Switch to full style
Engage in discussions about news, politics, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Congress

Thu December 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Is there anything barring him from running again?
Poll: Half of Minnesotans don’t think Franken should resign

The Hill on MSN.comThe Hill on MSN.com · 3h

The poll also finds that 53 percent of voters approve of the job Franken is doing in office, compared to 42 percent who don't approve.

Thu December 28, 2017 10:34 pm

contemporary mores

Sun December 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Hard to imagine they pull this off, but I'm still (after everything else mind you) surprised they'd do this. Hard to comprehend the optics of just about the entire nursing home industry collapsing, and 1.4 million low income elderly people left to hope they have family who can and will see to them.

Sun December 31, 2017 6:29 pm

McParadigm wrote:
Hard to imagine they pull this off, but I'm still (after everything else mind you) surprised they'd do this. Hard to comprehend the optics of just about the entire nursing home industry collapsing, and 1.4 million low income elderly people left to hope they have family who can and will see to them.

Isn’t that Medicare?

Sun December 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Isn’t that Medicare?

Medicaid represents around 1/3 of all nursing home funding, through a combination of subsidized support for low income patients and other provisions. 63% of people in nursing homes have Medicaid as their primary payer.

Medicare doesn't cover unless you have ongoing problems requiring treatment (in other words, if you can't feed yourself, bathe yourself, or get off the pot without help, that doesn't count). It is meant to prioritize "get better" care...there is a limit to how long the benefit is triggered for.

Sun December 31, 2017 7:44 pm

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Isn’t that Medicare?

Medicaid represents around 1/3 of all nursing home funding, through a combination of subsidized support for low income patients and other provisions. 63% of people in nursing homes have Medicaid as their primary payer.

Medicare doesn't cover unless you have ongoing problems requiring treatment (in other words, if you can't feed yourself, bathe yourself, or get off the pot without help, that doesn't count). It is meant to prioritize "get better" care...there is a limit to how long the benefit is triggered for.

Interesting. I had no idea the system worked like that.

Mon January 01, 2018 10:45 pm

It's also pretty much their entire base at this point: the old white people. How bad are their internal projections for 2018 that they're just going to burn the whole thing down at this point?

Tue January 02, 2018 1:13 pm

bune wrote:It's also pretty much their entire base at this point: the old white people. How bad are their internal projections for 2018 that they're just going to burn the whole thing down at this point?

In order to try to correct my embarrassing lack of knowledge on this I did a bit more reading, seems like they would be cutting the ACA-driven expansion of medicaid that occurred a few years ago. Kaiser explains here:

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/what-coverage-and-financing-at-risk-under-repeal-of-aca-medicaid-expansion/

The nursing home thing might be a bit of scare tactic given the division of medicaid funding and the make up of the people made eligible after the ACA was enacted (mostly white, working age adults without kids). Where this could be devastating is the home-care worker industry and the disabled and those who support them. Couldn't we just get Raytheon to build a nursing home instead of a frigate?
Last edited by Bi_3 on Tue January 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue January 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Hasn't Mitch McConnell stated that entitlement reform is a non-starter in the Senate?

Tue January 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Fri January 05, 2018 5:35 am

Green Habit wrote:

Will this get the twitter alt right to agitate for the Mormocaust again? I kinda hope so, it was a fun meme for a minute after McMullin announced.

Mon January 08, 2018 10:11 pm

No fewer than 7 House Republican committee chairs are now retiring.

Mon January 08, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm going to be super cynical and say it's because the payday for lobbying is now higher than the payday for taking bribes. I mean, er, campaign donations.

Tue January 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Not sure where to best put this, but I believe two other states have similar cases ongoing. If they produce similar results, is expect groups all over the country to capitalize on the precedent.

Tue January 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Those cases are really going to come down to the Gill case that's before SCOTUS right now.

Wed January 10, 2018 3:36 am

if i were a congressman, i would want to be one of those that just introduces ridiculous shit to make a symbolic point on C-SPAN

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/05/28/Flo ... -Congress/

Wed January 10, 2018 11:55 am

96583UP wrote:if i were a congressman, i would want to be one of those that just introduces ridiculous shit to make a symbolic point on C-SPAN

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/05/28/Flo ... -Congress/

He's got a point there.

Wed January 10, 2018 4:17 pm

McParadigm wrote:No fewer than 7 House Republican committee chairs are now retiring.

Wed January 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Eh I guess Issa was a former oversight chairman.

Tue January 16, 2018 5:50 pm

:haha:
Post a reply