The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun April 22, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34303
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
BurtReynolds wrote:
This week in Britain is a joke country news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england ... ssion=true

A teenager who posted rap lyrics which included racist language on Instagram has been found guilty of sending a grossly offensive message.



Might have to change weekly updates to daily:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Welsh.html

Police probe columnist Rod Liddle over 'hate crime' after he mocked the Welsh by saying the Second Severn Crossing 'linked them with the First World'.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 11:22 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4465
That Sam Harris / Ezra Klein debate over Charles Murray was a f**king train-wreck.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 6:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34303
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
this is pretty great.


_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 11:27 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 4465
Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers... and all of a sudden, nobody can think of anything to say.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/theyby-gender-neutral-child-parents-raise-couple-kyl-myers-zoomer-a8286876.html

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34303
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
http://www.iwf.org/news/2803518/Study:- ... nder-Roles

Quote:
It’s “ethically inappropriate” for government and medical organizations to describe breastfeeding as “natural” because the term enforces rigid notions about gender roles, claims a new study in Pediatrics.

“Coupling nature with motherhood… can inadvertently support biologically deterministic arguments about the roles of men and women in the family (for example, that women should be the primary caretaker,” the study says.

The study notes that in recent years, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Organization, and several state departments of health have all promoted breastfeeding over bottle-feeding, using the term “natural.”

“Referencing the ‘natural’ in breastfeeding promotion… may inadvertently endorse a set of values about family life and gender roles, which would be ethically inappropriate,” the study says.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
I get what they're driving at, but "ethically inappropriate" seems like a huge, subjective leap.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34303
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Quote:
“Coupling nature with motherhood… can inadvertently support biologically deterministic arguments about the roles of men and women in the family (for example, that women should be the primary caretaker,”


There is so much wrong with that statement that it is impossible to refute. It's like being presented with so many targets to shoot at once, the shooter freezes up.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 9157
note to scientist: ex-utero baby wants mommy as primary caretaker, because baby lived inside mommy

_________________
Pollster Rights for All


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34303
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
"We're sorry, but you don't get laid enough to work here."

Professional victim Pao wrote:

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
I was diving, I was diving
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 9994
Location: Space City
Yet another Burt post that led me straight to Urban Dictionary.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
I think the liberal backlash to the Roseanne reboot - almost entirely made up of people who clearly never cared about the original series and haven’t actually watched any of the new episodes - is just about the last straw for me. I am so beyond tired of this shit. The left has swallowed itself. There is nothing left to believe in.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:02 am
Posts: 13656
Location: Dat Azz
These people are all clearly insane.

_________________
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Post better and stop being a dork.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
I’m just so tired.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9607
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think the liberal backlash to the Roseanne reboot - almost entirely made up of people who clearly never cared about the original series and haven’t actually watched any of the new episodes - is just about the last straw for me. I am so beyond tired of this shit. The left has swallowed itself. There is nothing left to believe in.

I haven't seen it, but she's a Trump fan, right? Seems appropriate for that character.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51489
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
There is nothing LEFT to believe in.


Image

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23732
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

Can you provide some examples? I see it coming from both sides (the right's response to Michelle Wolfe, for instance), can't pinpoint anything in the recent past that has reflected especially poorly on the left (any worse than the right, that is).

Also, the left/right schism is a philosophical dinosaur and I wish it would hurry up and gasp its last breath.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 36037
Location: Mountains
B wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think the liberal backlash to the Roseanne reboot - almost entirely made up of people who clearly never cared about the original series and haven’t actually watched any of the new episodes - is just about the last straw for me. I am so beyond tired of this shit. The left has swallowed itself. There is nothing left to believe in.

I haven't seen it, but she's a Trump fan, right? Seems appropriate for that character.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 37441
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

Can you provide some examples? I see it coming from both sides (the right's response to Michelle Wolfe, for instance), can't pinpoint anything in the recent past that has reflected especially poorly on the left (any worse than the right, that is).

Also, the left/right schism is a philosophical dinosaur and I wish it would hurry up and gasp its last breath.

It’s just this constant trivializing of art as something disposable and replaceable, whether it’s Roseanne or Kanye or Mel Gibson or Roman Polanski or Woody Allen or whoever. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some version of “There’s plenty of great art made by good people, so you don’t need this art.” As if there’s some kind of non-problematic artistic analogue for any of these people. No, art doesn’t work that way, and you can’t just tell someone else how much any artist or work of art does or doesn’t mean to them. There’s just no nuance in the discussion. Everything is black or white, yes or no, approved or not approved. I’m so sick of it all.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
What's going on in here

a lot of hurt


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23732
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

Can you provide some examples? I see it coming from both sides (the right's response to Michelle Wolfe, for instance), can't pinpoint anything in the recent past that has reflected especially poorly on the left (any worse than the right, that is).

Also, the left/right schism is a philosophical dinosaur and I wish it would hurry up and gasp its last breath.

It’s just this constant trivializing of art as something disposable and replaceable, whether it’s Roseanne or Kanye or Mel Gibson or Roman Polanski or Woody Allen or whoever. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some version of “There’s plenty of great art made by good people, so you don’t need this art.” As if there’s some kind of non-problematic artistic analogue for any of these people. No, art doesn’t work that way, and you can’t just tell someone else how much any artist or work of art does or doesn’t mean to them. There’s just no nuance in the discussion. Everything is black or white, yes or no, approved or not approved. I’m so sick of it all.


Got ya. I guess my experience with this has been a little different with regard to the bold part; I find that many people just like to seek out art or entertainment that reinforces/fellates their existing beliefs rather than challenges them, like they formed some baseline opinions in their early 20s and then just said "I'm good."

But based on the names you included (Roseanne, etc), it seems like you're talking specifically about people who won't separate the art from the artist, which I am definitely guilty of. But for me, it's a case-by-case basis. I've got no problems watching a Mel Gibson flick, because I believe he's got some mental illness issues and was also raised by a Nazi -- I feel empathy for him, and find his film work more compelling because of his personal background. That's a stark contrast with Louis CK, whose humor I adore, but has taken on a much darker light given his admissions of harassment/sexual assault.

But even if I do choose to pass on a given work because I find the creator distasteful, that doesn't mean I'm just sitting around watching Adam Sandler movies all day; I'm still seeking out art that will challenge my world view, hopefully without contributing cash to someone whom I might find abhorrent.

Long-story-short, fuck anyone who is comfortable in their bubble and doesn't endeavor to venture beyond.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Joesanity and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri October 19, 2018 1:37 pm