The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun June 09, 2019 11:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/women-of-color-call-out-dictionarycoms-offensive-definition-black-000906372.html

I guess this is ok. I dunno. Probably not. But maybe.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 6:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

There's like three different threads this could have gone into.

and is it weird that Alex Jones is know for gay frogs and Pepe at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 6:29 pm 
The Master

Remember that one time when he talked about how he once literally fucked a frog?

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 6:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

wow. OK. I guess that's something I know now. Thanks?

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 6:47 pm 
The Master

I think maybe the frog raped him

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 8:23 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Well duh, it was a gay frog.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 8:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

This is all new information for me and is a lot to process at one time.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2019 10:00 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 16, 2019 1:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Good. Institutions that encourage uncritical reactionary bullshit like this should be punished.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/14/us/oberlin-bakery-lawsuit.html

PostPosted: Sun June 16, 2019 1:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

Do stores really still chase and detain shoplifters?

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2019 12:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
Do stores really still chase and detain shoplifters?

The Atlantic goes into that a bit:

Quote:
After that initial round of protests, Oberlin caved to student demands to cancel all its business with the bakery. Later, an Oberlin Police Department investigation, undertaken to probe accusations of racist behavior at the bakery, found that among 40 adults arrested for shoplifting at the business in a five-year period, six were black, suggesting vigilant enforcement against people of all races.

The lawsuit goes on to allege that when David Gibson sat down with administrators to tell them about the devastating effect that defamation, boycotts, demonstrations, and refusal to do business with Gibson’s were having on his family’s store, Oberlin administrators sought to negotiate special treatment for shoplifting students in exchange for resuming relations with the bakery.

The complaint described the meeting as follows:

Gibson requested that Oberlin College immediately retract the defamatory statements and reinstate its contracts … Defendants represented that they would consider reinstating business … but only if Gibson’s Bakery would agree that “Gibson’s would not push criminal charges against first-time shoplifters” … Gibson’s Bakery already loses thousands of dollars a year due to stolen merchandise, and such losses would certainly multiply if students learned they could steal without repercussion.

Time would only further undermine the proposition that the Oberlin students were innocents victimized by a racist local business. While pleading guilty to misdemeanor theft charges in August 2017, each of the students would declare in an official statement, “I believe the employees of Gibson’s actions were not racially motivated. They were merely trying to prevent an underage sale.”

And yet, the Gibsons’ lawsuit alleged, Oberlin students giving campus tours on behalf of the college advised prospective and future students and their families not to shop at Gibson’s Bakery because it was “racist” and “assaults students.” Various hits to the business ultimately caused it to lay off multiple employees, adding to the social injustice done by the misguided student activists and the Oberlin faculty and administrators who abetted their harmful efforts.

That is not to say that everyone at Oberlin was of like mind.

Almost a year after the incident, Roger Copeland, a professor emeritus of theater and dance, wrote a letter to the student newspaper lamenting, “It is now abundantly clear that the College’s boycott of Gibson’s was disingenuous and utterly unwarranted.” He criticized then–Oberlin President Marvin Krislov and Raimondo for a “rush to judgment” and actions that amounted “to a staggering, potentially bankrupting loss” to a small family business, and concluded with this biting critique:

The facts of this case are no longer in question. And yet, a counter-narrative has taken hold, one that refuses to allow mere “facts” to get in the way. It’s embarrassing when one has to ask Oberlin students the same question one asks climate-change deniers: At what point do you accept the empirical evidence, even if that means having to embrace an “inconvenient” truth? Alas, even those who concede that the defendants violated the law, continue—stubbornly—to insist that there is “plenty of blame to go around” and that “both sides” are at fault. Really? Isn’t that what Donald Trump said about Charlottesville?

The time has come for the Dean of Students, on behalf of the College, to apologize to the Gibson family for damaging not only their livelihood but something more precious and difficult to restore—their reputation and good standing in the community.

At trial, Raimondo [Dean of Students] was revealed to have sent a text reacting to Copeland’s letter that said, “Fuck him. I’d say unleash the students if I wasn’t convinced this needs to be put behind us.” To me, the metaphor suggests administrators who calculatingly wield some control over whether students activists are aggressive or restrained.

The bolded quote above is an excellent example of why the social justice movement in the US is sick in the head.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2019 3:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't even remotely give a shit about this or any other boogeyman in the new campus free speech panic, but this feels important to point out:

Quote:
While pleading guilty to misdemeanor theft charges in August 2017, each of the students would declare in an official statement, “I believe the employees of Gibson’s actions were not racially motivated. They were merely trying to prevent an underage sale.”

It is quite common for a defendant to admit guilt, in the precisely the words the prosecutor wants them to, as part of a plea deal. Using this boilerplate language provided by the state as evidence that the students recanted entirely is bad, sloppy reporting.

PostPosted: Sat June 22, 2019 11:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Jesus f-ing Christ.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5988j3/brother-nature-racist-tweets-deer-twitter-celebrity-kelvin-pena-vgtrn

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 10:46 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 11:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

What the actual fuck. When did an alien take over the NBA?

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2019 11:06 pm 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2019 12:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

:haha:

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2019 4:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I think they should just get rid of owners

PostPosted: Tue June 25, 2019 9:55 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Mickey wrote:
I think they should just get rid of owners

PostPosted: Fri July 05, 2019 11:30 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Surprised Burt hasn't posted anything about Andy Ngo yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate