The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » El Culo Del Mundo » Garbage Dump - Epílogo

Post subject: Re: Tell us about your car accidents (a companion thread)
PostPosted: Wed August 10, 2022 7:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Jesus, glad everyone was ok.

Yeah, it was nuts. And it wasn't until i heard all those charges that i put two and two together and realized that when i saw the front wheels going back and forth that i think he was trying to leave the scene. They actually took him away in custody in the ambulance. But if i could post pics, i would. We were both very lucky to walk away from it without any serious injuries, that's for sure...

PostPosted: Wed August 10, 2022 10:21 pm 
Major Dude

DissidentRival4 wrote:
Been in a handful over my 31 years of driving, but by far the worst one was June of last year. I'm driving to work on the Interstate and get to where it goes from two lanes to three. The third lane is one of those where the entrance ramp traffic doesn't have to merge as the vehicles can just stay in their own lane and become part of the flow of the interstate (hope that makes sense). (All of what i'm about to explain at this point happens in probably less than 5 seconds) Anyway, the entrance ramp (which is on the right of me) is one that circles around before hitting the interstate, and as i'm approaching, i notice a car fish tailing. I kept my eye on it and saw that it was pointed away from me, as if it's going to crash into the barrier wall to his right, so i think "ok. i'm good". Wrong. Out of nowhere, dude comes from the right headed directly at me. I had absolutely no time to respond. I hit him doing probably about 70-75 mph. I spun him around and then bc of the impact i ended up slamming into the far left lane's guard rail. All the air bags deployed and i had hit him so hard, my radio was actually jarred loose and hanging by the wires. I couldn't open my door bc the guard rail was there, so i had to go through the passenger door. I then went to check on the other car. He had a smaller car, so when his air bags went off they basically covered all the windows up, so i couldn't see inside the vehicle. I swear to you at that point when i couldn't see inside his car, i thought it very possible i had just killed someone we hit that hard. As i was walking up to the car, i noticed the front wheels turning right and left repeatedly, so i was very relieved he was still alive. To shorten the rest of the story, i ended up getting majorly screwed as dude was driving on a suspended license, no insurance, and - the best part- was booked for DUI (at freaking 6:45 in the effing morning). Luckily my insurance did cover me for uninsured drivers, so i did manage to get back some of the damage/hospital costs.
But more importantly, i managed to only suffer the normal sore neck and back for a couple days and bruises from the seat belt and air bags. Needless to say, I am always very alert every time i approach that entrance ramp on the way to work....

Damn man. Glad you made it thru ok.

I-24?

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 4:23 pm 
Broken Tamborine

wease wrote:

I-24?

Close - it was on 840 at the last entrance ramp right before you get to 24. If you're familiar with the Boro, it's where you get on 840 from Broad St, just past the Bumpus Harley shop.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 4:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Like three days after moving to Vegas I was driving during a rainstorm and hydroplaned into the car in front of me. I was going under the speed limit (~30 mph) and even used the e-brake but couldn't stop in time. Fucked up the front of my car which cost almost 6k to fix, but her car had little more than a dent in the bumper. No injuries on our end other than a little soreness. As in wease's case, the woman I hit later claimed a bunch of injuries and I think insurance settled with her. That was the worst accident I've been in.

Twice in Vegas we were hit from behind at a red light (in a four day span) but in each case the bumper just absorbed the shock.

In grad school I rear-ended a truck at a stop sign going about 5 miles an hour. The (company) truck had stutter-stopped after appearing to pull out and I didn't notice in time. His hitch punctured my bumper but he said it was fine and we never exchanged information other than phone numbers. A week later his company started calling me, trying to collect something like 10k in repairs. Obviously a scam so I just blocked their number and stopped driving past that construction site.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 4:39 pm 
Major Dude

DissidentRival4 wrote:
wease wrote:

I-24?

Close - it was on 840 at the last entrance ramp right before you get to 24. If you're familiar with the Boro, it's where you get on 840 from Broad St, just past the Bumpus Harley shop.

Oh yeah. Driving pretty much anywhere around there requires having eyes in the front, back and both sides of your head. It’s terrible.

We’re moving our oldest into MTSU this weekend. NOT looking forward to driving down there.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 4:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

wease wrote:
DissidentRival4 wrote:
wease wrote:

I-24?

Oh yeah. Driving pretty much anywhere around there requires having eyes in the front, back and both sides of your head. It’s terrible.

We’re moving our oldest into MTSU this weekend. NOT looking forward to driving down there.

Yeah, traffic/drivers in the Boro are the WORST. School started Friday (it was only a two hour school day) and sadly a sixth grader was hit by a car and killed on Friday and another little girl was hit by a car the following Monday. The sixth grade incident actually happened right next to the MTSU campus on Main St. So sad...

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 5:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Driving sucks, don't miss it, don't particularly want to leave big urban area with decent transit.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 5:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

driving does suck..i avoid it when i can but this is LA..we're driving up to washington state next week and be there for about a year or more..i actually look forward to that daily 9 mile morning drive to the grocery store to pick up the local newspapers and the only thing you really need to brake for are deer standing in the street...

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 5:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah that's fair, I didn't mind driving in Mississippi--actually kind of delightful if you were out in the country. Driving in Vegas was hell--worst drivers I've ever been around, including trips to LA. Felt like I was going to die every morning on the road to work. I can't imagine living in the PA suburbs and driving into Philly.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 6:04 pm 
Major Dude

Oh! I forgot one. Around 8 or so years ago I was on my way to work on a two-lane state road. The car in front of me had stopped because the car in front of it was turning right into a restaurant. So, I stopped and a few seconds later I felt my car shake and a huge oversized pickup went around me on the left at an astronomical rate of speed. After it was a couple dozen yards past me I realized what had happened. He hit me. People started running out of the restaurant and one cat even got in his truck and chased the guy down. I then found out there were a couple of cars on the other side of the road over in the ditch and in a field where he had run them off the road trying to go around me. The county deputies arrived and got in contact with the guy that followed the culprit and they ended up going to get him based on that information. They brought the guy back and when asked why he was driving in such a reckless manner, his reply was “I don’t know.” If he had fully rear ended me instead of just side swiping me, I wouldn’t be here today to tell about it. There’s no way either he or I would’ve lived thru that.

My car was never the same after that either. It was fully repaired but things just kept fucking up all down that side afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 6:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

wease wrote:
Oh! I forgot one. Around 8 or so years ago I was on my way to work on a two-lane state road. The car in front of me had stopped because the car in front of it was turning right into a restaurant. So, I stopped and a few seconds later I felt my car shake and a huge oversized pickup went around me on the left at an astronomical rate of speed. After it was a couple dozen yards past me I realized what had happened. He hit me. People started running out of the restaurant and one cat even got in his truck and chased the guy down. I then found out there were a couple of cars on the other side of the road over in the ditch and in a field where he had run them off the road trying to go around me. The county deputies arrived and got in contact with the guy that followed the culprit and they ended up going to get him based on that information. They brought the guy back and when asked why he was driving in such a reckless manner, his reply was “I don’t know.” If he had fully rear ended me instead of just side swiping me, I wouldn’t be here today to tell about it. There’s no way either he or I would’ve lived thru that.

My car was never the same after that either. It was fully repaired but things just kept fucking up all down that side afterwards.

how's the cat?

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2022 6:15 pm 
Major Dude

doug rr wrote:
wease wrote:

how's the cat?

He chased the guy down

Board index » El Culo Del Mundo » Garbage Dump - Epílogo