Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Drop Out of Life with Bong in Hand: the SLEEP thread

Thu April 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Sleep will release their 4th album and first since 1999’s Dopesmoker on 4/20, tomorrow.

Get fucking high and crank that shit loud son.

Re: Drop Out of Life with Bong in Hand: the SLEEP thread

Thu April 19, 2018 7:56 pm

:bammer:

Thu April 19, 2018 8:02 pm

run2death wrote::bammer:

:bammer:

Thu April 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Although in reality, "Dopesmoker" was really released in 2003. "Jerusalem" was released in 1999 and was a heavily edited version of what the band turned in to London Records.

Thu April 19, 2018 8:09 pm

run2death wrote:Although in reality, "Dopesmoker" was really released in 2003. "Jerusalem" was released in 1999 and was a heavily edited version of what the band turned in to London Records.

You would be correct.

I just saw them less than 3 weeks ago and they’re still great live.

Thu April 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I always wanted Aaron Turner to work with Sleep.

A match made in metal heaven.

Thu April 19, 2018 9:25 pm

i follow a Sleep playlist on spotify. it's pretty soothing.

Thu April 19, 2018 9:25 pm

oh wait, this is about Sleep music, not sleep music?

Thu April 19, 2018 9:40 pm

^ get educated.

I listened to “Antarctica Thawing” and “Giza Butler” on some guy’s Youtube channel and this goes hard as fuck.

Thu April 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Biggest thing for me will be the production. That early-to-mid 90s stoner rock has a sound that is all the better for the lack of hype, while more modern stuff is pumped up, edited, boosted, and slicked over into something else entirely...

If this new Sleep album sounds like a band in a room, I'll be in love. If it sounds like a Miley Cyrus record but with loud droney guitars, I'm out.

Thu April 19, 2018 10:03 pm

I think you can say that for a lot of recent metal.

The emphasis that gets put on the double-kick drum, makes a lot of otherwise decent metal basically unlistenable to me.

Thu April 19, 2018 10:05 pm

run2death wrote:I think you can say that for a lot of recent metal.

The emphasis that gets put on the double-kick drum, makes a lot of otherwise decent metal basically unlistenable to me.

Ugh, amen brother

Fri April 20, 2018 6:40 am

just started listening to the new album while i do some menial work stuff. i never listen to metal, so i have no idea how this sounds (ie. what trag and r2d are talking about)... curious to hear the consensus. i feel like this is good so far, though.

Fri April 20, 2018 6:45 am

bodysnatcher wrote:just started listening to the new album while i do some menial work stuff. i never listen to metal, so i have no idea how this sounds (ie. what trag and r2d are talking about)... curious to hear the consensus. i feel like this is good so far, though.

Sounds like you and me have the same relationship with this kind of music. I loved Dopesmoker when I heard it, but I never really seek heavy stuff out. The layered patterns and production of Dopesmoker really opened my mind to more stoner/drone type stuff after I heard it. Can't wait to hear this new one later tonight.

Fri April 20, 2018 6:51 am

washing machine wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:just started listening to the new album while i do some menial work stuff. i never listen to metal, so i have no idea how this sounds (ie. what trag and r2d are talking about)... curious to hear the consensus. i feel like this is good so far, though.

Sounds like you and me have the same relationship with this kind of music. I loved Dopesmoker when I heard it, but I never really seek heavy stuff out. The layered patterns and production of Dopesmoker really opened my mind to more stoner/drone type stuff after I heard it. Can't wait to hear this new one later tonight.

yeah, i love the stoner rock type of stuff. but sometimes the "metal" lines get so blurry that i don't know where my interests lie whatsoever, and sometimes they all kind of blend together. i know it's out of pure ignorance of just not exploring the genre more, but i just never found a sound that really struck me. so far, though, i'm really digging this one... albeit i'm listening quietly on small laptop speakers.
Last edited by bodysnatcher on Fri April 20, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri April 20, 2018 6:53 am

Metal's a pretty diverse thing, Sleep keeps it slow and low and it's awesome.

Fri April 20, 2018 6:55 am

yeah i like the "low and slow" stuff for sure

anything that starts to speed up and then has vocals like that "Obey The Law Of Your Heart" grunting, i'm out

Fri April 20, 2018 7:04 am

washing machine wrote:

btw wm (and everyone else), Dopesmoker is available for pre-order on vinyl for just $14.50 now. not sure if that's your thing, i just happened to stumble across it just now

https://southernlord.com/store/dopesmoker/

Fri April 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Fri April 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Hard not to enjoy a line like “The pterodactyl flies again, o'er emerald fields” while that guitar pattern just keeps coming.
Post a reply