The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Morning Jacket
PostPosted: Tue July 21, 2020 3:06 pm 
AnalLog

Ello Sailor wrote:
These guys have always sucked. You boners have been duped.

Wrong. They are the last great American rock band.

I'm feeling confident to say that Waterfall II is my favorite Jacket album since Z....and I really like the albums in between.

PostPosted: Sat August 08, 2020 12:45 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

My Morning Jacket on Nugstv tonight from Forecastle Festival 2012.

Opened with The Dark. Now Holdin’ On to Black Metal with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Wordless Chorus...what a great band.

Edit: watching this show, it occurs to me that My Morning Jacket is the would be by-product of the musical baby Lynyrd Skynyrd and Neil Young and Crazy Horse would have had if they just stopped fighting and made up.

FYI, this is one helluva show so far, Steam Engine in the first half hour, as well as Anytime before that. Feels like an encore to start the show.

Edit: another random thought here: I am wearing a My Morning Jacket t-shirt today by pure coincidence- does that make me that guy who wears the t-shirt of the band he’s going to see if I am just live streaming from my couch?

Mahgeetah is is mind blowing at this show, and now Rocket Man. Jeez. That made me really miss concerts...

The Bear. Cobra!? > Run Thru. This festival show is bonkers. It Makes No Difference by The Band. Wow. Careless Whisper by George Michael? Seriously!? What don’t they play!? ...and Jim James is tossing bananas into the crowd while singing the bananas bridge. Surreal.

Bringing it home with One Big Holiday. What a crazy show. Glad I ended up deciding to stream this. And now you’ve seen my thoughts streaming through this platform. It was fun.

PostPosted: Sun August 09, 2020 9:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Last year at this time I was getting ready to go to their 20th Anniversary Tennessee Fire show. That was really one of the best shows I have ever attended.

PostPosted: Sat August 15, 2020 4:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Listening to the Waterfall II again. My god there’s nothing like when this band gets cooking like on the second half of Wasted.

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 5:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Man do I love the breakdown in the middle of evil urges

PostPosted: Sun December 06, 2020 9:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kalevi wrote:
Man do I love the breakdown in the middle of evil urges

A very underrated album for sure. There’s a middle section to this album that is not so exceptional, but the first third and last third are fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 1:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I don’t anticipate this taking as long or being as in depth as the other journeys, and I expect there to be long interruptions, but in an effort to utilize my nugs membership that I grabbed cheap when they did the Pearl Jam promotion, a live MMJ journey through nugs starting with the oldest show available:

6/12/2004 - Bonnaroo Music Festival

I think looking at the availability that this will be the only pre-Z show I get to on this run. The hour long set at Which Tent is largely focused on It Still Moves, which I am excited about since that album has been steadily climbing my all time favorites list for years. Mahgeetah is a great opener here, One Big Holiday the big rocker you can always use, and a very solid Dancefloors, though the final leg of this show is the real epic highlight in a great Phone Went West, Cobra (!), At Dawn, and closing it out with a beautiful Steam Engine. Great way to open this journey up.

Set list: Mahgeetah, One Big Holiday, Golden, It Beats For You, Lowdown, The Way That He Sings, O Is the One That is Real, Dancefloors, Phone Went West, Cobra, At Dawn, Steam Engine

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 3:52 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

6/12/2005 - Bonnaroo Music Festival

Exactly one year later they play the What Stage with a little longer set. One Bug Holiday seems even more intense than usual. Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You sounds awesome, as does Lay Low, Heartbreakin Man, and the one-two punch of Dodante and Run Thru (an especially awesome Run Thru). I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man has an almost Springsteen like vine to it and the close out of Mahgeetah was great.

Setlist: Off the Record, The Way That He Sings, O Is the One That is Real, One Big Holiday, Golden, Just One Thing, Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You, Lay Low, Heartbreakin Man, Dodante, Run Thru, Bermuda Highway, I Will Sing You Songs, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Mahgeetah

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 4:38 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
6/12/2005 - Bonnaroo Music Festival

Exactly one year later they play the What Stage with a little longer set. One Bug Holiday seems even more intense than usual. Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You sounds awesome, as does Lay Low, Heartbreakin Man, and the one-two punch of Dodante and Run Thru (an especially awesome Run Thru). I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man has an almost Springsteen like vine to it and the close out of Mahgeetah was great.

Setlist: Off the Record, The Way That He Sings, O Is the One That is Real, One Big Holiday, Golden, Just One Thing, Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You, Lay Low, Heartbreakin Man, Dodante, Run Thru, Bermuda Highway, I Will Sing You Songs, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Mahgeetah

This was my first MMJ show. It was in the middle of the day, on Sunday and the weekend had already taken its toll. I was saving up for one more party that night. They also had a conductor in front of them and oversized puppets dancing around the stage. It didn't leave the best impression, but I wasn't in the right frame either. My first real MMJ experience was a few months later at the Roxy in Atlanta. That show left a lasting musical impression.

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 10:30 pm 
Future Drummer

hey, those roo shows were my first mmj shows. i think i have pics of the 04 show somewhere. my friend had been talking them up so that was the first i'd seen/heard them. and i'm pretty sure that dondante->run thru in 05 is really what sealed my fandom of them going forward. seen them a bunch since and have yet to hear o is the one that is real again. :/

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 10:45 pm 
AnalLog

AndySlash wrote:
hey, those roo shows were my first mmj shows. i think i have pics of the 04 show somewhere. my friend had been talking them up so that was the first i'd seen/heard them. and i'm pretty sure that dondante->run thru in 05 is really what sealed my fandom of them going forward. seen them a bunch since and have yet to hear o is the one that is real again. :/

I was kicking myself for not going to 2006 and 2008 just for the MMJ set! I went to Roo '02, '05 and '07. Nothing will be like the first, but all were amazing in their way.

PostPosted: Wed December 16, 2020 10:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Hatfield wrote:
AndySlash wrote:

I was kicking myself for not going to 2006 and 2008 just for the MMJ set! I went to Roo '02, '05 and '07. Nothing will be like the first, but all were amazing in their way.

i can't speak to the first two years, as 04 was my first, and since then i've missed only 3-4 roos, but 04 definitely was amazing in ways that any year after that just couldn't replicate. i would argue, though, that 2008 has that festival's best ever top-to-bottom lineup.

PostPosted: Thu December 17, 2020 9:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

10/14/2005 - Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia, PA

This show (missing a couple of songs I think at the end) features a cover to cover performance of Z that is really fabulous. Yes, it is mostly note for note, but it’s always nice to hear the full album. The encore, plowing through live staples at the time of One Big Holiday, O Is the One That Is Real, Lowdown, Golden, and Northern Sky is also fantastic sounding. I do love this period on MMJ in large part because it seems no matter how mundane a song starts it always builds to something special.

Set list: Wordless Chorus, It Beats 4 U, Gideon; What a Wonderful Man, Off the Record, Into the Woods, Anytime, Lay Low, Knot Comes Loose, Dodante

Encore: One Big Holiday, O Is the One That is Real, Lowdown, Golden, Northern Sky...

PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 10:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

11/10/2005 - Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

It’s been a little while since I was able to take a MMJ show in, so I return back with this gem from ‘05. The band is in exceptional form, powering through a good mix of Z songs and a balance of their 3 first albums. Of particular note was the run from The Way That He Sings, I Think I’m Going to Hell, Golden, and the Chocolate and Ice EP song Sooner. The one-two punch of Dodante and Run Thru to end the main set was amazing. The encore spectacular. Definitely a great early period (now) show to check out.

Set: Wordless Chorus, It Beats 4 U, One Big Holiday, What a Wonderful Man, The Way That He Sings, I Think I’ Going To Hell, Golden, Sooner, Gideon, Lay Low, Dancefloors, Dodante, Run Thru

Encore: Where to Begin, Off the Record, Anytime, Mahgeetah

PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 11:43 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
11/10/2005 - Henry Fonda Theatre, Los Angeles, CA

It’s been a little while since I was able to take a MMJ show in, so I return back with this gem from ‘05. The band is in exceptional form, powering through a good mix of Z songs and a balance of their 3 first albums. Of particular note was the run from The Way That He Sings, I Think I’m Going to Hell, Golden, and the Chocolate and Ice EP song Sooner. The one-two punch of Dodante and Run Thru to end the main set was amazing. The encore spectacular. Definitely a great early period (now) show to check out.

Set: Wordless Chorus, It Beats 4 U, One Big Holiday, What a Wonderful Man, The Way That He Sings, I Think I’ Going To Hell, Golden, Sooner, Gideon, Lay Low, Dancefloors, Dodante, Run Thru

Encore: Where to Begin, Off the Record, Anytime, Mahgeetah

Where to Begin :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 2:44 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

MMJ Live 2015 is the first in a new live vinyl series. A compilation from the Waterfall tour. Out in September but you better believe I pre-ordered that bad boy.

Victory Dance
Circuital
Compound Fracture
I’m Amazed
Believe (Nobody Knows)
Evil Urges
Off the Record
Tropics
The Way He Sings
Wonderful (the Way I Feel)
Get the Point
Master plan
Dodante
Wordless Chorus
Touch Me, I’m Going to Scream Pt. 2
Gideon

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 6:10 am 
The Master

Ye I was all over that.

Excited about this series

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 10:45 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Also excited about the series--I think I'm going to let this 2015 release pass (it's not my fav era of the band), but excited for what comes next. $40 for 3-LPs also ain't too bad, price could've been worse.

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 3:18 pm 
The Master

The three night run in Austin m/Dallas that tour were some of my favorite shows. I’m excited about this release

PostPosted: Fri June 18, 2021 4:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

A big part of my excitement is that I am hoping that we are getting premium quality. I think like many others, I may have discovered them around seeing them open for Pearl Jam, but my doorway into becoming a huge fan was Okonokos. They haven’t released any official live releases that compare with that since. This seems to be the first in a series that I hope live up in their own way to that level of quality.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 37  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands