The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 12:33 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Sure, the connotation and the denotation are both changed.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 12:34 am 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
A little context helps.

Weinstein has been an increasingly polarizing figure there, as he has previously opposed other race-related efforts (including efforts to diversify the faculty) and ran to Tucker Carlson and other hard right media to "plead" his case / put the university down. Regardless of the merits of the effort, the perception there is that he likes to publicize himself at the U's expense (it doesn't help that he didn't pitch this fit in earlier years, when it was people of color who were staying away from campus for a day).

It doesn't surprise me that the NYT locked into the Breitbart version of this...but it does disappoint.

This context does not, in fact, help.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 1:09 am 
The Master

bart wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
A little context helps.

Weinstein has been an increasingly polarizing figure there, as he has previously opposed other race-related efforts (including efforts to diversify the faculty) and ran to Tucker Carlson and other hard right media to "plead" his case / put the university down. Regardless of the merits of the effort, the perception there is that he likes to publicize himself at the U's expense (it doesn't help that he didn't pitch this fit in earlier years, when it was people of color who were staying away from campus for a day).

It doesn't surprise me that the NYT locked into the Breitbart version of this...but it does disappoint.

This context does not, in fact, help.

I attended Hampshire College, the "sister school" of Evergreen; and once dated an Evergreen student when we lived in Olympia together, and have spent a lot of time on that campus...

To me, the only story here is the the President and Trustees/higher administration didn't better defend the professor or lead a more constructive conversation. But if a hyper-progressive college campus can't serve as a venue for experimentation with all kinds of world views, then what good are they for? The Evergreen campus is basically a bubble, both philosophically and geographically, and should operate as an entirely safe space for late teens and early 20-somethings to try their hand at any sort of lifestyle, creative undertaking, or political dalliance that interests them on a given day, without fear of their mistakes -- as long as they're not criminal -- following them into the real world, post-graduation.

This entire event -- the Day Without Whites, the prof's position taken, the (non-criminal) responses by the students -- should fall under the safe space mentality traditionally found on these sorts of campuses, and should serve as learning lessons for the students, to be guided (but not dictated) by the faculty and administration. So unless the article has left something important out, I'd say the college president came up especially short on this one, and everyone else more or less played their role just fine, minus the graffiti punks.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 1:58 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 2:54 pm 
RM Elitist

Here's an addition Op-Ed on the Evergreen stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/opin ... pe=article

Regardless of the circumstances at Evergreen I think the NYT article does kind of hit on why race/minority relations are having such a hard time progressing at all. There is a small extreme mindset on either side that is able to shut down any DISCUSSION of race/minority issues as being inherently racist.

The word "racist" or "bigot" is the end of any conversation, not the beginning of one.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 8:36 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
A little context helps.

i liked you better when you weren't carrying water for middlebrow shitliberalism tbh

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 8:38 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 9:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

--- wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
A little context helps.

i liked you better when you weren't carrying water for middlebrow shitliberalism tbh

That's fine. My point wasn't that the response has been reasonable...it's been absurd...just that this is sort of a culmination of a fairly long-brewing conflict between a campus and a professor, and not effectively capturing that is clickbaity reporting. Even the article's title, "when the left turns on its own," is misrepresentative and Drudge-like. The op-ed piece Skitch posted was a lot better.

Maybe I didn't express it well, but my irritation was aimed at the reporting. The Times has been showing a lot of cracks lately, and it bothers me.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 9:11 pm 
The Master

Yes, the Times has been sucking pretty bad for a few years. Their investigative reporting is still top-notch, but far too much of their real estate has become devoted to, well, expensive real estate, identity politics, and art & culture trends.

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2017 9:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
Yes, the Times has been sucking pretty bad for a few years. Their investigative reporting is still top-notch, but far too much of their real estate has become devoted to, well, expensive real estate, identity politics, and art & culture trends.

Articulated it better than I.

PostPosted: Mon June 05, 2017 4:20 am 

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2017 9:29 pm 
Future Drummer

The reply piece raised a lot of really interesting points, and in a way I actually agree with the professor when he says that history is being made. We'll look back at right now as a breaking point for a lot of issues. There is a huge fatigue in America about race, almost like nobody understands why it's still such a problem. At this point it's like the ten boxes of bullshit at the end of a move, and everybody's tired, so the conversation becomes "why is this still here?!?" and "it has nothing to do with me" more than anything else that's actually useful. Call-in culture and empathetic discussion is one of the only useful and proven ways of changing things, but it's also incredibly difficult to do, and we live in a horrible climate for it. Hooray!

Hopefully if we ever meet aliens we can avoid the part where we do horrible things to each other and then build a nation together while it festers for centuries.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2017 10:06 pm 

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:30 pm 
The Master

Isn't "non-black POC" a wildly dismissive, broad, and racist term? How is that okay?

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:40 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It refers to people of color who are not black. It is super straightforward and I don't see why the term itself would be objectionable

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:41 pm 
The Master

I understand it means that. It doesn't seem weird to you to group all of those races together as one thing?

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:50 pm 
The Master

Team LV. Why has society agreed to lump all the various asians, Indians, and first Native American people into one big group?

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:55 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I understand it means that. It doesn't seem weird to you to group all of those races together as one thing?

Beyond the odd unhinged tweet, I haven't really seen it used in a way where it's trying to say something about those races ("NBPOC are this or that"); rather, it's been a way for black authors to attempt to elaborate on specific racial issues that are unique to/especially prevalent in the black experience. Sort of in the same way that "racism" and "anti-blackness" are not the exact same thing.

tragabigzanda wrote:
Why has society agreed to lump all the various asians, Indians, and first Native American people into one big group?

It really hasn't though. That term isn't even that popular

Last edited by Jorge on Sat June 17, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 9:59 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Beyond the odd unhinged tweet, I haven't really seen it used in a way where it's trying to say something about those races ("NBPOC are this or that"); rather, it's been a way for black authors to attempt to elaborate on specific racial issues that are unique to/especially prevalent in the black experience. Sort of in the same way that "racism" and "anti-blackness" are not the exact same thing.

I get this too. I just think it creates a really weird categorization. It implicitly winds up grouping people into only three possible categories: black, white, or non-black POC. Even if it isn't intended to be so, it comes off very reductive and condescending.

PostPosted: Sat June 17, 2017 10:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I get this too. I just think it creates a really weird categorization. It implicitly winds up grouping people into only three possible categories: black, white, or non-black POC. Even if it isn't intended to be so, it comes very reductive and condescending.

I can understand that. I haven't really encountered this usage of it or interpreted it in that way

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate