The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » El Culo Del Mundo » Garbage Dump - Epílogo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Word of the day
PostPosted: Sat December 02, 2023 2:43 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

myrmidon

capitalized : a member of a legendary Thessalian people who accompanied their king Achilles in the Trojan War
: a loyal follower, especially a subordinate who executes orders unquestioningly or unscrupulously

Myrmidon and Ants

The Myrmidons, legendary inhabitants of Thessaly in Greece, were known for their fierce devotion to Achilles, the king who led them in the Trojan War. Myrmex means "ant" in Greek, an image that evokes small and insignificant workers mindlessly fulfilling their duties. Whether the original Myrmidons were given their name for that reason is open to question. The "ant" association is strong, however. Some say the name is from a legendary ancestor who once had the form of an ant; others say the Myrmidons were actually transformed from ants. In any case, since the 1400s, we've employed myrmidon in its not-always-complimentary, ant-evoking, figurative sense.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 28, 2024 2:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

perdure - similar to endure, but different.

"Here's a pretty good metaphor to get across the main idea of perdurantism.

Between two towns there's a road. You can pick any one section of the road and say that it's part of the road, but the whole road is not present at that one section. Rather, the whole road is the thing which is stretched out between the two towns. Perdurantism thinks of objects in a similar way: you, your computer, and other things, are not wholly present at any one given time. What is present is a temporal part: you-at-time t. Another temporal part is you-at-time t1, t2 ... tn, and so on. The whole you is stretched out through time, like the road is stretched through space. Perdurantists explain our persistence through time by appeal to temporal parts. (Further reading. http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/temporal-parts/)

Endurantists, on the other hand, claim that you, your computer, and so on, are wholly present at every time. The whole you is the sum of your spatial parts (or maybe an object over and above them -- see compositionalism!) and you persist through time because these parts endure through time.

There are some complications in that there's nothing preventing someone from saying that objects have spatial and temporal parts as opposed to temporal parts alone, so the distinction between the two positions can get a bit fuzzy. But still, that's the quick-and-dirty version.

Hope it helps!"

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 1:09 am 

“Bork” is an informal verb used in US politics to describe the act of systematically defaming or vilifying a person, often to prevent their appointment to public office. The word comes from Robert Bork (1927–), an American judge whose nomination to the Supreme Court in 1987 was rejected due to unfavorable publicity for his allegedly extreme views.

PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2024 12:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
“Bork” is an informal verb used in US politics to describe the act of systematically defaming or vilifying a person, often to prevent their appointment to public office. The word comes from Robert Bork (1927–), an American judge whose nomination to the Supreme Court in 1987 was rejected due to unfavorable publicity for his allegedly extreme views.

if you could bork anyone on RM, who would it be?

for me, i’m thinking i’ll bork washing machine out of working in foodservice ever again.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 2:07 pm 

Mudlark

a person who gains a livelihood by searching for iron, coal, old ropes, etc., in mud or low tide.

PostPosted: Tue April 16, 2024 2:09 pm 

Alex wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

if you could bork anyone on RM, who would it be?

for me, i’m thinking i’ll bork washing machine out of working in foodservice ever again.

I would bork tree and Lenny. They would have to make a living as mudlarks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » El Culo Del Mundo » Garbage Dump - Epílogo