The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Midterms
PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 5:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Kind of like people who complain about a _____ being built with budgeted money and saying it should have been used for something else. Except that's not how budgets work, since if it's budgeted for the _____ it can't be used for anything else anyway.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 6:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

But...you could write a different budget and use that money somewhere else

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 6:44 pm 
AnalLog

The right’s focus on her and constant need to tear her down is very telling. Most people when asked her name would say, “Who?”

And considering the moron in charge that they’re constantly defending, it’s kinda laughable and sad.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 9:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

meatwad wrote:
The right’s focus on her and constant need to tear her down is very telling. Most people when asked her name would say, “Who?”

And considering the moron in charge that they’re constantly defending, it’s kinda laughable and sad.

The 'right' aren't going after her for her popularity, they are going after because she is the living embodiment of progressive thought and a manifestation of the worst things in American politics. Youth over experience. Style over substance. Volume over correctness. Intersectionality over ability. She is the harbinger of the permanent decline of America into idiocracy, the very thing red staters were told to fear and that got Trump elected, and even the most loyal liberals need to see the poison to the nation people like her bring.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 9:33 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

McParadigm wrote:
It’s sort of like how the anti-SJW thread is full of people who don’t see the irony in having created a safe space where they can alternate between being alarmed by and derisively mocking perceived problems that amount to literally nothing.

Lol you hate that thread so much.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 9:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

AOC is a moron, but I wonder if republicans will turn her into another Trump by constantly riding her. Because we live in a very idiotic time and when someone is relentlessly attacked, they automatically become popular even if they deserve the criticism.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 9:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
AOC is a moron, but I wonder if republicans will turn her into another Trump by constantly riding her. Because we live in a very idiotic time and when someone is relentlessly attacked, they automatically become popular even if they deserve the criticism.

She just committed an ethics violation, so she’s more trump than not.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/39160/ocasio-cortez-threatens-retaliate-against-trump-jr-ryan-saavedra

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 9:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
It’s sort of like how the anti-SJW thread is full of people who don’t see the irony in having created a safe space where they can alternate between being alarmed by and derisively mocking perceived problems that amount to literally nothing.

I consider it the checkstand tabloid of N&D, but I have come to enjoy the “man laughing at the image in his mirror” aspect of it all.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 10:03 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I consider it the checkstand tabloid of N&D, but I have come to enjoy the “man laughing at the image in his mirror” aspect of it all.

Yeah totally a mirror image.Stay out of my safe space, mcp. Only people who think like me allowed.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 10:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Yeah totally a mirror image.Stay out of my safe space, mcp. Only people who think like me allowed.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 10:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

You don't need a safe space when you've built a castle out of tweets.

PostPosted: Fri December 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
AnalLog

Bi_3 wrote:
meatwad wrote:

The 'right' aren't going after her for her popularity, they are going after because she is the living embodiment of progressive thought and a manifestation of the worst things in American politics. Youth over experience. Style over substance. Volume over correctness. Intersectionality over ability. She is the harbinger of the permanent decline of America into idiocracy, the very thing red staters were told to fear and that got Trump elected, and even the most loyal liberals need to see the poison to the nation people like her bring.

I guess my point is that she’s one of 435 members of the House, who just entered politics. Nobody’s saying she should be president, or speaker, or anything else than the representative for her district.

PostPosted: Mon December 10, 2018 6:37 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
bune wrote:
*pinches nose*

So, can either of you expound on what you're going on about? I get you don't like her but you're just freaking out at this point.

She doesn’t know the difference between transactions and spending and grossly misunderstands budget numbers, and this makes her pretty much in line with 70% of politicians on both sides but she’s a young female liberal so it’s horrifying.

She’s super quick to assume things and is financially illiterate, but she’s also not the Democrat rallying cry she’s presented as and won’t have any real budgeting influence for many years. It’s hard to take this gasping in horror seriously considering the state of fiscal conversations and ambitions in conservatism today.

To Bune: I'm not "going on about" anything, I don't dislike AOC, and I'm not freaking out. In my opinion, that tweet shows that she doesn't understand the basics of policy. And I guess that's fine. She's entering her first term, she'll have no power in Congress, and like McP correctly pointed out, Congress is already full of people who don't understand policy, math, or basic accounting, so what's one more? And that's kind of true. Of course, if the defense of a person boils down to "so what, everybody else is dumb, too" then that's not a particularly ringing endorsement.

The Right probably is going out of their way to attack her for some superficial reasons, but her stated positions are pretty well to the left of theirs, so it could just be that she's rivaling Bernie to be the face of the Left wing of the Democratic party and this is just run-of-the-mill demonizing. But yeah, gender, color, and youth probably do have something to do with it.

I am not of the Right, nor am I conservative. I don't think what I'm doing is "gasping in horror" but I am troubled by economic ignorance of policy-makers in general and that just happened to be an example of it. The bottom line for me is that I care very much about financial literacy. Usually on a personal level, but also on a policy level. I've created financial literacy curriculum for my county, I teach it for a living. I care about this stuff. Way more than the average person, I'm sure. So when I see a tweet like that I guess it does horrify me to an extent. Not from a policy perspective, because again who cares really what one incoming freshman Representative thinks, but because of the level of economic ignorance I think it displays.

I'm not as generous as McP to write it off as confusing transactions and spending. And I'm open to the idea that I'm not being fair here, but to me the claim of $21 trillion in lost defense spending is so patently absurd on its face that it doesn't merit anything beyond intense skepticism. But it confirmed her bias so she retweeted it as proof that the main plank of her platform is actually really affordable when in fact it doesn't provide anything of the kind. I don't fault her there either, because we all have a tendency to latch onto information that conforms to our biases and are probably less skeptical of supporting evidence than we should be. That just makes her human. I'm positive that I've done it, too.

Maybe it's unfair that I expect her to realize that such a number doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I honestly don't know. I study and read about and teach this stuff all the time. It's my job. Maybe the average person really wouldn't look at that twice and see anything to be skeptical of. That's certainly possible. In which case, maybe I'm being too hard on her. At the same time, I guess my other issue is the reach that she has, so she gets 70,000 RTs or whatever for something that is clearly not true and these wrong ideas are spread further. I think it just shows the endemic economic ignorance in the U.S. right now. I think it causes people to demand policies based on a misunderstanding of basic facts. Like, how incredible would be if we could pay for Medicare for All just by not losing money appropriated for the defense department? That would be legitimately fantastic and I think almost everybody would be for that. It’d be a remarkably close to costless way to do something very expensive, which of course is the point. This tweet was implying that something as expensive (whether good or bad policy is irrelevant) as Medicare for All is actually incredibly easy to pay for. If true, then what kind of monster could be against it? That’s what I don’t like, and I do find that dangerous. And though she's on the Left, that's not why I care at all. I fully agree that the Right is just as bad and often much, much worse doing the same exact thing.

PostPosted: Mon December 10, 2018 7:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This is a stellar summary of everything that sucked about that tweet.
Quote:
I'm not as generous as McP to write it off as confusing transactions and spending. And I'm open to the idea that I'm not being fair here, but to me the claim of $21 trillion in lost defense spending is so patently absurd on its face that it doesn't merit anything beyond intense skepticism. But it confirmed her bias so she retweeted it as proof that the main plank of her platform is actually really affordable when in fact it doesn't provide anything of the kind.

PostPosted: Mon December 10, 2018 11:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

there was legit some thing tho where ~$6 Trillion in pentagon spending was flagged as unreconcileable

obv the hate for her stupidity is partially justified but (false equivalency time!) she’s no dumber than sarah palin and the right deified her pretty quickly

welcome to the world of populist politics

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 2:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
bune wrote:
*pinches nose*

So, can either of you expound on what you're going on about? I get you don't like her but you're just freaking out at this point.

She doesn’t know the difference between transactions and spending and grossly misunderstands budget numbers, and this makes her pretty much in line with 70% of politicians on both sides but she’s a young female liberal so it’s horrifying.

She’s super quick to assume things and is financially illiterate, but she’s also not the Democrat rallying cry she’s presented as and won’t have any real budgeting influence for many years. It’s hard to take this gasping in horror seriously considering the state of fiscal conversations and ambitions in conservatism today.

To Bune: I'm not "going on about" anything, I don't dislike AOC, and I'm not freaking out. In my opinion, that tweet shows that she doesn't understand the basics of policy. And I guess that's fine. She's entering her first term, she'll have no power in Congress, and like McP correctly pointed out, Congress is already full of people who don't understand policy, math, or basic accounting, so what's one more? And that's kind of true. Of course, if the defense of a person boils down to "so what, everybody else is dumb, too" then that's not a particularly ringing endorsement.

The Right probably is going out of their way to attack her for some superficial reasons, but her stated positions are pretty well to the left of theirs, so it could just be that she's rivaling Bernie to be the face of the Left wing of the Democratic party and this is just run-of-the-mill demonizing. But yeah, gender, color, and youth probably do have something to do with it.

I am not of the Right, nor am I conservative. I don't think what I'm doing is "gasping in horror" but I am troubled by economic ignorance of policy-makers in general and that just happened to be an example of it. The bottom line for me is that I care very much about financial literacy. Usually on a personal level, but also on a policy level. I've created financial literacy curriculum for my county, I teach it for a living. I care about this stuff. Way more than the average person, I'm sure. So when I see a tweet like that I guess it does horrify me to an extent. Not from a policy perspective, because again who cares really what one incoming freshman Representative thinks, but because of the level of economic ignorance I think it displays.

I'm not as generous as McP to write it off as confusing transactions and spending. And I'm open to the idea that I'm not being fair here, but to me the claim of $21 trillion in lost defense spending is so patently absurd on its face that it doesn't merit anything beyond intense skepticism. But it confirmed her bias so she retweeted it as proof that the main plank of her platform is actually really affordable when in fact it doesn't provide anything of the kind. I don't fault her there either, because we all have a tendency to latch onto information that conforms to our biases and are probably less skeptical of supporting evidence than we should be. That just makes her human. I'm positive that I've done it, too.

Maybe it's unfair that I expect her to realize that such a number doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I honestly don't know. I study and read about and teach this stuff all the time. It's my job. Maybe the average person really wouldn't look at that twice and see anything to be skeptical of. That's certainly possible. In which case, maybe I'm being too hard on her. At the same time, I guess my other issue is the reach that she has, so she gets 70,000 RTs or whatever for something that is clearly not true and these wrong ideas are spread further. I think it just shows the endemic economic ignorance in the U.S. right now. I think it causes people to demand policies based on a misunderstanding of basic facts. Like, how incredible would be if we could pay for Medicare for All just by not losing money appropriated for the defense department? That would be legitimately fantastic and I think almost everybody would be for that. It’d be a remarkably close to costless way to do something very expensive, which of course is the point. This tweet was implying that something as expensive (whether good or bad policy is irrelevant) as Medicare for All is actually incredibly easy to pay for. If true, then what kind of monster could be against it? That’s what I don’t like, and I do find that dangerous. And though she's on the Left, that's not why I care at all. I fully agree that the Right is just as bad and often much, much worse doing the same exact thing.

See, that's what I was looking for instead of a quick drive by. I don't understand that stuff even 1/8th of how you do so I appreciate the time you took to explain it more. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed December 12, 2018 1:02 am 
See you in another life, brother

So Steve King didn't know that Google doesn't make iPhones.

It boggles my mind that anyone trusts these people to make policy.

PostPosted: Wed December 12, 2018 1:33 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i actually don't think that was the point he was trying to make

i thought it was about how the ad that popped up was about him

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed December 12, 2018 2:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

4/5 wrote:
So Steve King didn't know that Google doesn't make iPhones.

It boggles my mind that anyone trusts these people to make policy.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/11/181 ... ce=twitter
Quote:
In any case, during the hearing, King also suggested that Congress should check Google employees’ social media profiles to monitor their political leanings — so some confusing troubleshooting requests were probably the least of Pichai’s worries.
This mother fucker...

I can't even describe how heinous it is that someone like Steve fucking King thinks that political leanings should be monitored.

PostPosted: Wed December 12, 2018 3:08 am 

Is this really the picture you want to go with for your article on Cortez deciding she's jewish now? wtf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate