The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Pedantic Struggles: The All Encompassing Philosophy Thre
PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 8:44 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu March 28, 2024 10:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i fw Hume, especially re: the non-endurance of the self, shout out to Shakyamuni

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 2:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Mon April 01, 2024 5:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2024 7:47 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“A revolutionary age is an age of action; ours is the age of advertisement and publicity. Nothing ever happens but there is immediate publicity everywhere. In the present age a rebellion is, of all things, the most unthinkable. Such an expression of strength would seem ridiculous to the calculating intelligence of our times. On the other hand a political virtuoso might bring off a feat almost as remarkable. He might write a manifesto suggesting a general assembly at which people should decide upon a rebellion, and it would be so carefully worded that even the censor would let it pass. At the meeting itself he would be able to create the impression that his audience had rebelled, after which they would all go quietly home--having spent a very pleasant evening.”
― Søren Kierkegaard, The Present Age

“In order than everything should be reduced to the same level, it is first of all necessary to procure a phantom, its spirit, a monstrous abstraction, an all-embracing something which is nothing, a mirage--and that phantom is the public.”

“More and more individuals, owing to their bloodless indolence, will aspire to be nothing at all--in order to become the public: that abstract whole formed in the most ludicrous way, by all participants becoming a third party (an onlooker).”

great little read.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2024 8:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i wish Mickey were here to enumerate Kierkegaard’s shortcomings

PostPosted: Tue April 02, 2024 8:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
“A revolutionary age is an age of action; ours is the age of advertisement and publicity. Nothing ever happens but there is immediate publicity everywhere. In the present age a rebellion is, of all things, the most unthinkable. Such an expression of strength would seem ridiculous to the calculating intelligence of our times. On the other hand a political virtuoso might bring off a feat almost as remarkable. He might write a manifesto suggesting a general assembly at which people should decide upon a rebellion, and it would be so carefully worded that even the censor would let it pass. At the meeting itself he would be able to create the impression that his audience had rebelled, after which they would all go quietly home--having spent a very pleasant evening.”

Isnt this from the NPR series "Thursdays in Park Slope"?

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2024 2:43 pm 

Physicalists and other positivists continuously mistake the map for the territory, then, upon not finding something on their map, make the leap of faith that the thing doesn't exist. They'll even deny their own existence or their own experience of qualia to confirm this belief. Infuriating!

PostPosted: Sun April 21, 2024 4:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 2:00 pm 

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 2:27 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate