The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: The Replacements
PostPosted: Tue January 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
The Master

Fuck you for not loving them. They are the greatest. Maybe...

http://youtu.be/RJcCzWcgPsY

:finger:

Post subject: Re: The Replacements
PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 10:41 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I had such a massive Mats period a few years back. When they were good they were great.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:25 am 

I always thought it a shame that their album which contained Westerberg's best songwriting (Tim, IMO) also had the worst production.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:42 am 
The Master

Fuzzcharger wrote:
I always thought it a shame that their album which contained Westerberg's best songwriting (Tim, IMO) also had the worst production.

You should check out the new documentary. Many fans/writers discuss that issue with Tim. Alas - i still fucking love it.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:49 am 

Strat wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

You should check out the new documentary. Many fans/writers discuss that issue with Tim. Alas - i still fucking love it.

I've been wanting to see that for a while but missed all the screenings at the time and forgot about it but thanks for the remind!

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 3:57 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Why are they nicknamed the 'mats?

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:00 am 

I think it's something to do with shortening it from Replacements --> Place-mats --> 'Mats.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:00 am 
Looks Like a Cat

That's silly.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:01 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Bastards of young is my favorite song from them.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:10 am 
The Master

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Strat wrote:
Fuzzcharger wrote:

I've been wanting to see that for a while but missed all the screenings at the time and forgot about it but thanks for the remind!

its free on youtube right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y2q3mF5Tk0

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 4:12 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Here Comes A Regular and Sadly Beautiful are my favs. Both are haunting as hell.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 5:12 am 

Strat wrote:

Oh nice! Cheers for that :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 7:55 pm 
The Master

:luv:

http://www.vita.mn/crawl/186091751.html

As was evidenced by last week’s national music-blog reports -- simply off the unveiling of the album artwork -- anticipation for the Replacements' reunion EP benefiting Slim Dunlap has been building to a fever pitch. However, new info has been scarce since the projet was revealed back in October. New West Records is finally nailing down all the details and plans to begin the initial roll-out next week, starting with the auctioning of 250 limited editions of the five-song collection.

“Not quite written in stone yet, but the auction should start Jan. 15 and will run for 10 days,” reports New West vice-president Peter Jesperson, the former Replacements manager spearheading the project. The auction will be held via the “Songs for Slim” website on eBay, which proved to be a difficult part of the process that held up the release date, Jesperson said, as did the limited editions’ elaborate custom packaging.

Once the auction ends, the real fun begins for those of us who likely won’t be among the big-bucks donors taking home one of the 250 EPs (but God bless the folks who do help out greatly with Dunlap’s medical needs). New West will then release the EP to radio outlets and digital service providers, and then print up standard vinyl editions for mass distribution.

So yes, folks, you too will get to hear and own a copy of the EP, perhaps even within a month’s time.

Then the other entries in the “Songs for Slim” series will start rolling out in February, with other friends and admirers covering Dunlap’s songs as monthly split 7-inch singles. The first one in the series will be Steve Earle’s version of “Times Like This” b/w Craig Finn’s “Isn't It?” After that comes Lucinda Williams’ “Partners in Crime” b/w Tommy Keene's “Nowhere’s Near.” Some of the other participants to be paired up include Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Jakob Dylan, John Doe, the Jayhawks, Joe Henry, the Minus 5 (with R.E.M.'s Peter Buck) and Curtiss A.

Said Jesperson, “It’s all coming together, just slower than I had expected.” New West is also in the midst of its usual busy first quarter, which includes the Buddy Miller/Jim Lauderdale collaboration out this week and the Feb. 5 release of Richard Thompson’s heavily anticipated new one, “Electric.”

As was previously reported, Westerberg and Stinson recorded four songs together for their EP at Flowers Studio, with local aces Peter Anderson on drums and Kevin Bowe on backup guitar. The tracks are: Dunlap’s “Busted Up,” which was originally all they planned to record; plus new versions of Hank Williams’ “Lost Highway,” Gordon Lightfoot’s “I’m Not Saying” and (gulp!) the Broadway tune “Everything’s Coming Up Roses.” Original ‘Mats drummer Chris Mars was not in on the session but recorded his own version of one of Slim's most charming tunes, “Radio Hook Word Hit,” which is the fifth track on the EP. Now a renowned visual artist, Mars also designed the EP’s artwork. “He’s very much involved,” Jesperson said of Mars, correcting some of the recent reports.

Guitarist for the latter-day lineups of the Replacements (1987-1991) and a fixture in the scene before and after that, Bob "Slim" Dunlap is now back at home in Minneapolis but needs daily nursing care and expensive medications from the stroke he suffered last February.

A Facebook page also been set up under the "Songs for Slim" name, where release information will be updated.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 7:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I can honestly say this is a band I got to know thanks to Strat's enthousiasm. Instantly loved Tim and still do.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 9:56 pm 

Angus wrote:
I can honestly say this is a band I got to know thanks to Strat's enthousiasm. Instantly loved Tim and still do.

Haha...yeah, me as well. I've still only got those 3 albums of theirs but I augmented it with Westerberg's solo shit, which what I have is really good. And I actually initially looked into them (and Westerberg) because of the Singles soundtrack.

Easy to put on and more shit reveals itself after multiple listens.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 9:56 pm 

Oh yeah...and at first on the Mats' records I could not get past what I thought was the worst production I'd ever heard come through my iPod before.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 10:10 pm 

I'm about halfway through the doco and am really enjoying it. Not a lot of new info but the interviewee's enthusiasm is totally relate-able.

I'm assuming the Caryn Rose interviewed is the same writer/PJ fan talked about here?

Let It Be -> Tim -> Pleased to Meet Me is such a great trifecta of records.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 10:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

such a great, great band!

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2013 4:42 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Thu January 17, 2013 11:48 pm 
The Master

I've posted this many times before but this is still one of my favorite performances of one of my favorite Westerberg tunes. So perfect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands