Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: Talk about your day thread

Sun January 22, 2023 5:02 pm

By the time we left for the competition it had turned to rain. God, what a mess

Fri January 27, 2023 12:00 pm

wednesday they cancelled schools or had two hour delays due to a winter storm coming this way. we didnt get a single 1/4 inch of snow at all

Fri January 27, 2023 12:01 pm

The roads are pretty icy around here. We had a pretty good amount of snow yesterday and the day before and then it melted and refroze.

Fri January 27, 2023 4:28 pm

Peeps wrote:wednesday they cancelled schools or had two hour delays due to a winter storm coming this way. we didnt get a single 1/4 inch of snow at all

Lots of “in my day, we didn’t cancel school til there was snow on the ground” on socials these days. I’m sure these recollections are completely accurate.

Fri January 27, 2023 4:34 pm

spike wrote:
Peeps wrote:wednesday they cancelled schools or had two hour delays due to a winter storm coming this way. we didnt get a single 1/4 inch of snow at all

Lots of “in my day, we didn’t cancel school til there was snow on the ground” on socials these days. I’m sure these recollections are completely accurate.

one day, maybe it was last year...Oklahoma school districts canceled school because the temps were in single digits. no ice or snow was on the ground, nor was there a drop of precip.

Growing up in Connecticut, I can't recall ever having had that happen, and we'd get far more snow they I've seen out here.

Fri January 27, 2023 4:39 pm

dad wrote:
spike wrote:

one day, maybe it was last year...Oklahoma school districts canceled school because the temps were in single digits. no ice or snow was on the ground, nor was there a drop of precip.

Growing up in Connecticut, I can't recall ever having had that happen, and we'd get far more snow they I've seen out here.

Middle of the country gets colder than the coasts.

Fri January 27, 2023 4:43 pm

spike wrote:
dad wrote:
spike wrote:

sure, but enough to take a day off? nah...

Fri January 27, 2023 4:48 pm

dad wrote:
spike wrote:
dad wrote:
spike wrote:

sure, but enough to take a day off? nah...

Doesn’t happen often, but it does happen. In Chicago, it needs to be like windchill -10 or something. The concern is kids getting to and from school.

Fri January 27, 2023 6:45 pm

spike wrote:

well to be fair "back in my day" we didnt have bus stops every 12 feet. we had to walk 5-15 minutes to the bus stop. personally my stop was lucky because it was in front of a serbian club and they would leave the foryer open for us to avoid the cold.

but i honestly cant recall school being canceled for temps (maybe it didnt get that cold back then). i do recall a bus ride home where it took over an hour to get all the stops because of the snow and slush on the roads. cant recall if that storm snuck up on us or not

Sun January 29, 2023 1:02 am

Just got home from one of the twins' youth basketball games. It's a rec league; the kids practice 20-30min before each game. His team got behind early and was down by 9 at the half. They play two 25-minute halves. The other team's coach spent the entire game screaming at the refs, who are teenagers. He was screaming for foul calls the whole game. It got to the point where his kids started getting chippy. So much, so that one of our kids reacted by throwing a punch, which is not cool.

After the punch, parents walked onto the court, and the other coach walked over to our team's bench and was yelling at our coach. Our coach is a pretty big dude, and would likely have murdered this dude, but our guy kept his cool and ignored him while the teenage refs intervened.

I get that sports are about competition, but it's a bunch of 10/11yo kids who are out there playing for fun, and this league emphasizes sportsmanship and so on. I'm not so naive that I think everyone should get a trophy, or you shouldn't play to win. I just feel like that other coach changed the energy of the game by screaming his displeasure. It's not AAU or any other pipeline to higher-level play. It's messy at best.

It was embarrassing to witness, and for my kid to see it.

Our kids lost by 2, and will likely face the same team in the season final.

Oh, and to make it worse, my kids' mom started yelling at the other coach.

Sun January 29, 2023 1:04 am

dad wrote:Just got home from one of the twins' youth basketball games. It's a rec league; the kids practice 20-30min before each game. His team got behind early and was down by 9 at the half. They play two 25-minute halves. The other team's coach spent the entire game screaming at the refs, who are teenagers. He was screaming for foul calls the whole game. It got to the point where his kids started getting chippy. So much, so that one of our kids reacted by throwing a punch, which is not cool.

After the punch, parents walked onto the court, and the other coach walked over to our team's bench and was yelling at our coach. Our coach is a pretty big dude, and would likely have murdered this dude, but our guy kept his cool and ignored him while the teenage refs intervened.

I get that sports are about competition, but it's a bunch of 10/11yo kids who are out there playing for fun, and this league emphasizes sportsmanship and so on. I'm not so naive that I think everyone should get a trophy, or you shouldn't play to win. I just feel like that other coach changed the energy of the game by screaming his displeasure. It's not AAU or any other pipeline to higher-level play. It's messy at best.

i'm assuming because they lost your kids get no dinner tonight, right?

dinner's for winners

Sun January 29, 2023 1:05 am

Damn dad. Do your kids enjoy this league?

Sun January 29, 2023 1:08 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:
dad wrote:Just got home from one of the twins' youth basketball games. It's a rec league; the kids practice 20-30min before each game. His team got behind early and was down by 9 at the half. They play two 25-minute halves. The other team's coach spent the entire game screaming at the refs, who are teenagers. He was screaming for foul calls the whole game. It got to the point where his kids started getting chippy. So much, so that one of our kids reacted by throwing a punch, which is not cool.

i'm assuming because they lost your kids get no dinner tonight, right?

dinner's for winners

he's with his mom, so I guess she'll decide that.

tragabigzanda wrote:Damn dad. Do your kids enjoy this league?

He likes it, but has already expressed a desire to play where he'd have to practice on a regular basis, learn fundamentals, etc.

If I'm honest, he needs the structure of a full-time coach, who will teach him to look for a teammate to pass to, put up his hands on defense, and not walk down the court to play defense--all things he'd wind up getting benched for.

Sun January 29, 2023 2:29 am

Dad - our kids game this morning. Same deal. Other coach in the teenager ref’s ear the whole time.

Difference is his team sucked and we won comfortably with ol’ Bam sitting on the bench the whole time.

Sun January 29, 2023 2:33 am

Drank Rosé yesterday and tonight. Got sushi yesterday and burrata tonight. I sure need to go back to the gym next week.

Sun January 29, 2023 2:53 am

Slept like hell the last couple nights, having some late night battles with the kid. Mom got it worse so I over caffeinated and gave her the day off.

Had breakfast with my girl. Then we went to the trampoline place with some friends. Then she and I went out for lunch and gelato. Then we went grocery shopping. Then to see Puss In Boots, where we ran into another one of her buddies and her family.

Came home and we had a family jam session next to a fire. Got the kid to bed about 30 mins earlier than usual. Now listening to NIN next to the fire.

Sun January 29, 2023 3:48 am

i love the image of listening to NIN next to a fire

which album?

Sun January 29, 2023 3:59 am

Hesitation Marks, with headphones. So much ear candy.

Sun January 29, 2023 4:06 am

'Satellite' is particularly rad on headphones.

Sun January 29, 2023 4:07 am

Ello Sailor wrote:'Satellite' is particularly rad on headphones.

Listening to Dave Matthews Band and sobbing again?
Post a reply