The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
Looks good. I like that Strand of Oaks track. Might need to revisit that album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 3329
Location: right there
Higgs wrote:
Some Songs From 2017

Disc 1 - Girls
01 Chastity Belt - Different Now
02 Camp Cope - Keep Growing
03 Hurray for the Riff Raff - Hungry Ghost
04 Charlotte Gainsbourgh - Deadly Valentine
05 Middle Kids - Your Love
06 Jen Cloher - Regional Echo
07 The Weather Station - Thirty
08 Valerie June - Long Lonely Road
09 Partner - Everybody Knows
10 Camp Cope - Maps (JJJ Like a Version)

Disc 2 - Boys
01 Moon Duo - White Rose
02 Methyl Ethyl - Ubu
03 Rolling Blackouts CF - French Press
04 Whitest Boy Alive - Burning
05 Gang of Youths - Let Me Down Easy
06 Post Malone - Congratulations
07 King Krule - Dum Surfer
08 Tricky - The Only Way
09 West Thebarton Brothel Party - Moving Out
10 Strand of Oaks - Taking Acid and Talking to My Brother

Thanks! I always enjoy your mixes. :worthy:

_________________
It always has to get a little weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 981
I got sidetracked pretty hard, but I finally pulled something together. Went a different route this time than usual. Instead of sticking mainly to what was my favorite stuff, I included tracks that didn't stick so well with me to represent a broader view of what I was listening to throughout the year, and to add a bit of balance to the mix. As such, it's a bit lengthy, and like others, I've taken the liberty of splitting it into two parts.

Brett's 2017 Mix

Disc 1
1. Colin Stetson - All This I Do For Glory (7:20)
2. Avec le Soleil Sortant de sa Bouche - Alizé Et Margaret D. Midi Moins le Quart. Sur la Plage, Un Plamier Ensanglanté (12:52)
3. Mogwai - Brain Sweeties (4:44)
4. Saltland - This Other Place (4:14)
5. Esmerine - La Plume des Armes (5:16)
6. Off World - Wet Max (4:36)
7. Myk Freedman and the Myk Freedmans - North York Folk Music (2:49)
8. Do Make Say Think - Horripilation (10:27)

Disc 2
1. Joni Void - Song Siènne (5:40)
2. Ryan Driver - It's Nothing Time (5:08)
3. Norberto Lobo and Eric Chenaux - The Byre (8:14)
4. Khôra - Polished Bone (3:38)
5. Nick Kuepfer - Quagmire (5:00)
6. Automatisme - F.C. 1 (3:25)
7. Castle If - Sedum Morganianum (3:29)
8. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Bosses Hang (14:45)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu February 02, 2017 10:39 am
Posts: 1892
Location: Most likely at the office...
Thanks for the set, Brett.

_________________
Would you, would you...
Would you be good enough to take me home?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu February 02, 2017 10:39 am
Posts: 1892
Location: Most likely at the office...
LetMeSleep wrote:
Looks good. I like that Strand of Oaks track. Might need to revisit that album.

I enjoyed this from them this year too:

Spoiler: show

_________________
Would you, would you...
Would you be good enough to take me home?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 3329
Location: right there
Higgs wrote:
Thanks for the set, Brett.

_________________
It always has to get a little weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 981
You're both quite welcome. I hope you find something to enjoy in among my weirdness.

I haven't got around to checking any of these out except for Kreng's, which has a number of interesting tunes. Hopefully I can rectify that at some point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Thu January 11, 2018 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
Massive collection here, tmcs. Overall I like a lot of the tracks here but the below mentioned are the ones that have made it to the next stage and I'll be checking out the relevant albums. I really like the chorus of Covered Wagon, it scratches that spot so nicely. The standouts are the John Moreland, Langhorne Slim and that Spoon track grooves, man. I'd be meaning to check out Hurray since I read a review about a year ago.

Nice one and thanks for the good tunes. I find I'm getting about 30-40% of each of these mixes.

1. Covered Wagon, Lo Tom
6. Destroyer, Dead Man Winter
8. Die Young (Echo Mountain Version), Sylvan Esso
10. Perfect Places, Lorde
12. House of My Soul (You Light the Rooms), Langhorne Slim
13. Domino (Time Will Tell), Hiss Golden Messenger
6. Living in the City, Hurray for the Riff Raff
8. Lies I Chose to Believe, John Moreland
15. Tear It Down, Spoon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Thu January 11, 2018 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
Not the high discoveries of last year's Chewie mix. These ones stuck out after my second listen with BSS and Wolf Alice being the picks of the bunch. I've heard a few (Sandy) Alex G tracks and there are bits I like but not a whole song. And The Mynabirds I've heard Be Her Now a few times and not a lot interests me. I'm trying with them but it just passes me by. Great call on The National track.

01. Xiu Xiu - Get Up
03. Perfume Genius - Slip Away
04. Broken Social Scene - Protest Song
08. Wolf Alice - Planet Hunter
12. The Courtneys - Country Song


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Thu January 11, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 1283
Location: WI
LetMeSleep wrote:
Massive collection here, tmcs. Overall I like a lot of the tracks here but the below mentioned are the ones that have made it to the next stage and I'll be checking out the relevant albums. I really like the chorus of Covered Wagon, it scratches that spot so nicely. The standouts are the John Moreland, Langhorne Slim and that Spoon track grooves, man. I'd be meaning to check out Hurray since I read a review about a year ago.

Nice one and thanks for the good tunes. I find I'm getting about 30-40% of each of these mixes.

1. Covered Wagon, Lo Tom
6. Destroyer, Dead Man Winter
8. Die Young (Echo Mountain Version), Sylvan Esso
10. Perfect Places, Lorde
12. House of My Soul (You Light the Rooms), Langhorne Slim
13. Domino (Time Will Tell), Hiss Golden Messenger
6. Living in the City, Hurray for the Riff Raff
8. Lies I Chose to Believe, John Moreland
15. Tear It Down, Spoon


Thanks for listening! Glad you found some good stuff in there. Last year I didn't have any trouble whittling it down to 12 tight tracks, but this year was impossible. Bad year for politics = good year for music, I guess.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
Electrelane (and therefore The Velvets) are all over some of these tracks, Higgs. And that is fine with me. The Hurray album is rising to be the next must listen album. I missed that CCope track and Chastity Belt channel Electrelane quite beautifully. I love a groovy noise out as Moon Duo do so well. Rolling Blackout interest me even though I'm not a fan of the Go-Betweens. When Whitest Boy started it reminded me of Kings Of Convenience (well I'll be damned). Nice mix my friend.

Added to my ever growing playlist
01 Chastity Belt - Different Now
02 Camp Cope - Keep Growing
03 Hurray for the Riff Raff - Hungry Ghost
06 Jen Cloher - Regional Echo
08 Valerie June - Long Lonely Road
01 Moon Duo - White Rose
03 Rolling Blackouts CF - French Press
05 Gang of Youths - Let Me Down Easy
09 West Thebarton Brothel Party - Moving Out


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
Man, I love me a good snc mix. And this one doesn't disappoint either. Starts off with classic lofi, discordant guitar noodles and feedback aplenty. Yes please. Milk Music and The Gotobeds are the picks but all those mentioned below are quite fine indeed. Thanks snc.

David Nance - 5,2 and 4​
Out - End Times
Michael Beach - Endless Pain
Milk Music- Crying Wand
Andew Cohen and Light Coma - Midwest Delerium
The Gotobeds - Flowers Avenue
Mount Eerie - Swims


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:47 pm
Posts: 1906
Yeah! Glad you enjoyed!!

_________________
David Yow wrote:
How are Pearl Jam any different from Toto?


Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 26, 2013 12:34 am
Posts: 4531
Location: Chile
LetMeSleep wrote:
Not the high discoveries of last year's Chewie mix. These ones stuck out after my second listen with BSS and Wolf Alice being the picks of the bunch. I've heard a few (Sandy) Alex G tracks and there are bits I like but not a whole song. And The Mynabirds I've heard Be Her Now a few times and not a lot interests me. I'm trying with them but it just passes me by. Great call on The National track.

01. Xiu Xiu - Get Up
03. Perfume Genius - Slip Away
04. Broken Social Scene - Protest Song
08. Wolf Alice - Planet Hunter
12. The Courtneys - Country Song


Yeah I noticed we used the same National song after I uploaded my mix, I probably would have changed it had I seen it sooner.

Thanks for listening! Sorry you didn't like it as much as last year's but glad you still found some stuff to enjoy. :peace:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17226
Location: Seattle, WA
LetMeSleep wrote:
05 Gang of Youths - Let Me Down Easy


I'm working with a team in AUS right now, and they are all about this band. Finally checked them out this week.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2310
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Yeah! Glad you enjoyed!!


Usually when you post a mix there's 2 things I can count on.. I'm going to know of 0 artists on it, and it's never gonna let down


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2310
I can't even tell names of who I like best because it was bluetoothed from across the room while I was doing stuff


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2018 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18755
Location: Hunter
I have three more mixes to listen and my keep playlist is at 40 tracks.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2018 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Fri January 04, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 778
Brett wrote:
You're both quite welcome. I hope you find something to enjoy in among my weirdness.

I haven't got around to checking any of these out except for Kreng's, which has a number of interesting tunes. Hopefully I can rectify that at some point.

:thumbsup: which stand out for you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2017 End of year Mixtapes
PostPosted: Sun January 14, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 981
kreng wrote:
Brett wrote:
You're both quite welcome. I hope you find something to enjoy in among my weirdness.

I haven't got around to checking any of these out except for Kreng's, which has a number of interesting tunes. Hopefully I can rectify that at some point.

:thumbsup: which stand out for you?

Off the top of my head, Ahmed Malek & Flako, F. S. Blumm, David Grubbs, Kamasi Washington, and Protomartyr.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun August 19, 2018 11:56 pm