The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Midterms
PostPosted: Tue October 23, 2018 8:39 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Stole it but haha

PostPosted: Tue October 23, 2018 10:07 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I shit you not, Yesterday I got a flyer that says:

“Marching in the Takoma Park parade holding a chicken is not the only disqualifying thing Robin Ficker has done”

... as it’s big political position, then goes on to point out:

“He was a loud and obnoxious sports heckler”

And goddamnit i can’t seem to come up with a response to those two statements

PostPosted: Tue October 23, 2018 10:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/

Some good news I guess

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 2:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

lol

GOP alarmed Obamacare attacks could cost them the House

For weeks, vulnerable Rep. Glenn Grothman had been getting pummeled by his Democratic opponent for voting to curb protections for people with pre-existing conditions — most recently with an attack ad depicting a little boy with an oxygen mask over his face gasping for air.

So on a conference call with GOP leaders last week, Grothman pleaded with party leaders to invest in a nationwide TV ad that could run in competitive districts like his, defending the House GOP’s Obamacare repeal bill that passed the chamber last year, according to three sources on the call.

You’re on your own, was the response. It would be too expensive, Republican leaders told Grothman.

House Republicans are increasingly worried that Democrats’ attacks on their votes to repeal and replace Obamacare could cost them the House. While the legislation stalled in the Senate, it’s become a toxic issue on the campaign trail for the House Republicans who backed it.

“I’m getting my ass kicked” for backing the House repeal plan, Republican Rep. Martha McSally, who’s running for an open Senate seat in Arizona, acknowledged to Sean Hannity this week. Though she insisted that the repeal bill is “being misconstrued by the Democrats,” it’s clear she thinks the ads are taking a toll.

“They’re trying to invoke fear in people who have family members and loved ones with pre-existing conditions,” she told Hannity. McSally is airing her own ad in response claiming that she’s “leading the fight to ... force insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions.”

Grothman represents what’s been a GOP stronghold in Wisconsin, but the health care attacks have contributed to a tightening of the race, Democrats say. Grothman has been forced to spend money parrying the attacks, and he argued during a debate against his challenger, Democrat Dan Kohl, last night that he never voted to gut protections for people with pre-existing health problems.

“I’m Glenn Grothman, and I won’t take a dime from pharmaceutical companies,” Grothman said in a new ad released this week.

The video aired just a few days after Kohl’s ad depicting the sick child and asserting that “insurance companies love Glenn Grothman,” because he “does what they want, so they give thousands to his campaigns.”

“Health care is the No. 1 issue I hear about on the trail,” Kohl said in an interview Wednesday. “People here are rightfully concerned about their health care being taken away.”

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 2:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Imagine being told in 2015 that opposition to Obamacare would be one of the most politically toxic positions a politician could take in just a few years.

Quote:
The idea of scuttling protections for pre-existing conditions is unpopular across the political spectrum. More than seven in 10 voters, including two-thirds of Republicans, said it should be illegal for insurers to be allowed to charge more for coverage of individuals with earlier health problems, according to a Morning Consult poll released last month.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 3:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In a way, the revelatory reaction to “did you know that the ACA is also Obamacare” in our society has been the most horrifying and revealing social experiment re:modern democratic society.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 3:18 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Keep your government hands off my Medicare

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 4:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Argonaut wrote:
Keep your government hands off my Medicare

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 10:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

My goodness, there are a lot of these popping up this year.

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 11:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Quote:
washing machine,

It’s day four of early voting here in Texas. We’re getting lots of interesting data coming back to the campaign. Here’s a high-level overview:

We broke the record for early voting turnout in a midterm. About as many Texans are voting early as they do in presidential elections. This is a really good sign for Beto.

Polls have Beto within the margin of error -- it’s going to be CLOSE.

We need to turn out more young voters. Young voters usually vote on weekends when they’re off of school and work. We can pick up our pace if we make a really big push this weekend.
WM, this election could be decided by a handful of votes. Given how close this is, we need to increase our investment in “get out the vote” advertising to Beto supporters -- especially young voters.

Can you chip in again right now to our targeted advertising to get out Beto voters? Your donations right now could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

If you've stored your info with ActBlue, we'll process your contribution instantly:

EXPRESS DONATE: $15 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $25 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $50 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $100 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $250 »

Give another amount »

It’s absolutely critical that we reach our end-of-month fundraising goal. Right now is the time our investments will make the biggest difference. That’s why your donation right now means so much.

Thanks for all your support,

Team Beto

PostPosted: Thu October 25, 2018 11:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The worst indictment of modern American democracy is the consistent trend that, on average, every $500,000 spent on final month adverts exerts a change of 1% in the final vote, if it happens in a vacuum (no ads by your opponent). The last month of any race within 6% is a financial endurance test because, of that already small subset of Americans who vote, up to 10% are heavily influenced by whose commercials they saw the most of.

Which sucks.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 12:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

so basically Beto shaping up to be a nice just-miss and false sense of satisfaction that 'over time the tide is turning'

Spoiler: show
unless George Soros wires him $10 MM for that final week

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 12:33 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

96583UP wrote:
unless George Soros wires him $10 MM for that final week

If you see anything with George Soros' address anywhere on it, don't open it.

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 12:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

washing machine wrote:
Quote:
washing machine,

It’s day four of early voting here in Texas. We’re getting lots of interesting data coming back to the campaign. Here’s a high-level overview:

We broke the record for early voting turnout in a midterm. About as many Texans are voting early as they do in presidential elections. This is a really good sign for Beto.

Polls have Beto within the margin of error -- it’s going to be CLOSE.

We need to turn out more young voters. Young voters usually vote on weekends when they’re off of school and work. We can pick up our pace if we make a really big push this weekend.
WM, this election could be decided by a handful of votes. Given how close this is, we need to increase our investment in “get out the vote” advertising to Beto supporters -- especially young voters.

Can you chip in again right now to our targeted advertising to get out Beto voters? Your donations right now could mean the difference between victory and defeat.

If you've stored your info with ActBlue, we'll process your contribution instantly:

EXPRESS DONATE: $15 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $25 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $50 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $100 »

EXPRESS DONATE: $250 »

Give another amount »

It’s absolutely critical that we reach our end-of-month fundraising goal. Right now is the time our investments will make the biggest difference. That’s why your donation right now means so much.

Thanks for all your support,

Team Beto

you should forward this to jeff bezos

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 2:28 am 
Future Drummer

People are upset when you brazenly vote that you don't care if they love or die.

Who knew?

PostPosted: Fri October 26, 2018 12:44 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Been seeing a lot about these actions in isolation, but this is the first time I’ve seen or thought about these actions all together.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 5:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I made the mistake of answering a couple phone polls, so now everyone has my number.

During the past month or so, volunteers texting me about various ballot measures and asking if they have my vote have been met with explanations about why voting is immoral.

I hope I'm not the only one.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 5:14 am 
Production Police

simple schoolboy wrote:
I made the mistake of answering a couple phone polls, so now everyone has my number.

During the past month or so, volunteers texting me about various ballot measures and asking if they have my vote have been met with explanations about why voting is immoral.

I hope I'm not the only one.

me too

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 5:19 am 
Mind Your Tanners

You think that voting is immoral? Jesus fucking Christ, this has got to be a good story.

PostPosted: Sat October 27, 2018 12:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

you guys have land lines? or is this on cell phone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 70  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate