The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 7:35 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
Didn't Chapel quit his Comedy Central show because white people were laughing at his jokes for the wrong reason? I guess straight people are laughing at his queer jokes for the right reasons.

Do you think his jokes make any kind of meaningful impact on society? Does the violence in video games and movies concern you for the impact they have on society?

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 7:44 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Do I think that popular celebrities can perpetuate a culture of mocking the LBGT community and keep those people on the edge of society where's it seems OK to harass them and discriminate against them?

Yes. I suppose I do.

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 7:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Do I think that popular celebrities can perpetuate a culture of mocking the LBGT community and keep those people on the edge of society where's it seems OK to harass them and discriminate against them?

Yes. I suppose I do.

Did you even watch it?

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 7:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Yes. I suppose I do.

Did you even watch it?

I read the jokes and listened to an interview on the radio with a queer black man who works at Netflix. Is that enough for me to have the opinion that a person who doesn't like black people being mocked probably shouldn't mock other marginalized individuals?

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 8:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Yes. I suppose I do.

Did you even watch it?

I read the jokes and listened to an interview on the radio with a queer black man who works at Netflix. Is that enough for me to have the opinion that a person who doesn't like black people being mocked probably shouldn't mock other marginalized individuals?

So that's a no. Were there specific jokes that were cited as transphobic? It's a special dedicated to a trans friend of his that was bullied into suicide by trans activists. Are you so sure he's the villain here?

Edit: and since when is Chappelle opposed to black people being mocked?

Last edited by Bi_3 on Thu October 14, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 8:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Norm was trans!?

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Can somebody tell me what Chapelle said? All the articles I looked at just said he was literally Satan without providing any context.

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:04 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The Argonaut wrote:
Norm was trans!?

He was a deeply closeted homosexual.

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:24 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Yes. I suppose I do.

Did you even watch it?

So that's a no. Were there specific jokes that were cited as transphobic? It's a special dedicated to a trans friend of his that was bullied into suicide by trans activists. Are you so sure he's the villain here?

Edit: and since when is Chappelle opposed to black people being mocked?

This is from the Atlantic, "The black pixie—played by Chappelle—wears blackface and tries to convince blacks to act in stereotypical ways. Chappelle thought the sketch was funny, the kind of thing his friends would laugh at. But at the taping, one spectator, a white man, laughed particularly loud and long. His laughter struck Chappelle as wrong, and he wondered if the new season of his show had gone from sending up stereotypes to merely reinforcing them. "When he laughed, it made me uncomfortable," says Chappelle. "As a matter of fact, that was the last thing I shot before I told myself I gotta take f______ time out after this. Because my head almost exploded.""

I don't know about Chappelle's trans friend, but I have a black friend, so I know I'm right about black people.

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Sorry, the interview I heard wasn't a Netflix employee. It was poet, Saeed Jones.

https://www.gq.com/story/chappelle-the-closer

Saeed Jones wrote:
A few beats later, Chappelle declares "We Blacks, we look at the gay community and we go “Goddamn it! Look how well that movement is going." Never mind that, in addition to being both Black and gay, I also happen to live in the state of Ohio, as does Chappelle himself, where our governor just signed a provision that will allow doctors and other medical professionals to deny healthcare to LGBTQ patients. As the activist Raquel Willis said on Twitter, “It’s convenient for Black cishet male comedians to talk about LGBTQ+ folks as if our group is only or even predominantly white. With that frame, they don’t have to contend with how Black cishet folks often enact (physical and psychological) violence on Black LGBTQ+ folks.”

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 9:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

JuanHamm wrote:
Can somebody tell me what Chapelle said? All the articles I looked at just said he was literally Satan without providing any context.

Extreme NSFW language, you have been warned:

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 10:40 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'm pretty sure every straight male comedian that has made it big has made fun of other races as well as the LGBTQ+ community at some point in one of their acts. I understand what Dave said is offensive, but is there another reason he is being singled out?

PostPosted: Thu October 14, 2021 10:55 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Holy shit, B is so unintentionally hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 12:14 am 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I'm pretty sure every straight male comedian that has made it big has made fun of other races as well as the LGBTQ+ community at some point in one of their acts. I understand what Dave said is offensive, but is there another reason he is being singled out?

Because of the story of Daphne Dorman, who the back half of the show is dedicated to. This was a trans comedienne who had befriend and worked with Dave and whom had the guts to defend him against trans activists for his last special. She was threatened and harassed and driven to suicide for doing so. So the fact that Chappelle would make that the center point, that he would throw it back in their face, is why he must be stopped. There is nothing a social justice warrior hates more than a mirror.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 12:30 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Because of the story of Daphne Dorman, who the back half of the show is dedicated to. This was a trans comedienne who had befriend and worked with Dave and whom had the guts to defend him against trans activists for his last special. She was threatened and harassed and driven to suicide for doing so. So the fact that Chappelle would make that the center point, that he would throw it back in their face, is why he must be stopped. There is nothing a social justice warrior hates more than a mirror.

I'm not sure how delegitimizing trans people addresses harassing/bullying behavior or honors his friend, but Go Chappelle, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 2:03 am 
The Master

Lots of people with opinions on chappelles comments without actually listening to them.

Chappelle rules.

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 2:29 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Yeah I watched. That's why I'm asking if there's more. In the context of the whole show I think he was making a greater point while telling jokes. But taken out of context or on a joke by joke basis I'm sure they come across as insensitive to some people

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 2:49 am 
The Master

i'm just not sure working this out through his act is the best path forward

PostPosted: Fri October 15, 2021 2:53 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I'm not sure how delegitimizing trans people addresses harassing/bullying behavior or honors his friend, but Go Chappelle, I guess.

What exactly does "delegitimizing" mean?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate