The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 1:29 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #06

Q: I have experienced the death of my father, my sister, and my first love in the past few years and feel that I have some communication with them, mostly through dreams. They are helping me. Are you and Susie feeling that your son Arthur is with you and communicating in some way? (CYNTHIA, SHELBURNE FALLS, VT, USA)

A: Dear Cynthia,

This is a very beautiful question and I am grateful that you have asked it. It seems to me, that if we love, we grieve. That’s the deal. That’s the pact. Grief and love are forever intertwined. Grief is the terrible reminder of the depths of our love and, like love, grief is non-negotiable. There is a vastness to grief that overwhelms our minuscule selves. We are tiny, trembling clusters of atoms subsumed within grief’s awesome presence. It occupies the core of our being and extends through our fingers to the limits of the universe. Within that whirling gyre all manner of madnesses exist; ghosts and spirits and dream visitations, and everything else that we, in our anguish, will into existence. These are precious gifts that are as valid and as real as we need them to be. They are the spirit guides that lead us out of the darkness.

I feel the presence of my son, all around, but he may not be there. I hear him talk to me, parent me, guide me, though he may not be there. He visits Susie in her sleep regularly, speaks to her, comforts her, but he may not be there. Dread grief trails bright phantoms in its wake. These spirits are ideas, essentially. They are our stunned imaginations reawakening after the calamity. Like ideas, these spirits speak of possibility. Follow your ideas, because on the other side of the idea is change and growth and redemption. Create your spirits. Call to them. Will them alive. Speak to them. It is their impossible and ghostly hands that draw us back to the world from which we were jettisoned; better now and unimaginably changed.

With love, Nick.

PostPosted: Thu November 01, 2018 1:54 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 6:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #07

Q: How have the topics of women, consent, and relationships in general changed in your works during the cultural sea changes (such as the one we are experiencing now)? I ask this not only because of current events, but also because throughout all the iterations of your work, you have addressed women with adoration, irreverence, worship, disdain, respect, horror, empathy and well, the list goes on. It's a fascinating range in general, especially for someone who seems to clearly be a supporter of women, female artists, and a bit of the misandry. (And, as a woman, it's refreshing to have all those representations from one artist.) (MERRITT, DALLAS, TX, USA)

A: Dear Merritt,

Thank you for your kind words. I find them very encouraging because, every now and then, my songs draw the disdain of certain people who believe that the way I represent women in my songs is reductive and objectifying and somehow does insult to the notion of womanhood. I think at heart they may feel a discomfort at the undue interest I pay to women in my songs – and to give the devil his due, women are indeed a singular obsession.

The truth is I have very little understanding of women at all, they remain deep mysteries containing multitudes – and this is exactly why I enjoy writing about them. It is their feral energy and their seemingly limitless capacity for wonder that, for me, is their undying attraction, both on the page and off. Twenty years on and I am still trying to define Susie, my wife, in song, but it’s a losing battle. I have come to see that there is a wild and mercurial energy within her that my words will never contain, and that this bright energy is connected to her own singular and restless fascination with the world. It has little to do with me.

As to the recent “cultural sea changes” affecting women, I feel that they are in danger of eroding those bright edges of personhood, and grinding them down into monotonous identity politics – where some women have traded in their inherent wildness and sense of awe, for a one-size-fits-all protestation against a uniform concept of maleness which I’m not sure I recognise.

Whatever happened between us, it saddens me that something of our individual nature has disappeared into the divide, our unique voices are being worn down and everyone is communicating within the safe and strident anti-wonder of grievance politics.

As to whether this cultural sea change would make me more cautious with what I write, well, I’m not sure. It feels like time itself serves as a sort of corrective and there are lyrics I wrote back then which I simply wouldn’t write now, just as my younger self would probably look at what I write now and roll his crazed and blood-shot eyes in scorn. I would hope that the general shift in my lyrics is towards a compassion that is human by nature, rather than tribal. That is not divisive or exclusionary, but for everyone. I hope that some of the songs may even draw on that fierce feminine energy – a particular energy I witness when I perform on stage – and also that special sense of female wonder.

Love, Nick

___

Q: It's clear that Susie is an incredible woman and a creative and intuitive force in your life. How much of her influence do you call on for when you need inspiration and also, do you ever run ideas past her before you put them to the band? (NICK, WINDSOR, UK)

A: Dear Nick,

Once I married Susie, I set about trying to capture her. To write about Susie feels like trying to break a code that is constantly rearranging itself. Most of the time, I fail. My songs end up as scraps of paper rustling around the feet of a sixty-foot woman.

I never show her a lyric before it is recorded. This is a matter of survival. I don’t show anybody, anything, actually. I write the lyric, record it with the Bad Seeds, and then offer up the finished songs.

Playing the completed record to Susie for the first time is part pleasure, part terror for both of us. It is difficult to exaggerate how much I care what she thinks and, of course, she knows that I do. I suspect the pressure on her at this moment is immense as she navigates the terminal insecurities of her husband.

Yet the music plays, and the songs come to the rescue and Susie falls inside them and loses herself and sometimes they even get the tears rolling. And there is the pleasure! I suspect some of those tears are tears of relief. Mine are.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 7:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #08

Q: If somebody told you that the world was going to end in the next, let's say, 72 hours, what would you do in those 72 hours? (ELETTRA, BERLIN, GERMANY)

A: Dear Elettra,

I'd freak the fuck out.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Tue November 27, 2018 12:50 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

:haha:

PostPosted: Wed December 05, 2018 2:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #09

Q: Are there times your creativity disappears and if so how do you coax it back / jump start it? (JO, TORONTO, CANADA)

A: Dear Jo,

Creativity is not something that can disappear. The creative impulse is simply the strategy used to catch ideas. Ideas are everywhere and forever available, provided you are prepared to accept them. This takes a certain responsibility to the artistic process. There is discipline and rigour and preparation involved. You must prove yourself worthy of the idea.

I have rarely sat down at my desk with something to say, other than I am ready. The sitting comes first, turning up with a certain alertness to possibility. Only then does the idea feel free to settle. It settles small and very tentatively, then, through your active attention, it can grow into something much bigger. Sitting in a readied state can sometimes last a long and anxious time. But you must not despair! I have never found a situation where the idea refuses to come to the prepared mind.

While you are in this prepared state, be the thing you want to be. If it is a writer, then write. Initially, stream of consciousness is fine. Write without judgement and self-condemnation. Write playfully and recklessly. Even if this initial writing appears of little value, keep going, for the beautiful idea has awakened and is moving toward you, as it responds to your display of intent.

The idea is especially designed for you in your uniqueness. If you are not there to receive it, or indeed you are not yourself when it arrives or, heaven forbid, disguised as someone else, the idea may scare and vanish away and be lost forever. It is you that it is searching for and you alone. Be yourself. The idea is moving closer.

Ideas are timid things, in my experience. They come as whispers and you need to hold them in honest regard in order to receive them. Perhaps the idea is as scared as you. Perhaps the idea is as invisible as you may sometimes feel. It may be that the idea is simply mirroring your internal self and is reluctant to settle in a mind that is heavy with uncertainty, and that is repeating ancient mantras of self-doubt. These voices can best be banished by a spirited disobedience, a playful defiance. Disobey the voices by continuing to write. They are a lot less robust than they appear. The idea is closing in.

So, Jo, here are some suggestions as to what to do:

Sit down. Be yourself. Be prepared. Be attentive. Defy the voices. Be the thing you want to be. Write. Be playful. Be reckless. Remember that you are uniquely designed for the idea that is moving toward you. You are good enough. The idea is about to arrive.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Wed December 05, 2018 2:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #10

Q: In your 'notebook full of words' do you record pieces of your subconscious? I wonder what your dreams look like and how much they influence the imagery of your writing. (IRINA, LONDON, UK)

A: Dear Irina,

Vicious killers had kidnapped Warren. The kidnappers had emailed me a list of demands. I had to write a letter back agreeing to their demands. The letter I was composing was in exactly the same format as a Red Hand Files issue, with the same blood red Cambria font, the same cream coloured background. The problem was I was having a technical issue formatting the letter. The letters kept scrambling. The font kept changing. The little red hand logo wouldn’t stand up. Time was running out. I woke up, shaking.

I had read your question regarding dreams before I went to sleep that night. Your question must have provoked this dream, as it is the first remembered dream I have had in a very long time.

I think there is a reason for this. As a songwriter, most of my waking life is spent in a kind of dream time. Many writers will tell you the same. We are professional dreamers. We work, therefore we dream. Even when I am not at my desk writing, and am going about my ‘normal’ life, the residual trails of the words I’ve been working on still weave around me like dreams.

For this reason, my actual dreaming while asleep does not feel particularly active. At least, not at the moment. I hardly ever remember anything I dream and if I do, images that are thrown up are rarely useful in my work. I never write them down.

Having said that, I wrote this dream down. It’s for you. Thank you for awakening it. I rang Warren. He seems to be okay.

Much love, Nick

PostPosted: Wed December 05, 2018 2:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #11

Q: As an atheist I find other people's belief in a god both incomprehensible and fascinating. Is there any way you can explain your faith? (ALI, LONDON, UK)

Q: Do you believe in God? I mean personal, not through your songs. (MAGGIE, LONDON, UK)

Q: Does God exist? (JOÃO, RIO, BRAZIL)

Q: Can it be you've given up the quest for God? (PETER, DENVER, USA)

A: Dear Ali, Maggie, João and Peter and the many people who have asked similar God related questions.

I’ve been circling around the idea of God for decades. It’s been a slow creep around the periphery of His Majesty, pen in hand, trying to write God alive. Sometimes, I think, I have almost succeeded. The more I become willing to open my mind to the unknown, my imagination to the impossible and my heart to the notion of the divine, the more God becomes apparent. I think we get what we are willing to believe, and that our experience of the world extends exactly to the limits of our interest and credence. I am interested in the idea of possibility and uncertainty. Possibility, by its very nature, extends beyond provable facts, and uncertainty propels us forward. I try to meet the world with an open and curious mind, insisting on nothing other than the freedom to look beyond what we think we know.

Does God exist? I don’t have any evidence either way, but I am not sure that is the right question. For me, the question is what it means to believe. The thing is, against all my better judgement, I find it impossible not to believe, or at the very least not to be engaged in the inquiry of such a thing, which in a way is the same thing. My life is dominated by the notion of God, whether it is His presence or His absence. I am a believer – in both God’s presence and His absence. I am a believer in the inquiry itself, more so than the result of that inquiry. As an extension of this belief, my songs are questions, rarely answers.

In the end, with all respect, I haven’t the stomach for atheism and its insistence on what we know. It feels like a dead end to me, unhelpful and bad for the business of writing. I share many of the problems that atheists have toward religion – the dogma, the extremism, the hypocrisy, the concept of revelation with its many attendant horrors – I am just at variance with the often self-satisfied certainty that accompanies the idea that God does not exist. It is simply not in my nature. I have, for better or for worse, a predisposition toward perverse and contradictory thinking. Perhaps this is something of a curse, but the idea of uncertainty, of not knowing, is the creative engine that drives everything I do. I may well be living a delusion, I don’t know, but it is a serviceable one that greatly improves my life, both creatively and otherwise.

So, do I believe in God? Well, I act like I do, for my own greater good. Does God exist? Maybe, I don’t know. Right now, God is a work in progress.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Sat December 08, 2018 4:42 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Red Hand Files - #12

Q: In response to Elettra of Berlin (Issue #8), you said you'd "freak the fuck out" if the world were about to end in 72 hours. Great answer. But would that be for the whole 72 hours? (JAMES, SKIPTON, ENGLAND)

A: Dear James,

Okay, good point. First off, I would investigate the person who was making the claim to see if they were a reliable source of information and not some lunatic on the street with a cardboard sign. If the person making the claim seemed credible, I would look at the reason why the world was going to end. If it was scientific in nature such as an impact event with an asteroid (which would make sense since we had been given 72 hours notice), rather than say, a random nuclear attack (where we would be given no such warning), or AI undermining us to the point of non-existence, or over-population, or all humans losing the will to live at the same time (a distinct possibility), or a catastrophic fungal pandemic, or extreme weather (all of which would happen incrementally, not in exactly 72 hours) then I would go to the appropriate channels and check out the science.

If there was a consensus among scientists, who, after all, are in the business of knowing stuff - stuff like, for example, climate change, the mother of all apocalyptic fears, where 97% of scientists ascribe the cause to humankind - I would probably take their word for it and not be so negligent as to deny their projection.

I would then proceed to do everything I could to stop it. I would make a call to my friend Bono. If even Bono couldn’t stop it, and there was simply no hope - with annihilation absolutely and unambiguously inevitable - I would gather my family together, hold them tightly and speak some comforting words. I would take their hands and pray quietly for a moment, because collective prayer can have a calming effect, and I would pray to the possibility of a god, and that the afterlife was a Christian one (where my family and I may have a slim chance of getting in) and not a Muslim one (where we wouldn’t) or a Hindu one (where we may all come back as cockroaches) or a Jewish one (which, as far as I can make out, is pretty much bad news for everyone).

I would ring my mother. I would pet the dogs. I would then turn to my wife, look into her lovely eyes, push a strand of hair from her face and quietly tell her that I loved her, have always loved her and would continue to love her till the end of the world. Then, and only then, would I, with great force of meaning and extreme prejudice, freak the fuck out.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2019 5:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Considering human imagination the last piece of wilderness, do you think AI will ever be able to write a good song?

Quote:
Dear Peter,

In Yuval Noah Harari’s brilliant new book 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, he writes that Artificial Intelligence, with its limitless potential and connectedness, will ultimately render many humans redundant in the work place. This sounds entirely feasible. However, he goes on to say that AI will be able to write better songs than humans can. He says, and excuse my simplistic summation, that we listen to songs to make us feel certain things and that in the future AI will simply be able to map the individual mind and create songs tailored exclusively to our own particular mental algorithms, that can make us feel, with far more intensity and precision, whatever it is we want to feel. If we are feeling sad and want to feel happy we simply listen to our bespoke AI happy song and the job will be done.

But, I am not sure that this is all songs do. Of course, we go to songs to make us feel something – happy, sad, sexy, homesick, excited or whatever – but this is not all a song does. What a great song makes us feel is a sense of awe. There is a reason for this. A sense of awe is almost exclusively predicated on our limitations as human beings. It is entirely to do with our audacity as humans to reach beyond our potential.

It is perfectly conceivable that AI could produce a song as good as Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit, for example, and that it ticked all the boxes required to make us feel what a song like that should make us feel – in this case, excited and rebellious, let’s say. It is also feasible that AI could produce a song that makes us feel these same feelings, but more intensely than any human songwriter could do.

But, I don’t feel that when we listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit it is only the song that we are listening to. It feels to me, that what we are actually listening to is a withdrawn and alienated young man’s journey out of the small American town of Aberdeen – a young man who by any measure was a walking bundle of dysfunction and human limitation – a young man who had the temerity to howl his particular pain into a microphone and in doing so, by way of the heavens, reach into the hearts of a generation. We are also listening to Iggy Pop walk across his audience’s hands and smear himself in peanut butter whilst singing 1970. We are listening to Beethoven compose the Ninth Symphony while almost totally deaf. We are listening to Prince, that tiny cluster of purple atoms, singing in the pouring rain at the Super Bowl and blowing everyone’s minds. We are listening to Nina Simone stuff all her rage and disappointment into the most tender of love songs. We are listening to Paganini continue to play his Stradivarius as the strings snapped. We are listening to Jimi Hendrix kneel and set fire to his own instrument.

What we are actually listening to is human limitation and the audacity to transcend it. Artificial Intelligence, for all its unlimited potential, simply doesn’t have this capacity. How could it? And this is the essence of transcendence. If we have limitless potential then what is there to transcend? And therefore what is the purpose of the imagination at all. Music has the ability to touch the celestial sphere with the tips of its fingers and the awe and wonder we feel is in the desperate temerity of the reach, not just the outcome. Where is the transcendent splendour in unlimited potential? So to answer your question, Peter, AI would have the capacity to write a good song, but not a great one. It lacks the nerve.

Love, Nick

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2019 3:57 am 
Rank This Poster

https://www.nickcave.com/distantsky/

You can screen it until tomorrow, I think.

PostPosted: Mon April 22, 2019 6:26 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2019 1:37 am 
Posting (live)

Distant Sky is beautifully shot. Enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for the heads up, digster.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2019 4:09 am 
Rank This Poster

No problem, I'm just happy my friend clued me in, I had never seen it before and didn't hear anything about the offer. I wish the movie was widely available (there's been no release, as far as I understand). I saw him in NYC on the Skeleton Tree tour, and it was one of my favorite shows ever.

PostPosted: Sat June 29, 2019 4:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

Quote:
I was lucky enough to be at your recent London show and you played Cosmic Dancer by T Rex. It reminded me how Morrissey also covered and released this. In turn it reminded me of my current struggle reconciling his recent unsavoury far right support to how I used to put him on a pedestal.
Generally, is it possible to separate the latter-day artist from his earlier art? More specifically, what are your views on Morrissey, both early days and his newer more ugly persona?

Quote:
Dear Mark,
I understand it is very difficult when an artist you admire reveals something about themselves which you feel casts an unhappy shadow across their work – and this is by no means exclusive to Morrissey. It happens all the time and I have talked a little about this in a previous issue of The Red Hand Files.
I think perhaps it would be helpful to you if you saw the proprietorship of a song in a different way. Personally, when I write a song and release it to the public, I feel it stops being my song. It has been offered up to my audience and they, if they care to, take possession of that song and become its custodian. The integrity of the song now rests not with the artist, but with the listener.
When I listen to a beloved song – Neil Young’s ‘On the Beach’, for instance – I feel, at my very core, that that song is speaking to me and to me alone, that I have taken possession of that song exclusively. I feel, beyond all rationality, that the song has been written with me in mind and, as it weaves itself into the fabric of my life, I become its steward, understanding it better than anybody else ever could. I think we all can relate to this feeling of owning a song. This is the singular beauty of music.
Perhaps it doesn’t matter what Neil Young’s personal conduct may be like therefore, or Morrissey’s, as they have handed over ownership of the songs to their audience. Their views and behaviour are separate issues – Morrissey’s political opinion becomes irrelevant. Whatever inanities he may postulate, we cannot overlook the fact that he has written a vast and extraordinary catalogue, which has enhanced the lives of his many fans beyond recognition. This is no small thing. He has created original and distinctive works of unparalleled beauty, that will long outlast his offending political alliances.
At my recent ‘In Conversation’ event in Nottingham a gentleman put forward an excellent challenge to my views on free speech – he pointed out the perceived racism of Morrissey’s political stance and told how personally wounded he felt by Morrissey’s views on immigration. As I sat in my dressing room after the show, I wished I had done a better job of answering his question – I felt I had made a poorly constructed, over-earnest and possibly insensitive defence of Morrissey’s right to his opinions, no matter what they are.
I very much appreciate people challenging my views. The ‘In Conversation’ events are fluid in form and very much a work in progress, and they are intended at times to prompt debate. Sometimes certain uncomfortable issues are raised, but a different point of view is always welcome. Often it can serve as a kind of corrective – even an education – and can be extremely helpful to me next time that same subject is broached.
Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.
As a songwriter and someone who believes songs possess extraordinary healing power, I am saddened by the thought that songs by arguably the greatest lyricist of his generation – songs like ‘This Charming Man’, ‘Reel Around the Fountain’ and ‘Last Night I Dreamed Somebody Loved Me’ – are consigned to the moral dustbin by those who feel they have been tainted by his current political posturing. I respect and understand why people respond in this way, but can’t help but feel it is of significant personal loss to them.
Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.
Love, Nick

PostPosted: Sat June 29, 2019 4:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

I love Nick Cave!!! Ive been thinking about this subject for a while, being a huge Morrissey and Ryan Adams fan (two very diferent scenarios, but...)

The guy is brilliant, not only his music but his mind also

PostPosted: Sat June 29, 2019 9:10 pm 
Future Drummer

That was a great read, thanks for posting that 'bain.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2019 4:58 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

"In a recent post, Cave knowingly revealed a little bit of very exciting news about Grinderman, the kick-arse rock band he formed with collaborator Warren Ellis back in 2006.

The band were a short-lived affair, together for a half a decade and reforming for two special reunion shows in 2013. In that time they released two ferocious and excellent records – 2007's Grinderman and 2010's Grinderman II – and now it sounds like we'll be getting a third instalment.

When writing about working with King Crimson's Robert Fripp on an extended version of the Grinderman II song 'Heathen Child (called 'Super Heathen Child'), Cave casually states that Grinderman II was only the second in what will be a trilogy of records.

"In 2010, Grinderman recorded a song called ‘Heathen Child’ for the Grinderman 2 album (part of a yet to be completed trilogy, you might be happy to know) and we invited Robert Fripp to play on the extended version," Cave writes."

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2019 8:51 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

psychobain wrote:
Quote:
I was lucky enough to be at your recent London show and you played Cosmic Dancer by T Rex. It reminded me how Morrissey also covered and released this. In turn it reminded me of my current struggle reconciling his recent unsavoury far right support to how I used to put him on a pedestal.
Generally, is it possible to separate the latter-day artist from his earlier art? More specifically, what are your views on Morrissey, both early days and his newer more ugly persona?

Quote:
Dear Mark,
I understand it is very difficult when an artist you admire reveals something about themselves which you feel casts an unhappy shadow across their work – and this is by no means exclusive to Morrissey. It happens all the time and I have talked a little about this in a previous issue of The Red Hand Files.
I think perhaps it would be helpful to you if you saw the proprietorship of a song in a different way. Personally, when I write a song and release it to the public, I feel it stops being my song. It has been offered up to my audience and they, if they care to, take possession of that song and become its custodian. The integrity of the song now rests not with the artist, but with the listener.
When I listen to a beloved song – Neil Young’s ‘On the Beach’, for instance – I feel, at my very core, that that song is speaking to me and to me alone, that I have taken possession of that song exclusively. I feel, beyond all rationality, that the song has been written with me in mind and, as it weaves itself into the fabric of my life, I become its steward, understanding it better than anybody else ever could. I think we all can relate to this feeling of owning a song. This is the singular beauty of music.
Perhaps it doesn’t matter what Neil Young’s personal conduct may be like therefore, or Morrissey’s, as they have handed over ownership of the songs to their audience. Their views and behaviour are separate issues – Morrissey’s political opinion becomes irrelevant. Whatever inanities he may postulate, we cannot overlook the fact that he has written a vast and extraordinary catalogue, which has enhanced the lives of his many fans beyond recognition. This is no small thing. He has created original and distinctive works of unparalleled beauty, that will long outlast his offending political alliances.
At my recent ‘In Conversation’ event in Nottingham a gentleman put forward an excellent challenge to my views on free speech – he pointed out the perceived racism of Morrissey’s political stance and told how personally wounded he felt by Morrissey’s views on immigration. As I sat in my dressing room after the show, I wished I had done a better job of answering his question – I felt I had made a poorly constructed, over-earnest and possibly insensitive defence of Morrissey’s right to his opinions, no matter what they are.
I very much appreciate people challenging my views. The ‘In Conversation’ events are fluid in form and very much a work in progress, and they are intended at times to prompt debate. Sometimes certain uncomfortable issues are raised, but a different point of view is always welcome. Often it can serve as a kind of corrective – even an education – and can be extremely helpful to me next time that same subject is broached.
Open debate and conversation are the very structure of civilisation, and in Nottingham it was a privilege to be challenged by this very thoughtful young man. However, even though I was unsatisfied by my own response, I still believe that despite how upsetting Morrissey’s views may be to the marginalised and dispossessed members of society, or anyone else for that matter, he still should have the freedom to express his views, just as others should have the freedom to challenge them – even if just to know in what guise their enemy may appear. The charge that defending a person’s right to their opinions somehow aligns one with their views makes no sense at all and strikes at the heart of the problem itself – that of conflating the concept of free speech with bigotry. This is very dangerous territory indeed.
As a songwriter and someone who believes songs possess extraordinary healing power, I am saddened by the thought that songs by arguably the greatest lyricist of his generation – songs like ‘This Charming Man’, ‘Reel Around the Fountain’ and ‘Last Night I Dreamed Somebody Loved Me’ – are consigned to the moral dustbin by those who feel they have been tainted by his current political posturing. I respect and understand why people respond in this way, but can’t help but feel it is of significant personal loss to them.
Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems.
Love, Nick

I dunno, I am not sure if Nick Cave, being a male musician, is the right person to anwer to this question.

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2019 1:49 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

fuck yeah a new grinderman album!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands