The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 9:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
It's just fucking corporations reacting to a major cultural change event in the silliest, most clueless way possible. Why on earth does that surprise anybody?

Therein lies our disconnect. Is this a major cultural change or is it a group of bullies who have found a platform to de-platform?

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2021/3/ ... republican

Quote:
On the left, liberalism is under siege by a new, illiberal orthodoxy that has taken root all around, including in the very institutions meant to uphold the liberal order. And cancellation is this ideology’s most effective weapon. It uses cancellation the way ancient societies used witch burnings: to strike fear into the hearts of everyone watching. The point is the assertion of power. By showing the rest of us that we could be next, it compels us to conform and obey, either by remaining silent, or, perhaps, offering up our own kindling.

Maybe you are among this self-silencing majority. There is a good chance that you are if the biologist Bret Weinstein is right when he observes that the population is composed of four groups: the few who actually hunt witches, a large group that goes along and a larger group that remains silent. There’s also a tiny group that opposes the hunt. And that “final group — as if by magic — become witches.”

So in this case it's not about Dr.Seuss in particular, it's about sending notice that no one is beyond reproach, even the estate of the highest earning dead celebrity besides Michael Jackson. Even the Fortune 100 companies that carry those works. And when you ask about what has been done to the estate in particular, that's the wrong question... the question is always motive... why did the estate act at this moment? Sudden enlightenment? Or did they recognize that tithing (i.e. kindling) will buy them a period of forgiveness and maybe if they say enough hail-marys they can keep the big money makers on the shelf?

Misc other links:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... el-culture
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... to-freedom
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lture.html

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 9:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
It's just fucking corporations reacting to a major cultural change event in the silliest, most clueless way possible. Why on earth does that surprise anybody?

Therein lies our disconnect. Is this a major cultural change or is it a group of bullies who have found a platform to de-platform?

Hey man just gonna help out on this one, it's a cultural change. Dunno if you've noticed but sambos are not really culturally acceptable anymore.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 9:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

That's what I'm asking you to demonstrate.

When I ask...
Quote:
where in this is the demonstration of risk to the estate of the highest earning dead celebrity besides Michael Jackson?

...I am asking you to present evidence that Dr Seuss books are out of print as a result of actions taken by a group of de-platforming bullies. Not for a Barry Weiss article opining on "cancel culture" in general and quoting people she knows personally. Demonstrate for me that the Dr Seuss estate made this decision under any amount of intimidation or threat of personal loss.

Quote:
So in this case it's not about Dr.Seuss in particular, it's about sending notice that no one is beyond reproach

What notice? Where? From whom?

Quote:
And when you ask about what has been done to the estate in particular, that's the wrong question... the question is always motive... why did the estate act at this moment? Sudden enlightenment? Or did they recognize that tithing (i.e. kindling) will buy them a period of forgiveness and maybe if they say enough hail-marys they can keep the big money makers on the shelf?

This paragraph describes a company making a change in response to a cultural moment that it doesn't understand, in a vacuum of pressure and independent of anybody actually targeting them. Even when dramatically assuming that they acted out of fear, you're not actually making an effort to demonstrate the validity of that fear.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Okay but what if the boogeyman is real tho

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What evidence could I possibly produce that would be sufficient to meet this standard? Tell me the name of the movie you want to see.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

And again, the Dr Seuss estate was not bullied. They don’t need to be, they will act preemptively out of fear

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's a brilliant rhetorical move to set up that "fear" and "desire to make money by catering to prevailing attitudes" are impossible to distinguish.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
And again, the Dr Seuss estate was not bullied. They don’t need to be, they will act preemptively out of fear

So they made this consequential decision without experiencing any direct threat of loss from a woke mob. They made it absent any demonstrable outside pressure and while also enjoying abnormally elevated sales figures. Because they were afraid.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:58 pm 
Future Drummer

The problem I’ve always found with BI_3’s argument is that to believe it, you must believe that the lefty liberal “woke” activists have immense power and influence. I don’t deny many of them engage in bully-ish behavior, but to suggest powerful corporations are bending the knee to woke activists seems wrong. If they had real power we wouldn’t be talking about Dr. Seuss and Potato head (x).

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
It's a brilliant rhetorical move to set up that "fear" and "desire to make money by catering to prevailing attitudes" are impossible to distinguish.

And why it’s important to not try and focus on a specific piece of data when talking about cultural trends. No single snowless winter is attributable to climate change, but a series of them can be, meaning the context the data point is crucial.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:10 pm 
Polluted

Looks like we lost the war on christmas, boys.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rob wrote:
The problem I’ve always found with BI_3’s argument is that to believe it, you must believe that the lefty liberal “woke” activists have immense power and influence. I don’t deny many of them engage in bully-ish behavior, but to suggest powerful corporations are bending the knee to woke activists seems wrong. If they had real power we wouldn’t be talking about Dr. Seuss and Potato head (x).

It depends on the game. If you want condition someone to a lifelong belief, you start when they are young. So how do we do that?

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

And why it’s important to not try and focus on a specific piece of data when talking about cultural trends. No single snowless winter is attributable to climate change, but a series of them can be, meaning the context the data point is crucial.

Yeah dude because the context we have is the historical data that the climate is warming. Do you have historical data that businesses are now operating out of "fear" of a small but angry mob, rather than, again, making a business decision to fit with prevailing attitudes? Or are you just seeing isolated reports of colder winters and reverse-engineering a cause?

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:37 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Oh good it's Fredo Friday.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Rob wrote:
If they had real power we wouldn’t be talking about Dr. Seuss and Potato head (x).

It depends on the game. If you want condition someone to a lifelong belief, you start when they are young. So how do we do that?

So now you DO think the Dr Seuss estate was targeted? To further an agenda based primarily on boiling frog psychology? In the name of a plan that involves waiting twenty years for today's kids to grow up?

Quote:
The “woke” activists have immense power and influence because the “woke” activists are the powerful corporations. The elites aren't reacting to woke mob bullying or attempting to profit off of organically changing culture. They are instigating the cultural shift themselves, in a way that benefits them.

Corporations are enacting a coordinated scheme? Meant to create a culture where they are under constant intimidation pressure to bend to the will of society? What sinister future does Hasbro desire here? What Megatron-level world domination scheme starts with Potato Head?

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:53 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

oh it's those darn elites again

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:56 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:56 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 12:05 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate