The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: From The Fires - A Greta Van Fleet thread
PostPosted: Wed July 18, 2018 9:29 pm 
AnalLog

you have to think the schtick is at least landing these guys mad pussy, right?

PostPosted: Wed July 18, 2018 9:40 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

gardenparty wrote:
you have to think the schtick is at least landing these guys mad pussy, right?

oh for sure

but then again, charles manson got mad 'tang too.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 1:13 am 
A Return To Form

Strat wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Love gvf, pumped to have a real band that plays real instruments

I know I took a ton of heat for this before.. but I find todays style of music god awful.. I get it people are bored with standard guitar-drum-bass bands, but that's what I like and I'm sticking to my guns

This is the closest thing I'll get to a new zep album (I'm sure as time goes on, or maybe even throughout the new album, they'll form their own sound) and I'm cool with it

There are so many guitar based bands with people playing their instruments. So many.

This band sucks.

And if these other bands were any good they'd be just as popular. These guys have so much hype all before an LP is released

You say this band sucks, but they are just as good if not better than individual members of PJ were at the same age (19-20). Pearl Jam was a blues rock based band at the beginning too. Mike McCready can even be quoted in an interview saying he 'tried to sound exactly like Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan'

Nothing wrong with sounding like your influence early on. They're still 19-20 remember, of course they are gonna imitate their idols! they will mature and find their own sound.

Finally, Robert Plant has given them the thumbs up despite the imitation. If they are good enough for him, they're good enough for any zep fan:)

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 1:58 am 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

I know I took a ton of heat for this before.. but I find todays style of music god awful.. I get it people are bored with standard guitar-drum-bass bands, but that's what I like and I'm sticking to my guns

This is the closest thing I'll get to a new zep album (I'm sure as time goes on, or maybe even throughout the new album, they'll form their own sound) and I'm cool with it

There are so many guitar based bands with people playing their instruments. So many.

This band sucks.

Opinions opinions.

Opinions make RM go round.

I mean, some people here think that Father John Misty isn't a boring turgent waste of radio waves, so that's what we know.

Carry on all.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 2:02 am 
Rank This Poster

I remember seeing someone call them a boy band for middle aged white men.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 2:25 am 
tl;dr

This sounds like a band who would deservedly win a high school talent contest, maybe win some local battle of the bands on the side stage at a BBQ cookoff in a city with no discernible arts culture, and then eventually get wiped out in the "America's Got Talent" semifinals by a ventriloquist.

For as much as we all like to go on about how unoriginal and derivative everything is, the fact is that it's really not easy to wipe every single trace of your own personality away from a piece of art. But these guys pull it off -- they aren't "derivative" of Led Zeppelin; Led Zeppelin is literally 100% of their sound. They are basically a tribute band who decided they were going to start writing original material.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 2:29 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

yeah, f*ck these guys

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 2:57 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I quite like these guys

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 3:13 am 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Are you looking for bands that sound like your glory days/classic rock or are you asking about bands that are guitar driven and musicians who play their own instruments? I need to know before I lay down some suggestions

Either way

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 2:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

pappas wrote:
Strat wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

This band sucks.

And if these other bands were any good they'd be just as popular. These guys have so much hype all before an LP is released

You say this band sucks, but they are just as good if not better than individual members of PJ were at the same age (19-20). Pearl Jam was a blues rock based band at the beginning too. Mike McCready can even be quoted in an interview saying he 'tried to sound exactly like Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan'

Nothing wrong with sounding like your influence early on. They're still 19-20 remember, of course they are gonna imitate their idols! they will mature and find their own sound.

Finally, Robert Plant has given them the thumbs up despite the imitation. If they are good enough for him, they're good enough for any zep fan:)

You say hype like it’s a good thing.

Mccready was shredding faces
Stone had finished a run with a fairly influential band with Jeff and was putting together another.
EV already sounded legendary

You really think these guys are gonna write original rock music as good as Ten or Vs in a few short years?

What’s Plant supposed to say? He gave a compliment accompanied with a slight eye roll.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 3:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Does anybody else hear Rush in the singers voice?

Maybe they'll cover/co-opt Rush's sound on the next effort.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 3:50 pm 
The Master

i got bugs wrote:
Strat wrote:
Are you looking for bands that sound like your glory days/classic rock or are you asking about bands that are guitar driven and musicians who play their own instruments? I need to know before I lay down some suggestions

Either way

Drive by truckers
my morning jacket
king tuff
king khan
Jay reatard
Night Beats
White Denim
Cloud Nothings
Japandroids
Yuck
Ty Segall
Hold Steady
Black Lips
Courtney barnett
Queens of the Stoneage
Bash and Pop
The Men

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:11 pm 
The Master

pappas wrote:
Strat wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

This band sucks.

Your popularity argument ain't gonna get you anywhere, fella.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
pappas wrote:
Strat wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

This band sucks.

Your popularity argument ain't gonna get you anywhere, fella.

I finally understand why Smash Mouth was so popular: they were so good.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

They really were

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:16 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
They really were

Put the pot brownies down

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Smash Mouth > Father John Misty and I'm not even being ironic

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:28 pm 
There's really no excuse for not being able to find good music that isn't on the radio nowadays. This board has a whole forum devoted to it. Sometimes people just like shitty shit.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:32 pm 
tl;dr

How does GVF stack up against FJM?

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 4:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Kevin Davis wrote:
How does GVF stack up against FJM?

I probably like FJM a little more, to be honest

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands