The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8987
Location: Space City
That's really something. Sure it's not a troll?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 6:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32889
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
If it is, she's amazingly dedicated to it judging by her Twitter. I think blue checkmark accounts are just legitimately insane.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 8987
Location: Space City
Ah. I see now.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 03, 2018 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32889
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
I wonder if Durden knows her.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 5:19 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:41 am
Posts: 1387
Can anyone provide a link to a critique of Jordan Peterson that isn't overly obsessed with the trans aspect?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 04, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 3910
simple schoolboy wrote:
Can anyone provide a link to a critique of Jordan Peterson that isn't overly obsessed with the trans aspect?


Bret Weinstein (Evergreen College guy) takes down many of peterson's arguments, but it's long.


_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 469
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Can anyone provide a link to a critique of Jordan Peterson that isn't overly obsessed with the trans aspect?


Bret Weinstein (Evergreen College guy) takes down many of peterson's arguments, but it's long.


One of my favorite Rogan podcasts.

Also, here is a long but fair take on Peterson: https://areomagazine.com/2018/01/29/the-guru-appeal-of-jordan-peterson-in-our-post-everything-world/

_________________
I'll be the one in the lobby in the green fuck me shirt. The green one.


Last edited by Dscans on Sun February 11, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 469
U of Chicago alumni pledge to donate money to "empower and protect marginalized people on the South Side" for every minute Bannon speaks.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/As-Protests-Mount-U-of/242463
Here's some SWJ activism that actually makes sense. Instead of attacking the perceived oppressor, they are helping the oppressed.

_________________
I'll be the one in the lobby in the green fuck me shirt. The green one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 11, 2018 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9174
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Dscans wrote:
U of Chicago alumni pledge to donate money to "empower and protect marginalized people on the South Side" for every minute Bannon speaks.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/As-Protests-Mount-U-of/242463
Here's some SWJ activism that actually makes sense. Instead of attacking the perceived oppressor, they are helping the oppressed.


I heard about a Planned Parenthood doing a similar thing. They got people to commit to donating money based on how many protesters were out front. They would count them and post the expected donations based on protesters on a sign. Then the protesters had to decided if it was worth it to stick around b/c their presence was pumping money into Planned Parenthood.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 469
B wrote:
Dscans wrote:
U of Chicago alumni pledge to donate money to "empower and protect marginalized people on the South Side" for every minute Bannon speaks.
https://www.chronicle.com/article/As-Protests-Mount-U-of/242463
Here's some SWJ activism that actually makes sense. Instead of attacking the perceived oppressor, they are helping the oppressed.


I heard about a Planned Parenthood doing a similar thing. They got people to commit to donating money based on how many protesters were out front. They would count them and post the expected donations based on protesters on a sign. Then the protesters had to decided if it was worth it to stick around b/c their presence was pumping money into Planned Parenthood.

That's clever. A subtle attack on free speech, but passive-aggressively clever.

_________________
I'll be the one in the lobby in the green fuck me shirt. The green one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 35981
That’s not an attack on free speech.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
Life is a confusing, horrifying nightmare that only ends in death. There is no hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9174
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Yeah, those protesters are 100% free to go there and hold up whatever signs they want.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9174
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
It's a damn lot better than Christian groups that stake out strip clubs, collect license plates, and send letters to people's houses.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9174
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/plann ... e-picketer

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32889
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Dscans wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Can anyone provide a link to a critique of Jordan Peterson that isn't overly obsessed with the trans aspect?


Bret Weinstein (Evergreen College guy) takes down many of peterson's arguments, but it's long.


One of my favorite Rogan podcasts.

Also, here is a long but fair take on Peterson: https://areomagazine.com/2018/01/29/the-guru-appeal-of-jordan-peterson-in-our-post-everything-world/

the Weinsteins are great, unfortunate last name aside.



_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon February 12, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 4:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 32889
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
It's pretty exciting to hear so many "classically" liberal voices gaining huge followings despite having absolutely no support from our corrupt institutions. Hopefully social media corporations don't crush them (though they are being pressured greatly by progressives to try). Ultimately I don't think they will be able too.

They're even starting to break down barriers on television, in the rare cases they are allowed on. That Cathy Newman interview was a huge moment.

_________________
daft twat wrote:
Saw Coal Chamber 3 or 4 times by accident.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 12, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 3910
BurtReynolds wrote:
It's pretty exciting to hear so many "classically" liberal voices gaining huge followings despite having absolutely no support from our corrupt institutions. Hopefully social media corporations don't crush them (though they are being pressured greatly by progressives to try). Ultimately I don't think they will be able too.

They're even starting to break down barriers on television, in the rare cases they are allowed on. That Cathy Newman interview was a huge moment.



It is good. It's a chance for people to hear grownups have serious discussions about issues without the brain-dead right or the brainwashed left shutting down the conversation.

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 2588
Bi_3 wrote:
It's a chance for people to hear grownups have serious discussions about issues without the brain-dead right or the brainwashed left shutting down the conversation.

https://areomagazine.com/2017/08/22/a-m ... modernity/


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2018 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 469
B wrote:
Yeah, those protesters are 100% free to go there and hold up whatever signs they want.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

I'm speaking more of the intent of the donors. If their intent is to raise money for Planned Parenthood, that's great. But in this instance, their intent is to (extreme Richard Thaler voice) "nudge" the protestors into leaving. While subtle, passive, and indirect, the intent is to stop them from protesting. It's indirect enough that the donors can't be legally responsible for suppressing free speech, but I still think it's on the continuum.

_________________
I'll be the one in the lobby in the green fuck me shirt. The green one.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sat February 17, 2018 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 35981
People have the right to counter-protest. That’s also part of free speech.

_________________
BurtReynolds wrote:
Life is a confusing, horrifying nightmare that only ends in death. There is no hope.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Citizen Dick and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat July 21, 2018 5:44 am