The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Midterms
PostPosted: Sun September 09, 2018 2:39 am 
Looks Like a Cat

He's showing the fuck up!

PostPosted: Sun September 09, 2018 7:17 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
He's showing the fuck up!

Did Ted Cruz just pay for an ad endoursing Beto?

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This may be an outlier, but holy shit. Coming on the heels of a 4 point downturn in the president’s popularity, confirmed across several weeks by multiple polls, makes it seem more plausible....as does recent news that republicans are secretly starting to suspect they might lose the Senate.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 12:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Two things:

1. A lot of speculation is going around about what caused this...the book, the oped, Kavanaugh’s unpopularity, etc. But I think it’s pretty telling that these polls starting to shift after Facebook, which is the leading news source among low information voters, started making efforts to reduce misinformation on its site.

2. My biggest concern is that even a semi-competent handling of the hurricane response will feel like such a massive relief that it will temper some of this.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 1:40 pm 
The Master

my biggest concern is that the polls leading up to the 2016 election were not even remotely fucking close. the only wild cards i see are:

1. independent voters
2. female voters
3. new (first-time or historically disengaged) voters

they'll all be showing up in much higher numbers than 2016, but i'll make no assumptions as to how they'll vote because pollsters whiffed big last time, and because many people are idiots

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 1:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I don’t think that’s an accurate summary at all. Polls in 2016 never had Clinton at much more than a 9 point lead, and the final week of calling showed her at around a +3. She ended up coming out 2.1% ahead. That seems pretty predictive.

Polling is raw data, and doesn’t account for how those votes might be handicapped by gerrymandering or the electoral college...which is why Nate Silver previously said he wouldn’t consider a Democrat takeover of the Senate plausible unless they could manage a 12 point national advantage.

PostPosted: Wed September 12, 2018 3:56 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
I don’t think that’s an accurate summary at all. Polls in 2016 never had Clinton at much more than a 9 point lead, and the final week of calling showed her at around a +3. She ended up coming out 2.1% ahead. That seems pretty predictive.

Yeah, this.

I also wouldn't underestimate the effect of the exact timing of the polls and the election. That cycle featured some pretty major polling swings following the news cycle and of course the last news that affected voters was that Comey bit which sent Clinton's numbers into a nosedive. I think it's very possible that Hillary would have won if the election were the day before Comey's attention grab (or barring new news maybe a week or so after the election once that proclamation became old news), and I think it's also likely that polls didn't have adequate time to fully include the full adjustment caused by that news.

Another major mistake a lot of people made in their prediction models based on the polls was that they viewed the result in individual states as uncorrelated events. Therefore if they gave Hillary a 75% chance of winning in each of, let's say Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota they viewed Trump as having a 0.39% chance of winning all four. Silver's model wisely viewed the results in similar states as being correlated, suggesting that if Hillary had a 75% chance of winning in each of them, an upset in one could be predictive of an upset in the others, so his model gave Trump a better chance than most, e.g. the NYT one that had her with an absurd 99% chance of victory.

PostPosted: Thu September 13, 2018 11:43 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Yeah, this.

I also wouldn't underestimate the effect of the exact timing of the polls and the election. That cycle featured some pretty major polling swings following the news cycle and of course the last news that affected voters was that Comey bit which sent Clinton's numbers into a nosedive. I think it's very possible that Hillary would have won if the election were the day before Comey's attention grab (or barring new news maybe a week or so after the election once that proclamation became old news), and I think it's also likely that polls didn't have adequate time to fully include the full adjustment caused by that news.

Another major mistake a lot of people made in their prediction models based on the polls was that they viewed the result in individual states as uncorrelated events. Therefore if they gave Hillary a 75% chance of winning in each of, let's say Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota they viewed Trump as having a 0.39% chance of winning all four. Silver's model wisely viewed the results in similar states as being correlated, suggesting that if Hillary had a 75% chance of winning in each of them, an upset in one could be predictive of an upset in the others, so his model gave Trump a better chance than most, e.g. the NYT one that had her with an absurd 99% chance of victory.

There was an article on 538 about a week before the election that laid this out pretty clearly (i.e., it described exactly what happened), and I've been trying to find it for a while now but it keeps slipping through my fingers.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 12:03 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Yeah, this.

There was an article on 538 about a week before the election that laid this out pretty clearly (i.e., it described exactly what happened), and I've been trying to find it for a while now but it keeps slipping through my fingers.

Right, I think I've got it, and it's actually pulling from two different articles (I read them religiously). One was titled "Why Our Model Is More Bullish Than Others On Trump" (from 10/24/16) and lays out exactly what 4/5 is talking about:

Quote:
In 2012, Obama beat his polling by 2 or 3 percentage points in almost every swing state. The same was true in 1980 when Ronald Reagan won in a landslide — instead of the modest lead that polls showed a few days before the election — and claimed 489 electoral votes by winning almost every competitive state. You also frequently see this in midterms — Republicans beat their polling in almost every key Senate and gubernatorial race in 2014, for example.

Basically, this means that you shouldn’t count on states to behave independently of one another, especially if they’re demographically similar. If Clinton loses Pennsylvania despite having a big lead in the polls there, for instance, she might also have problems in Michigan, North Carolina and other swing states. What seems like an impregnable firewall in the Electoral College may begin to collapse.

And then from 11/1, an article titled "Yes, Donald Trump Has A Path To Victory":

Quote:
It’s true that Trump would have to make a breakthrough somewhere, by winning at least one state in Clinton’s firewall. But that’s why it’s not only reasonable but 100 percent strategically correct for Trump to be campaigning in states such as Michigan and Wisconsin. (I’ll grant that New Mexico is more of a stretch.) Sure, Trump’s behind in these states, but he has to win somewhere where he’s behind — or he’s consigning himself to four more years in Trump Tower instead of the White House. Michigan and Wisconsin are as reasonable as any other targets: Trump isn’t any further behind in them than he is in higher-profile battleground states such as Pennsylvania, and the demographics are potentially more favorable for him.

If you want to debate a campaign’s geographic planning, Hillary Clinton spending time in Arizona is a much worse decision than Trump hanging out in Michigan or Wisconsin. Sure, she could win the state — but probably only if she’s having a strong night nationally. If the results are tight next Tuesday instead, Michigan and Wisconsin are much more likely to swing the election.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 5:44 pm 

Yup. I remember telling my classes that in the days right before the election. I also recall that about a week out 538 had Clinton with a 75% chance of victory so I reminded students what that actual means: Trump had the same chance of winning the presidency as you have of flipping heads twice in a row. I decided to demonstrate and promptly flipped heads twice in a row to the great delight of a depressingly large contingent of my p.2 class.

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 10:30 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Yup. I remember telling my classes that in the days right before the election. I also recall that about a week out 538 had Clinton with a 75% chance of victory so I reminded students what that actual means: Trump had the same chance of winning the presidency as you have of flipping heads twice in a row. I decided to demonstrate and promptly flipped heads twice in a row to the great delight of a depressingly large contingent of my p.2 class.

Haha

PostPosted: Fri September 14, 2018 10:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Like the world’s worst Two Face performance

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 2:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Sun September 16, 2018 3:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

he then proceeded to civilly hump a 12-year old

Quote:
Wexner had a close relationship with Jeffrey Epstein, who managed Wexner's money. Wexner and Epstein parted when Epstein went to prison.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Wexner

omg this quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

Quote:
Trump said of Epstein in 2002: "I've known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side."[61]

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon September 17, 2018 3:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This poll predates the events of the last 4 days.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 1:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 2:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I wonder if they go home at night and laugh at the shit they sell to the people at their rally's.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 3:11 pm 

Has Beto O' Rouke already scheduled some BBQ/cookout rallies yet? If not he needs a new campaign manager.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 3:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

His campaign logo looks exactly like Whataburger's spicy ketchup packaging, so I'd say he's safe from any food-related smears.

PostPosted: Tue September 18, 2018 7:50 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Optics! OPTICS! We're trying to establish a narrative here!

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate