The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you like in a bar playlist?
PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:09 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
1. Why nothing in the last several years? That's weird.

2. Why does Bon Jovi have to be ironic?

3. What's wrong with The Black Keys?

1. I already explained why.

2. It doesn't have to be, but it stands a good chance of being called "cheesy" or similar by your audience. I'm not making a judgement call on his music, I'm just having an awareness that lots of people would regard that music as cheesy and so it strikes me as rude and ignorant that a bartender would knowingly play it despite that likely reaction.

3. They fucking suck.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:11 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
1. Why nothing in the last several years? That's weird.

2. Why does Bon Jovi have to be ironic?

3. What's wrong with The Black Keys?

1. I already explained why.

2. It doesn't have to be, but it stands a good chance of being called "cheesy" or similar by your audience. I'm not making a judgement call on his music, I'm just having an awareness that lots of people would regard that music as cheesy and so it strikes me as rude and ignorant that a bartender would knowingly play it despite that likely reaction.

3. They fucking suck.

1. I don't accept your first explanation. Either elaborate and give me another one.

2. Fair enough. However, as I said earlier, the one caveat is Living on a Prayer, which is a song I've literally never seen go unappreciated and respected in any bar ever. That song is magical and guarantees a magnificent evening.

3. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:14 pm 
Future Drummer

It's not a proper playlist for a bar without Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

surfndestroy wrote:
It's not a proper playlist for a bar without Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town.

This is certainly true in Philly.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

"99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:25 pm 
Production Police

I worked in a bustling lunch cafe one time that was playing Sunny Day Real Estate. An older woman, probably late 60s/early 70s, came up to the counter and asked the owner if he would mind changing it. He got all defensive and said "Ma'am, this is my establishment and I'll play whatever I want to hear." What a shitty attitude to share with his guests; he can listen to SDRE when he's cleaning up for the night, or when he's home, or whatever.

Hospitality is about making as many people as comfortable as possible, and that usually requires some compromise on your own level of comfort.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Trag gets it

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I mean, I do understand. But that also feels really old and out dated to me. As someone who works in hospitality/customer service (and always has), I gotta say I'm ready for the death of the Disney-concept of hospitality. This whole "the customer is always right" thing needs to die.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:37 pm 
Production Police

From a white paper I just happened to get in my mail, totally relevant to the topic at hand:

Quote:
THE PSYCHOLOGY
OF NOSTALGIC EATING
According to a 2015 study by Jordan Troisi and a team of researchers at the University of the South and the State University of New York, nostalgic comfort food is associated with close relationships and may be sought out in response to feeling isolated or threatened. Participants in the study kept a daily diary documenting their food choices and emotional state throughout a 14-day period.

Participants who had securely attached (close familial) relationships were more likely to consume comfort food when they experienced isolation. The study thus suggests that consumers are motivated to eat comfort food based on its “special association with close relationships.”

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

"The study thus suggests that consumers are motivated to eat comfort food based on its 'special association with close relationships.'"

Seems like a no-brainer, right?

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:41 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
"The study thus suggests that consumers are motivated to eat comfort food based on its 'special association with close relationships.'"

Sure, I just think it has bearing on what sort of music gets selected.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:42 pm 
Production Police

And to counter my own argument, it might very well be that your establishment's identity rests on Bon Jovi, or Fugazi, or a certain type of music that will draw a certain crowd. But for most places -- those places that seek to attract anyone and everyone -- I think erring o the side of "the most comfort for the most people" is the safe way to go.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Sure, I just think it has bearing on what sort of music gets selected.

Oh, totally. I can see where that connects. What's interesting, at least here in NYC, is how the millennial attitude shifts all of this. They want unique and authentic experiences. There's much more focus here on allowing a space for one to curate their own experience than there is in provided a curated experience. It's really fascinating to witness.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
And to counter my own argument, it might very well be that your establishment's identity rests on Bon Jovi, or Fugazi, or a certain type of music that will draw a certain crowd. But for most places -- those places that seek to attract anyone and everyone -- I think erring o the side of "the most comfort for the most people" is the safe way to go.

I would tend to agree with you here. Good post.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 5:56 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

John I'm only dancing
She said, she said
All the young Dudes

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 6:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

For me, I think it would be mainly 60 years of various rock music. Anything from Buddy Holly to The Rolling Stones, to Jimi Hendrix, to Bowie, Black Sabbath, to Tom Petty, to The Cars, to The Clash, to Nirvana, to Wilco, to MMJ. Maybe some old school hip-hop too, like Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Run-DMC, Beastie Boys, Tribe, Jurassic 5, etc...Probably even a little country like Hank Sr., Hank III, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc...

From my scientific research, I've found the Rolling Stones are a great band to listen to while drinking.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 6:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I tend to enjoy things with a country bend to them when I'm out at a bar. Singer/songwriter stuff, sure. All the stuff d_v mentioned. But any of the songs by those artists that lean country, I'm in.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 6:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ultimately, for me, if I'm with friends at a bar, I'm too invested in conversation to care too much about the music. And if I'm alone, I usually have my headphones on and I listen to what I want to listen to.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 6:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
Ultimately, for me, if I'm with friends at a bar, I'm too invested in conversation to care too much about the music. And if I'm alone, I usually have my headphones on and I listen to what I want to listen to.

very true, if i'm hanging with friends at a bar, which is most likely, i don't want to be distracted by music. it's great in the background, and to have those little moments where you say to a friend, "Ha, i can't believe they're playing this song"... which might lead you to another path of conversation. but the music should never overpower the crowd.

i don't want to be sitting there with friends, having a good time, and Tool comes on.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 6:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

very true, if i'm hanging with friends at a bar, which is most likely, i don't want to be distracted by music. it's great in the background, and to have those little moments where you say to a friend, "Ha, i can't believe they're playing this song"... which might lead you to another path of conversation. but the music should never overpower the crowd.

i don't want to be sitting there with friends, having a good time, and Tool comes on.

Not even Stinkfist?!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands