The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: philosophy Thread (political and otherwise)
PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 4:03 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 12:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

true or false: If you choose your mate based on his/her genes you are practicing eugenics.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2018 3:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
true or false: If you choose your mate based on his/her genes you are practicing eugenics.

LOL @ free will

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 5:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:

This is problematic in assuming that your partner has gametes complimentary to yours. You are transphobic in positing this question.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 4:08 am 

I was thinking about the question of whether the Earth is overpopulated, and it seems like people are formulating the question wrong. It's not about resources.

We aren't overpopulated because there isn't plenty of space or calories to go around (there are). We are overpopulated because the systems and institutions we've relied on to this point aren't functional at this scale. I'm not sure humanity can even function in a world with 10 billion people without removing many of the things that make us human, even if there is enough resources to go around.

Would humanity as a whole be better off if there were fewer people on the planet (without killing anyone, of course)? If the answer is "yes", then we are overpopulated.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 4:10 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

BurtReynolds wrote:
I was thinking about the question of whether the Earth is

After reading this intro, the post when in a different direction than I thought it would.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 4:36 am 

Also, you think all the super rich people are secretly creating a master race using their own genetic material in a lab somewhere? If I were one of them, that's what I'd be doing. They'd all have 12 inch dicks. Even the girls.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 5:27 am 

For thousands of years, littering wouldn't have been considered a sin, because it had no real effect on the environment. Now it is. So we have this emergent sin that is born out of increasing population. i don't know where I'm going with that but...

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 11:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Also, you think all the super rich people are secretly creating a master race using their own genetic material in a lab somewhere? If I were one of them, that's what I'd be doing.

China is doing human 'optimization' trials, they aren't even being coy about it. I know people like to talk up CRISPR (esp. as the breakthrough was found be women), but that shit is gonna be the end of everything. Not capitalism, not racism, not nuclear weapons, not AI.

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 11:31 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
I was thinking about the question of whether the Earth is overpopulated, and it seems like people are formulating the question wrong. It's not about resources.

We aren't overpopulated because there isn't plenty of space or calories to go around (there are). We are overpopulated because the systems and institutions we've relied on to this point aren't functional at this scale. I'm not sure humanity can even function in a world with 10 billion people without removing many of the things that make us human, even if there is enough resources to go around.

Would humanity as a whole be better off if there were fewer people on the planet (without killing anyone, of course)? If the answer is "yes", then we are overpopulated.

We can easily function with 10 billion, because the systems work at scale, but we should have fewer people. Like billions fewer. But who (besides Tumblr) gets to decide who on Earth can have kids?

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 11:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/08/07/429768917/11-billion-people-by-2100-and-india-will-be-more-populous-than-china

"A new U.N. report forecasts the biggest growth spurt in history. By the year 2030, the report predicts, Earth's population is expected to jump to 8.5 billion. And by the end of the century, the projection is 11.2 billion. That's about 6 percent higher than earlier forecasts."

PostPosted: Fri March 02, 2018 8:23 pm 

Why is with India? Why can't they keep it in their pants?

PostPosted: Fri March 09, 2018 11:09 pm 

Bi_3 wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Also, you think all the super rich people are secretly creating a master race using their own genetic material in a lab somewhere? If I were one of them, that's what I'd be doing.

China is doing human 'optimization' trials, they aren't even being coy about it. I know people like to talk up CRISPR (esp. as the breakthrough was found be women), but that shit is gonna be the end of everything. Not capitalism, not racism, not nuclear weapons, not AI.

We can only hope that the ubermensch will be nice.

PostPosted: Tue March 13, 2018 3:25 am 

Trying to get through The Ego and His Own again. If Stirner said that you shouldn't subordinate yourself to an ideology, but also said that you shouldn't subordinate yourself to your own desires, what the hell am I supposed to do?

PostPosted: Tue March 13, 2018 10:43 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Trying to get through The Ego and His Own again. If Stirner said that you shouldn't subordinate yourself to an ideology, but also said that you shouldn't subordinate yourself to your own desires, what the hell am I supposed to do?

Clean your damn room.

PostPosted: Tue March 13, 2018 11:14 pm 

Clean rooms are a spook!

This is my favorite bit:

Quote:
You long for freedom? You fools! If you took might, freedom would come of itself. See, he who has might "stands above the law." How does this prospect taste to you, you "law-abiding" people? But you have no taste!

The cry for "freedom" rings loudly all around. But is it felt and known what a donated or chartered freedom must mean? It is not recognized in the full amplitude of the word that all freedom is essentially - self-liberation - that I can have only so much freedom as I procure for myself by my ownness. Of what use is it to sheep that no one abridges their freedom of speech? They stick to bleating. Give one who is inwardly a Mohammedan, a Jew, or a Christian, permission to speak what he likes: he will yet utter only narrow-minded stuff. If, on the contrary, certain others rob you of the freedom of speaking and hearing, they know quite rightly wherein lies their temporary advantage, as you would perhaps be able to say and hear something whereby those "certain" persons would lose their credit.

If they nevertheless give you freedom, they are simply knaves who give more than they have. For then they give you nothing of their own, but stolen wares: they give you your own freedom, the freedom that you must take for yourselves; and they give it to you only that you may not take it and call the thieves and cheats to an account to boot. In their slyness they know well that given (chartered) freedom is no freedom, since only the freedom one takes for himself, therefore the egoist's freedom, rides with full sails. Donated freedom strikes its sails as soon as there comes a storm - or calm; it requires always a - gentle and moderate breeze.

Here lies the difference between self-liberation and emancipation (manumission, setting free). Those who today "stand in the opposition" are thirsting and screaming to be "set free." The princes are to "declare their peoples of age," that is, emancipate them! Behave as if you were of age, and you are so without any declaration of majority; if you do not behave accordingly, you are not worthy of it, and would never be of age even by a declaration of majority. When the Greeks were of age, they drove out their tyrants, and, when the son is of age, he makes himself independent of his father. If the Greeks had waited until their tyrants graciously allowed them their majority, they might have waited long. A sensible father throws out a son who will not come of age, and keeps the house to himself; it serves the noodle right.

The man who is set free is nothing but a freed man, a libertinus, a dog dragging a piece of chain with him: he is an unfree man in the garment of freedom, like the ass in the lion's skin.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 2:12 am 

who's the greatest video game character of all time and why is it Liberty Prime?

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 5:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Too much egoism, not enough Hoppean Snake memes.

PostPosted: Sat March 17, 2018 5:21 am 

simple schoolboy wrote:
Too much egoism, not enough Hoppean Snake memes.

this one seems relevant

PostPosted: Sun March 18, 2018 5:27 am 
Rank This Poster

What's the world like? The real world, behind existence as we know it. For existence as we know it is really just a sort of illusion, a necessary illusion built upon necessary conditions of human experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 29  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate