The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: What mega tournament would you like to see next?
PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 4:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Pretty simple I’d think: a member of PJ had to be a FT member of the other band

So do you include the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Jack Irons), and Soundgarden (Matt Cameron)…and Candlebox!? (Dave Krusen)

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 4:40 pm 
The Master

Maybe exclude the other band if they sold more than a million record BUT if they had more than one PJ member (TOTD) they’re in

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 4:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Maybe exclude the other band if they sold more than a million record BUT if they had more than one PJ member (TOTD) they’re in

By the time we’re done slicing this up, we’ll have an acknowledgement checkbox to submit to the terms and conditions before you can participate.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 5:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Nothing released from a drummer after they left the band. Can include Jack I, Dave A and Dave K only if it was released in the time period they were a member.

Anything from Matt C goes, from the beginning of time until now.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 5:24 pm 
The Master

OK, since this would be a side-project tourney, that implies that:

1. The project has to have begun after PJ's inception. So TOTD is in, Soundgarden is out.

2. The project has to have been active while the band member in question was active in PJ. So no Green Romance Orchestra, Candlebox, etc.

3. For simplicity sake, I think we jettison anything that qualifies as a compilation: No Flag Day soundtrack, none of Mike's soundtrack work.

4. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider Boom and Klinghoffer to be hired guns and not contributing members, so the Po Fathers and Pluralone stuff is out.

Seem fair?

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 5:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Think pre-Pearl Jam could be fair game as well, like MLB, Green River, Bad Radio etc.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Let's make this happen.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:10 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Think pre-Pearl Jam could be fair game as well, like MLB, Green River, Bad Radio etc.

those aren't side projects, most of us have probably heard it all before, and a lot of it is awful. Why subject ourselves to this?

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:

1. The project has to have begun after PJ's inception. So TOTD is in, Soundgarden is out.

2. The project has to have been active while the band member in question was active in PJ. So no Green Romance Orchestra, Candlebox, etc.

3. For simplicity sake, I think we jettison anything that qualifies as a compilation: No Flag Day soundtrack, none of Mike's soundtrack work.

4. I don't think it's unreasonable to consider Boom and Klinghoffer to be hired guns and not contributing members, so the Po Fathers and Pluralone stuff is out.

Seem fair?

Couple of points of order: we need a 90s rock historian to trace the history of Wellwater Conspiracy, who would I think be out due to these rules since their first album is in 1997 and Matt Cameron joined Pearl Jam in 1998. Hater similarly out since the first album is 1993(?). Eleven out since the first album I think predates Jack Irons in Pearl Jam.

Under these rules, Into the Wild is out.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think you should make an exception for Wellwater Conspiracy, mainly because I would want to draft those songs.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:31 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Seem fair?

Couple of points of order: we need a 90s rock historian to trace the history of Wellwater Conspiracy, who would I think be out due to these rules since their first album is in 1997 and Matt Cameron joined Pearl Jam in 1998. Hater similarly out since the first album is 1993(?). Eleven out since the first album I think predates Jack Irons in Pearl Jam.

Under these rules, Into the Wild is out.

Why is Into the Wild out? It's not a compilation, the whole thing is by Ed.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:35 pm 
The Master

Also I'd be glad to make an exception for WWC, on the grounds that it was clearly never intended to be a primary focus and that it continued well into his tenure with the band.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

If Mike’s soundtracks are out, which are all Mike, then why would Into the Wild be in?

I mean, Into the Wild is a compilation of covers and originals meant as a soundtrack to a film in a similar universe to Flag Day, where Ed appears in one form or another on most of the tracks.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I would define the rules as follows:

- No bands where that band enjoyed an extensive level of commercial success that would defy the spirit of this exercise (I.e. Soundgarden, RHCP, Candlebox).

- eligibility as a side project must includes only projects from band members central to more than one album (Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Mike McCready, Matt Cameron, Dave A., Jack Irons)

- single or minimal contribution to a project does not count (I.e. Star Anna is out).

Which means we then should compile the list of eligible projects.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I have no objection to eliminating scores, which would eliminate Sadie and The Glamour and the Squalor - those are mostly sketches anyway than songs.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 6:55 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
If Mike’s soundtracks are out, which are all Mike, then why would Into the Wild be in?

I mean, Into the Wild is a compilation of covers and originals meant as a soundtrack to a film in a similar universe to Flag Day, where Ed appears in one form or another on most of the tracks.

Because Mike's soundtracks often include recordings other artists (like The Searcher). I'm honestly not too familiar with this part of his discography, so if there are any soundtracks that are primarily his work, than I'm find to include them. Conversely, Eddie is featured on every track of ITW.

As for Flag Day, I haven't listened to it yet. Isn't he only on like half the songs?

liebzz wrote:
I would define the rules as follows:

- No bands where that band enjoyed an extensive level of commercial success that would defy the spirit of this exercise (I.e. Soundgarden, RHCP, Candlebox).

- eligibility as a side project must includes only projects from band members central to more than one album (Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Mike McCready, Matt Cameron, Dave A., Jack Irons)

- single or minimal contribution to a project does not count (I.e. Star Anna is out).

Which means we then should compile the list of eligible projects.

I agree with all this. But I still think it's too broad in scope, an we'd have to get into Deranged Diction, Eleven, etc. It really should be limited to projects started after PJ began, IMO (with a possible exception for WWC because they are widely celebrated).

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 8:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ed sings on about half the tracks but I think he is involved in most of them.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 8:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I get what you are saying. My concern is whether a couple individual voices could or should nix Eleven or Deranged Diction because we may not like it. It’s also an opportunity to expose some to these projects that didn’t know about them or never took the time to listen but might if they get to vote on it.

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 8:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I don't think Eleven fits any timeline: Jack's work with the band neatly either pre or post-dates his time with Pearl Jam.

(note: they also have that album - Thunk - where Jack left halfway through to join Pearl Jam, and the remaining tracks were recorded by Matt Cameron!)

PostPosted: Tue March 08, 2022 8:41 pm 
The Master

liebzz wrote:
I get what you are saying. My concern is whether a couple individual voices could or should nix Eleven or Deranged Diction because we may not like it. It’s also an opportunity to expose some to these projects that didn’t know about them or never took the time to listen but might if they get to vote on it.

They're not side projects. If you want to reframe this as "extended PJ family tree," I'd have no argument. But as alternative creative outlets for the guys in PJ, they just don't fit the bill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands