extremely high hopes for this. But that first song is a bit...

I'm not feeling it. I don't know.

im kind of with you. I loved SNM, saw them a couple times early on, once in London at a small theatre in 2011 and they were great.

This new song blows.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2015 12:27 am 
Rank This Poster

I really liked SNM when it dropped. I still can listen to it and enjoy it. Second album was not as good. To me they were really influenced by the Avett Brothers (Mumford covers Go To Sleep very well) who I love but TAB are far superior. Way better songwriting. I digress.....

I saw them in 2011 when they started getting huge. Sold out crowd and by far the best crowd I have ever seen at this venue and I have probably seen 50 shows at this venue. It started pouring rain during the encore which was fun. Link below.

Agreed this new song is not very good at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXDrUXJOChI

PostPosted: Thu April 09, 2015 8:13 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

new single

PostPosted: Thu April 09, 2015 9:04 pm 

yup....Coldplay

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2015 4:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mumford & Sons Diss Jay Z’s Tidal
The Grammy-winning U.K. folk rock group slams the ‘rich, wealthy artists’ backing the rapper’s streaming music service and rejects Taylor Swift’s stance, too.

A chorus of fart sounds. Loud ones.

I’m seated across from the UK folk band Mumford & Sons in a spacious apartment in downtown Manhattan, and the subject of Jay Z’s recent subscription music service Tidal comes up. You know, the $20-per-month artist-owned streaming music site offering high-fidelity audio and exclusive video clips to gullible starfuckers that was unveiled in a gaudy, live-streamed circle jerk wherein a murderer’s row of multimillionaire artists—Jay Z, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Madonna, Jack White, Daft Punk, Kanye West, etc.—proclaimed they were out to “forever change the course of music history” before signing a declaration of independence. All in all it was a ridiculous, wildly out of touch spectacle.

To Mumford & Sons, the very mention of Tidal is greeted by a series of loud fart sounds. And no, they were not asked by Mr. Z to join Team Tidal.

“We wouldn’t have joined it anyway, even if they had asked. We don’t want to be tribal,” says frontman Marcus Mumford. “I think smaller bands should get paid more for it, too. Bigger bands have other ways of making money, so I don’t think you can complain. A band of our size shouldn’t be complaining. And when they say it’s artist-owned, it’s owned by those rich, wealthy artists.”

Now, Mumford & Sons aren’t struggling. Their sophomore album, Babel, was nominated for eight Grammy Awards—winning Album of the Year—and also achieved the distinction of highest-selling debut of the year, with 600,000 copies sold in its first week alone. And while they’re not down with Tidal, they also don’t support Taylor Swift’s anti-Spotify stance, which she revealed in an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal last year.

“Music is art, and art is important and rare,” wrote Swift. “Important, rare things are valuable. Valuable things should be paid for. It’s my opinion that music should not be free, and my prediction is that individual artists and their labels will someday decide what an album’s price point is. I hope they don’t underestimate themselves or undervalue their art.”

Mumford & Sons guitarist Winston Marshall also has harsh words for Tidal, calling the A-list artists who participated in the aforementioned ceremony “new school fucking plutocrats.”

“We don’t want to be part of some Tidal ‘streaming revolution’ nor do we want to be Taylor Swift and be anti-it,” Marshall says. “I don’t understand her argument, either. The focus is slightly missed. Music is changing. It’s fucking changing. This is how people are going to listen to music now—streaming. So diversify as a band. It doesn’t mean selling your songs to adverts. We look at our albums as stand-alone pieces of art, and also as adverts for our live shows.”

Adds Mumford, “What I’m not into is the tribalistic aspect of it—people trying to corner bits of the market, and put their face on it. That’s just commercial bullshit. We hire people to do that for us rather than having to do that ourselves. We just want to play music, and I don’t want to align myself with Spotify, Beats, Tidal, or whatever. We want people to listen to our music in their most comfortable way, and if they’re not up for paying for it, I don’t really care.”

Despite their objections to Tidal, the group feels that it’s a very exciting time to be a young, new band. Technology (and the Internet) has now made it possible for bands to record and release music divorced from the record industry apparatus—via YouTube, Soundcloud, recording apps, you name it.

“Smaller bands have a better opportunity in the music industry now than they’ve ever had, because you don’t need to have a record deal to have your music listened to worldwide,” Mumford says. “It’s democratized the music industry. So as much as it sucks, and they need to figure out how to represent people fairly financially, you’ve never been able to get your music listened to more easily.”

PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2015 7:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

"gullible starfuckers"

this is what I think of when I see someone wearing Beats headphones

PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2015 7:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2015 8:52 pm 

no banjo. no kick drum.
same slow building, then over arching peak, then jam - on top of overly descriptive dramatic lyrics.

i think i might be officially off their wagon.

PostPosted: Mon April 20, 2015 9:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

They really fucked it up this time

PostPosted: Tue April 21, 2015 2:26 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 2:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the new album is dog shit.

Safety Suit.

'05 - 9/15, 9/16
'06 - 5/12, 5/13
'08 - 6/28, 6/30
'10 - 5/17
'11 - 9/12
'13 - 10/12, 10/15, 10/16, 10/25, 10/29
'16 - 08/25
'17 - 80/30
'18 - 8/10, 8/20, 9/4, 9/29

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 4:10 pm 
The Master

I think its funny now the press must refer to them as "rock band mumford and suns releases new single..."

Rock band.

"Message to members of the press. In order to rebrand the group that is commonly referred to as mumford and suns, we now request that you refer to them only as "rock band" instead of Image"

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 11:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

theplatypus wrote:

Awesome! :haha:

PostPosted: Wed April 22, 2015 11:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
I think its funny now the press must refer to them as "rock band mumford and suns releases new single..."

Rock band.

"Message to members of the press. In order to rebrand the group that is commonly referred to as mumford and suns, we now request that you refer to them only as "rock band" instead of Image"

Rock is such a loose term now. The late 90's kind of killed rock music. Train was getting nominated for rock awards. FUCKING TRAIN! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu April 23, 2015 4:01 am 
The Master

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Strat wrote:

Rock band.

Rock is such a loose term now. The late 90's kind of killed rock music. Train was getting nominated for rock awards. FUCKING TRAIN! :roll:

will the son ever set on train?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:11 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:22 am 

they walked into the kitchen and caught that pan

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20421-wilder-mind/

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:19 pm 
AnalLog

godeatgod wrote:
they walked into the kitchen and caught that pan

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20421-wilder-mind/

When I read a review like that from Pitchfork it usually means I'm really going to like the album. Nods to Springsteen and Petty, "singing in his Chris Martin voice"... sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

So far I'm loving what I've heard. Hope the rest of the album is more Believe and Wolf and less banjo and kitsch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands