Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: From The Fires - A Greta Van Fleet thread

Thu August 09, 2018 7:44 pm

sounds like this

Fri August 10, 2018 3:23 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:This is one of the most embarrassing, cringey, worthless, godawful things that has ever existed

He even directly apes Robert Plant's hand motions and gestures. I've never seen anything like it.

People get up in arms about them NOT REALLY being a total ripoff, like Oasis fans used to, but I seriously don't get that. Are these people freakin' blind and deaf?

Fri August 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Someone needs to tell them that The Sweet and Slade want their early-70's stage costumes back. Someone took a wrong turn before the Led Zeppelin store.

Re: Greta Van Fleet

Sat August 11, 2018 5:52 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
TCB13 wrote:oK, found another thread - but they did just play Lolla and were awesome. I dug up some of their "older" performances and I am really impressed with how much they have improved in a year or so...i might buy a t-shirt

Led Zeppelin rip off

yeah but who cares? We aren't getting any more Led Zep so I'll take it. They may actually get better over time so I'm not ready to dismiss them just yet (plus I kind of like them shhhh).

Sat August 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Well they can’t get worse

Mon August 13, 2018 12:20 pm

They’ve had some buzz for a couple years now and they haven’t got any better. Don’t see why it would change. They need to find some different songwriters.

Mon August 13, 2018 3:23 pm

that stage attire is just :shake:

Tue August 14, 2018 12:42 am

:bammer:

Thu August 30, 2018 8:43 pm

I was thinking about adding some Greta Van Fleet onto the ongoing bar playlist but opted for some Jay Reatard and other Strat suggestions instead.

Thu August 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Mostly because I read this thread and gave GVF a try.

Thu August 30, 2018 9:03 pm

washing machine wrote:I was thinking about adding some Greta Van Fleet onto the ongoing bar playlist but opted for some Jay Reatard and other Strat suggestions instead.

good choice, unless your goal is to lose income

Tue October 23, 2018 11:30 am

Ouch.....

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Tue October 23, 2018 12:09 pm

all the way to the bank

Tue October 23, 2018 1:46 pm

the wretched and caterwauling third brother, Josh

Tue October 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Nailed it:

But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It’s proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn’t need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article. The more unique it sounds, the less chance it has to be placed alongside what you already love. So when the Greta Van Fleet of your favorite artist finally lands on your morning playlist, spark up a bowl of nostalgia and enjoy the self-satisfied buzz of recognizing something you already know. It’s the cheapest high in music.

Tue October 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Pitchfork pretty much nailed it, which is rare. This band is indeed horrible.

Tue October 23, 2018 4:25 pm

I listened to one song once when people were all talking about them. I thought “wow they really want to sound like Led Zeppelin” and never listened again.

I take Pitchfork reviews with a huge grain of salt since they are generally incapable of a positive review on any band or album they don’t define as their cutting edge. Nothing is good unless it falls into their own self-serving insistence upon “indie cred,” which is as useful a term as grunge, alternative, etc.

Tue October 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Tue October 23, 2018 6:08 pm

My favorite part of that review was how it spent an entire paragraph praising The Darkness

Tue October 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Well the Darkness rule so....
Post a reply