The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hate Groups: White Supremacists, Neo-Nazis, the Alt-Righ
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm 
AnalLog

It reminds me of the FBI report awhile back that warned we all need to be aware that the KKK have/are infiltrating law enforcement agencies.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
I just don't understand why some people feel that their "native-by-birth, yet descendent of immigrants" position in a given country is somehow more righteous than "new immigrant" (did I state that question clearly?)

What are your feelings on colonization?

Great for the colonizers, sucky for the colonized.

Yeah, it kinda does. What is a colonizer in your view?

Off the top of my head: One who tries to impose, through force, their ideology, government, and/or economic system on a group of people from another country (or ungoverned territory).

I get it. You might be conflating colonization and colonialism, but lets go with it anyway. A missionary would not be a colonizer since they usually don't use force. Likewise a situation like Iraq would not colonization either, since the Iraqi's ultimately get to choose their fate. Israeli settlements on Palestinian land would be colonization, something we probably agree on, and a very rare example in the modern because not only the size and scope of human in-habitation on Earth, but democracy and organized militaries. In the absence of overwhelming military might, like the Israelis have, if a group of people wanted to impose, through force, their ideology, government, and/or economic system on an existing governed land, say a democracy, how would they do that?

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
The Master

Yes, I think your distinction between colonization and colonialism is important. As for your question at the end of your post, I guess it depends on the situation. Think about Afghanistan (not a democracy, I know) -- but after the "war" that took place there pursuant to 9/11, the US has been engaged in very soft colonization through economic/development measures --
"It sucks your country has been destroyed, why don't you let our development firms come in and rebuild your roads, hospitals, etc -- and say, we may as well bring a few Pizza Huts along while we're at it (Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine is an excellent report on these sorts of tactics)...

For democracies? I'm not sure. I imagine it would happen through a series of trade deals and the like.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:59 pm 
Future Drummer

yeah these days you can't throw a rock in Afghanistan without hitting a Pizza Hut, good point.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
yeah these days you can't throw a rock in Afghanistan without hitting a Pizza Hut, good point.

https://www.stripes.com/news/fast-food- ... n-1.117636

https://www.shakeshack.com/2012/01/02/locations/

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:21 pm 
The Master

Also my wife interviewed for a firm called Louis Berger that was doing major post-war redevelopment in Afghanistan at the time. I'm not making this narrative up, bart.

Last edited by tragabigzanda on Sat May 13, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:31 pm 
Future Drummer

You posted a story about fast food on US military bases. And a shake shack link which, unless I'm missing it, doesn't list any locations in Afghanistan. And cited the fact that your wife interviewed with a company as a source of expertise. I think I'm done with this.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:37 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
You posted a story about fast food on US military bases. And a shake shack link which, unless I'm missing it, doesn't list any locations in Afghanistan. And cited the fact that your wife interviewed with a company as a source of expertise. I think I'm done with this.

Your insightful contributions to the discussion will be sorely missed.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
bart wrote:

This discussion appears to consist of b_i "subtly" attempting to lead you into concluding that immigrants are in the process of slowly imposing sharia law on western culture, while you obliviously cite books that you misunderstood. There's nothing to be gained here.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan for a few years, but there were no fast food joints when I was there, except maybe once I saw a trailer on an air Base with a pizza hut sign on it but it was closed and appeared to have bullet holes in it

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:05 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bart wrote:

This discussion appears to consist of b_i "subtly" attempting to lead you into concluding that immigrants are in the process of slowly imposing sharia law on western culture, while you obliviously cite books that you misunderstood. There's nothing to be gained here.

I've learned that you're an arrogant dickhead, so I'd say it's all been worth it.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:06 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan for a few years, but there were no fast food joints when I was there, except maybe once I saw a trailer on an air Base with a pizza hut sign on it but it was closed and appeared to have bullet holes in it

Maybe I shouldn't have used Burger King as proof of my point that modern colonialism often takes the shape of gov't subsidized commerce of western mega-brands.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bart wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bart wrote:

Close. I was trying to lead him to understand one perspective on why existing populations may consider themselves more entitled to the land that they are on than new immigrants are, but as a side bar yes, cultural change from immigration without integration is a real thing and one of the primary reasons such feelings exist. Demographics are destiny, after all.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:25 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
bart wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bart wrote:

Close. I was trying to lead him to understand one perspective on why existing populations may consider themselves more entitled to the land that they are on than new immigrants are, but as a side bar yes, cultural change from immigration without integration is a real thing and one of the primary reasons such feelings exist. Demographics are destiny, after all.

But I don't see what this has to do with colonialism. From the immigrants' side in your example, they are not acting as colonials, but more like an "addendum" (can't think of a better word) to the established native culture; and from the natives' side, it sounds like you're blurring the lines between a fear of, or a protectionist stance against, the immigrant culture and colonialism.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I don't know where to put this. Technically I suppose its islamic terrorism but...

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/white-s ... th-police/

Quote:
White supremacist converts to Islam — then kills neo-Nazi pals for disrespecting his new faith

white supremacist is being accused of fatally shooting his two neo-Nazi roommates after they objected to his decision to convert to Islam.

The Tampa Bay Times reports that 18-year-old Devon Arthurs is being accused by police of gunning down two of his roommates — 22-year-old Jeremy Himmelman and 18-year-old Andrew Oneschuk — after they attacked his newfound Muslim faith.

According to police, Arthurs was upset at Islamophobia and decided to murder his two roommates “to bring attention to his cause.” Prior to converting to Islam, Arthurs was a committed white supremacist, as were his two slain roommates.

Police say that, after killing his two roommates, Arthurs went into a nearby smoke shop in Tampa Palms, where he took three hostages and threatened to kill them. After police arrived on the scene, they convinced him to release the hostages and turn himself in.

“I had to do it,” he said, according to police. “This wouldn’t have had to happen if your country didn’t bomb my country.”

Police say that Arthurs also told them that his goal was not only to draw attention to American foreign policy in the Muslim world, but also to “take some of the neo-Nazis with him” as part of his murderous rampage.

The Tampa Bay Times writes that Arthurs faces “two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated assault and three counts of armed kidnapping.”

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 am 
The Master

lol

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

wow it gets crazier

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... th/2324756

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 am 
The Master

My god that is incredible. Great premise for an onion article

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Im drunk and tryin to read this shit, u guys seem to have grown up and are more open minded and tolerant...good job old pearl jam pals!
So anyway, I let go of my fanclubs on and off about 6 times over the years, how the fuck do any of u affors good pearl jam seats? I havent seen pj since 2000! I look for tix for last few tours but the prices are too fuckin high!

PostPosted: Thu June 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
Poster of the Year

uhhh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 36  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate