The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foo Fighters
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Matt just sounds embarrassed that his honesty painted the Foos camp in a negative light.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

fightin that foo too hard

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

VinylGuy wrote:
They can be shaped into a whole different narrative or be changed who knows.

RS already done this in the past.

I don't know, the most damning thing he says is that Taylor told him he and Dave had a 'heart-to-heart' and that the Foo Fighters camp says that didn't happen. Is Matt saying now that Taylor didn't actually tell him that?

You see this all the time; someone has second thoughts about going on the record with what they actually believe, and instead of just owning it, tries to throw the reporting under the bus.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Sure that happens, but Rolling Stone is basically the New York Post of music. It’s trash.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:20 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

digster wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I don't know, the most damning thing he says is that Taylor told him he and Dave had a 'heart-to-heart' and that the Foo Fighters camp says that didn't happen. Is Matt saying now that Taylor didn't actually tell him that?

You see this all the time; someone has second thoughts about going on the record with what they actually believe, and instead of just owning it, tries to throw the reporting under the bus.

Yeah, Matt's quotes are pretty straight-forward (all of them are below).

I think he may now regret being so unguarded, and may have not fully realised that Dave/Silva were going to deny Taylor had flagged any concerns about the touring schedule (in damage control mode, fear of potential lawsuit from Taylor's widow...?)

Matt was talking to a journalist; of course they're going to fit his quotes into a broader narrative, especially when you have multiple people saying broadly the same thing.

Spoiler: show
Quote:
“He had a heart-to-heart with Dave and, yeah, he told me that he ‘couldn’t fucking do it anymore’ — those were his words,” says Pearl Jam drummer Matt Cameron, a close friend of Hawkins’ for decades who recorded music with him recently under the banner Nighttime Boogie Association, one of Hawkins’ many side projects. “So I guess they did come to some understanding, but it just seems like the touring schedule got even crazier after that.” (A rep for Foo Fighters denies that Hawkins ever raised these issues, saying “No, there was never a ‘heart-to-heart’ — or any sort of meeting on this topic — with Dave and [Silva Artist Management].”)

“[A band like that] is a big machine [with] a lot of people on the payroll,” Cameron says. “So you’ve got to really be cognizant of the business side of something when it’s that big and that has inherent pressure, just like any business.”

“He tried to keep up,” Cameron says. “He just did whatever it took to keep up, and in the end he couldn’t keep up.”

“There’s only a handful of guys in our profession that still play this intense high-energy, Nineties rock music,” Cameron says. “We both had to strike that balance of ‘We never want to complain,’ but there are real, specific things about what we do that’s really fucking challenging and really difficult. … It’s like we have to be able to sort of run a marathon every time we hit the stage, just because the music sort of calls for that type of energy.”

Pearl Jam took off all of 2019 and 2020. They played a scant four shows in 2021. In that same three-year span, the Foos did more than 70 concerts. “They were the first ones to go back at it super hard, and [Taylor and I] definitely had discussions about that,” Cameron says. “He was a little apprehensive, understandably, just because of all the Covid bullshit that was going on. So there was all these different factors that were weighing on him stepping back into the ring.”

“He kept sending me these live videos of Genesis when Phil Collins was still the drummer,” Cameron says with a laugh, looking back at their final communications. “I admitted I wasn’t the biggest Genesis fan, so it became his goal to get me into them. He sent me a new video every day for two weeks straight. He’d be like, ‘Dude, you gotta check out the drum fill at 28:40.’ It was real specific stuff. He would take time out of his day to work on my inability to hear the greatness in Genesis.”

“There’s so many questions about what the fuck happened in Bogotá,” Cameron says. “I don’t even know if I believe any of the toxicology reports coming out of that country in, all honesty, because it happened so quickly.”

“[Taylor] is kind of irreplaceable,” says Cameron. “It’s going to be weird [if they continue]. I don’t think anyone’s ready for that. Taylor was half their show.”

“One song we were working on right before he passed away is called ‘Condo in Redondo,’” says Cameron. “It’s a fantastic song that I really hope will see the light of day.”

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
“He kept sending me these live videos of Genesis when Phil Collins was still the drummer,” Cameron says with a laugh, looking back at their final communications. “I admitted I wasn’t the biggest Genesis fan, so it became his goal to get me into them. He sent me a new video every day for two weeks straight. He’d be like, ‘Dude, you gotta check out the drum fill at 28:40.’ It was real specific stuff. He would take time out of his day to work on my inability to hear the greatness in Genesis.”

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

digster wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

it also happens the other way around.

no one knows what was left out. considering the sources, i'll take matt cameron's word over rolling stone.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

warehouse wrote:

How do you mean?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Jorge wrote:
warehouse wrote:

How do you mean?

what matt cameron is claiming happened, happens all the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:09 pm 
The Master

warehouse wrote:
Jorge wrote:
warehouse wrote:

How do you mean?

what matt cameron is claiming happened, happens all the time.

Let me explain something here:

Matt Cameron PJ Dummer Bad PJ Sucks since 1997 Matt Cameron word wrong RS win

Im just kidding everybody please calm down

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:11 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I think it's hard to discern exactly what Matt claims happened because "taken out of context and shaped into a narrative" is a very vague claim, especially since his comments in the interview were corroborated by other sources. Is Matt now saying that Taylor didn't have that heart-to-heart? Are his quotes false? Were there other details discussed that would considerably alter how his comments can be interpreted? That would surprise me since they're very straightforward and matter-of-fact. Hard to know for sure, but to me this reads like Matt attempting to save face because the article wasn't what he thought it was going to be, and because his claims were directly countered by a band representative

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

i'm sure matt would have liked to word things differently if he knew how the article was going to be written, but i don't doubt RS changed the narrative matt thought they were going with.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yes, I think that's a possibility. Maybe they sold the article as "hey we're gonna write about how great Taylor was" and they were either lying or it just became something else as the interviews happened. But that doesn't render his quotes false

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:29 pm 
AnalLog

Taylor could have told Matt he had the conversation with Dave...Dave maybe never let it get past the two of them...Foos management is clueless about it...Dave says to Taylor "get through 2022 and then we can reevaluate everything after that" since shows are already booked

Matt isn't lying, Taylor isn't lying, Foos management isn't lying

Not very likely but possible

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:21 pm 
The Master

Chad Smith has now made a similar comment

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

We have corroboration

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:22 pm 
Production Police

Sounds like they were all telling the truth about off-the-record conversations and then someone was like “uh, potential lawsuit here.”

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:32 am 
Gone

Why do these drummers talk like playing a show is like storming the beaches of Normandy?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:40 am 
Looks Like a Cat

bodysnatcher wrote:
I’d imagine that the brotherhood of these type of drummers on this scale is a small, tight knit group — if not mostly those 3 (now 2) — who have each other’s backs. I interpreted Matt’s commentary as more “hey we have to put up with a LOT of rigor that I don’t think people fully realize”.

A brotherhood of electric

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:05 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

verb_to_trust wrote:
Why do these drummers talk like playing a show is like storming the beaches of Normandy?

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 60  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands