The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: From The Fires - A Greta Van Fleet thread
PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 1:37 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

down the hills and far away

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:33 am 
Gone

This band is fucking awful

PostPosted: Wed September 18, 2019 2:49 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

the guitarist does has a 61 les paul though..with a sideways vibrola..

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2019 1:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

doug rr wrote:
the guitarist does has a 61 les paul though..with a sideways vibrola..

Isnt it just a Vibrola?

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2019 1:22 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This thread is 11 pages long

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2019 5:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

You guys gotta stop bumping this thing

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 6:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

verb_to_trust wrote:
I haven't read the thread. Does RM have posters who like this band? If so, I want to make fun of them.

Yes, if their guitarist is this good now, what in 10-20 years? The song writing on the peaceful army album is also good.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 8:15 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I think the two main things I came away with from this thread are:

1. A lot of people here are Led Zeppelin fans, fans of guitar and seem to be waiting for a guitar based rock masterpiece to be released.

2. Lenny's favorite band is greta van fleet, which means the person behind that account doesn't like greta van fleet.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 9:03 pm 
Gone

Nobody likes Greta Van Fleet

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 9:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

burt did

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 9:40 pm 
Gone

Maybe it's good that he got banned then

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 9:49 pm 
Broken Tamborine

verb_to_trust wrote:
Nobody likes Greta Van Fleet

But i wonder if it has more to do with their image, antics and attitudes than it does their music. The stage clothes didnt help. Flannel would have even been better.

The singer sounds like geddie lee more often than zep andthr guitarist's style is somewhat different than page's. The thing about them that sounds the most like zep is the type of keyboard sound they have. So their sound could be labeled a combo of Rush and zep. They dont seem to a total knockoff of a band. Their singer has occasional mishaps but the other band members make up for it.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2020 9:49 pm 
AnalLog

I really really like Led Zeppelin. Im a musician (bassplayer) myself and I love every record LZ ever made. I have studied that shit for years. I consider each member a legend on their instrument. LZ is perhaps the greatest rockband of all time. Every rock musician has LZ in their DNA somewhere. When I was jamming with friends or my own bands sometimes we would jam on a heavy blues riff improv. The singer would pitch his vocals and sing 'mammmmaaa squeeze the lemon babyy....Oohhhh..''
We laughed and had fun. We grabbed another beer and 'talked about the greatness of LZ. And we talked about how some bands found inspiration from LZ and really made something else out of it. Bands like 'the White Stripes', 'Motorpsycho' or 'Soundgarden'. Or even 'Heart' and 'Aerosmith'. All clearly influenced by LZ but each found their own sound. And one time a guitarist mentioned a band from the eighties called 'Kingdom Come'... We watched their videos and thought it was hilarious. They actually made songs from from those drunk LZ jams we did. We all agreed that 'Kingdom Come' was a terrible terrible band.....
And I think this was the song we laughed at:

Flash forward to about a year ago. Im playing in a different band...But we still do the occasional blues jam and talk about the greatness of LZ. But now we are not laughing at Kingdome Come anymore. Instead we joke about Greta Von Fleet. For some reason they found a way to be even more derivative to LZ than Kingdome Come. Greta von Fleet is a terrible terrible band. They have no creative ideas or musical integrity. They are copy-cats of the worst kind. And as a musician myself I can truly say they are fine players but nothing more. But nowhere near to technical brilliance of LZ. Comparing them ro Rush is nonsense. I've played with dozens of local young musicians who are just as good as GVF.

But to each his own.... Some people like GVF and that's fine. Even I thought Highway tune was decent, they had a Wolfmother potential. But Wolfmother's first record is far superior to their output so far.

PostPosted: Sun April 19, 2020 5:13 pm 
Broken Tamborine

joostone wrote:
I really really like Led Zeppelin. Im a musician (bassplayer) myself and I love every record LZ ever made. I have studied that shit for years. I consider each member a legend on their instrument. LZ is perhaps the greatest rockband of all time. Every rock musician has LZ in their DNA somewhere. When I was jamming with friends or my own bands sometimes we would jam on a heavy blues riff improv. The singer would pitch his vocals and sing 'mammmmaaa squeeze the lemon babyy....Oohhhh..''
We laughed and had fun. We grabbed another beer and 'talked about the greatness of LZ. And we talked about how some bands found inspiration from LZ and really made something else out of it. Bands like 'the White Stripes', 'Motorpsycho' or 'Soundgarden'. Or even 'Heart' and 'Aerosmith'. All clearly influenced by LZ but each found their own sound. And one time a guitarist mentioned a band from the eighties called 'Kingdom Come'... We watched their videos and thought it was hilarious. They actually made songs from from those drunk LZ jams we did. We all agreed that 'Kingdom Come' was a terrible terrible band.....

Flash forward to about a year ago. Im playing in a different band...But we still do the occasional blues jam and talk about the greatness of LZ. But now we are not laughing at Kingdome Come anymore. Instead we joke about Greta Von Fleet. For some reason they found a way to be even more derivative to LZ than Kingdome Come. Greta von Fleet is a terrible terrible band. They have no creative ideas or musical integrity. They are copy-cats of the worst kind. And as a musician myself I can truly say they are fine players but nothing more. But nowhere near to technical brilliance of LZ. Comparing them ro Rush is nonsense. I've played with dozens of local young musicians who are just as good as GVF.

But to each his own.... Some people like GVF and that's fine. Even I thought Highway tune was decent, they had a Wolfmother potential. But Wolfmother's first record is far superior to their output so far.

A friend and i were talking today about how we wished we would have spent most of our wasted time as kids and teens on learning instruments. What you and your friends do sounds like a lot of fun. Even my friends and i getting together to play not knowing anything would be fun, how much more what you guys do.

Regarding GVF, you're right, they are kinda like geddie lee playing with zep and the singer occasionally doing a Plant impersonation. BUT for fans of rock instruments it sounds good and other than pj who tend to play conservatively in comparison, this is what we have. Its also exciting to me to have a 2nd band to see live. By the way, i like their song writing, especially on their full album.

I haven't heard wolfmother yet.

I just remembered a couple of bands i used to like a little
who are good on instruments , goverment mule and Moe. I'm not sure what they've done in recent years. These days I lean more toward being a fan of some structure rather than all out jam.

PostPosted: Sun April 19, 2020 5:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

The last moe. album is an absolute classic

PostPosted: Sun April 19, 2020 5:46 pm 
AnalLog

reconstruction_ seeds wrote:
joostone wrote:

A friend and i were talking today about how we wished we would have spent most of our wasted time as kids and teens on learning instruments. What you and your friends do sounds like a lot of fun. Even my friends and i getting together to play not knowing anything would be fun, how much more what you guys do.

Regarding GVF, you're right, they are kinda like geddie lee playing with zep and the singer occasionally doing a Plant impersonation. BUT for fans of rock instruments it sounds good and other than pj who tend to play conservatively in comparison, this is what we have. Its also exciting to me to have a 2nd band to see live. By the way, i like their song writing, especially on their full album.

who are good on instruments , goverment mule and Moe. I'm not sure what they've done in recent years. These days I lean more toward being a fan of some structure rather than all out jam.

Im not really sure if you understood what I was trying to say here. GVF is far far from any musical progression. Saying that PJ plays conservatively in comparison doesn't make any sense to me at all. PJ is a band with a lot of influences. GVF is a band with one, and only one influence. And the comparison with Geddy Lee is just crazy IMO. Geddy Lee is a phenomenal bassplayer. Like John Paul Jones a true inspiration for myself as a bassplayer. Same goes for Jeff Ament. the GVF bassplayer is just playing the simple blues scales and notes. It's fairly simple and not innovative at all. It's the most conservative playing I have heard in years. Same goes for the guitar player. The singer and drummer are just not good at all. The bassplayer and guitarist are ok I gues, but nothing more.

And let's not forget these GVF guys are about the same age as Led Zeppelin members were when they formed......... So saying that they will be as good as those guys in ten years seems odd... Yeah...John Bonham was 19 when he recorded LZ I and changed the drumworld forever.

if you like GVF you'll probably adore the first Wolfmother album, or some albums of 'The Sword', or 'Rival Sons'. All of which have better songwriting and playing.

Sorry, I just don't get the whole appraisal for GVF. I just don''t get...I guess they check conservative boxes for casual listeners.

But this is the only thread to discuss GVF, here you have found your place reconstruction_ seeds :D . Now go check out that first Wolfmother album.

PostPosted: Sun April 19, 2020 7:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

joostone wrote:
joostone wrote:

Im not really sure if you understood what I was trying to say here. GVF is far far from any musical progression. Saying that PJ plays conservatively in comparison doesn't make any sense to me at all. PJ is a band with a lot of influences. GVF is a band with one, and only one influence. And the comparison with Geddy Lee is just crazy IMO. Geddy Lee is a phenomenal bassplayer. Like John Paul Jones a true inspiration for myself as a bassplayer. Same goes for Jeff Ament. the GVF bassplayer is just playing the simple blues scales and notes. It's fairly simple and not innovative at all. It's the most conservative playing I have heard in years. Same goes for the guitar player. The singer and drummer are just not good at all. The bassplayer and guitarist are ok I gues, but nothing more.

And let's not forget these GVF guys are about the same age as Led Zeppelin members were when they formed......... So saying that they will be as good as those guys in ten years seems odd... Yeah...John Bonham was 19 when he recorded LZ I and changed the drumworld forever.

if you like GVF you'll probably adore the first Wolfmother album, or some albums of 'The Sword', or 'Rival Sons'. All of which have better songwriting and playing.

Sorry, I just don't get the whole appraisal for GVF. I just don''t get...I guess they check conservative boxes for casual listeners.

But this is the only thread to discuss GVF, here you have found your place reconstruction_ seeds :D . Now go check out that first Wolfmother album.

I guess sparingly would have been the better word to use for the guitarists in pj.

I just meant the singer often sounds kinda like geddie on vocals.

I didnt mean the guitarist or any in the group would be in zep's playing league in the future.

I checked out rival sons early. I should check out their recent stuff. So far i like GVF better than them and The Sword. The Sword are more metal and Iike rock better. I just like GVF's sound and songs but I'm not saying theyre better than thr bands you mentioned. I'm hoping they will vary their sound and that the vocalist will fix his occasional hang ups.

PostPosted: Sun April 19, 2020 8:07 pm 
AnalLog

joostone wrote:
joostone wrote:

I guess sparingly would have been the better word to use for the guitarists in pj.

I just meant the singer often sounds kinda like geddie on vocals.

I didnt mean the guitarist or any in the group would be in zep's playing league in the future.

I checked out rival sons early. I should check out their recent stuff. So far i like GVF better than them and The Sword. The Sword are more metal and Iike rock better. I just like GVF's sound and songs but I'm not saying theyre better than thr bands you mentioned. I'm hoping they will vary their sound and that the vocalist will fix his occasional hang ups.

For me the singer doesnt sounds like Geddy. Sure, they both have high pitched vocals. But the GVF singer really tries to copy Robert Plant. He tries the exact same phrasing and scales as Plant. Geddy never did anything like that..he wasn't technical able to do so ;) .

Im curious what you think of the first Wolfmother record..

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 6:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

BUMP for bodysnatcher

PostPosted: Fri April 16, 2021 11:05 pm 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
If I ever find myself with authority over a fleet of vans I am going to name it Greta.

Update: This hasn't happened yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands