The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 06, 2022 10:29 pm 
mXn

Bi_3 wrote:
Not all heroes wear capes.

Lol I heard those orange-vesters referred to as “twig boys” … accurate.

PostPosted: Thu January 26, 2023 11:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 1:10 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

That's a 30 year old concept. The only people mad about that are the people still steaming over their loss of the noun "retard."

Now, please allow me to beat you at your own game.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/b ... 234655163/

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 1:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:
That's a 30 year old concept. The only people mad about that are the people still steaming over their loss of the noun "retard."

Now, please allow me to beat you at your own game.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/b ... 234655163/

Well, the actual French Embassy wasn't publicly mocking it back then.

Edit, lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 6:11 pm 
Future Drummer

At some point I think you would just have to shrug and use those "offending" words. They literally describe groups of people in those conditions.

If doing an objective article, using those words wouldn't be dehumanizing, would it?

"John Doe, a college-educated man from Wisconsin, sympathizes with those trying to get into college nowadays, with the skyrocketing cost of tuition."

Is that bad?

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 6:18 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

To the AP, saying "a college-educated man" is different than saying "the college-educated". To the AP, using "the" in that way is de-humanizing because it paints with a broad brush and implies that everyone who is college-educated thinks the same way.

"A lot of French people love baguettes" is a fair statement.

"The French love baguettes" is not, because there are thousands of French people with weak teeth or wheat allergies who don't love baguettes

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 6:21 pm 
Future Drummer

The Argonaut wrote:
To the AP, saying "a college-educated man" is different than saying "the college-educated". To the AP, using "the" in that way is de-humanizing because it paints with a broad brush and implies that everyone who is college-educated thinks the same way.

"The French love baguettes" is not, because there are thousands of French people with weak teeth or wheat allergies who don't love baguettes

Ok, that makes more sense. It still seems silly.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 6:25 pm 

It's silly for sure. I can see some cases where it could be considered offensive. But in most cases it is at worst imprecise

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 6:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

The Argonaut.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 7:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

blueviper wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Ok, that makes more sense. It still seems silly.

I don't get it. It's a stated attribute correlation not intended to be universal.

Would any reader really assume "The French love baguettes" is intended to be an accurate description of the preferences of every individual that would identify as French? Like if someone where to write "The Americans love their guns", that does not mean every individual in the country loves guns. Or "The Black community suffers excessive policing" does not mean every individual Black person suffers that.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 7:54 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

At least one of their examples were "the poor" which would feel considerably more dehumanizing than "the French."

No one who is poor wants that to be their defining title, so you'd call them a person, modified by the condition you're addressing, "people who are poor."

It's the same way I was taught to refer to people with disabilities 30 years ago, using "person with a disability" instead of "disabled person," so you lead with the humanizing word and then modify it if necessary. If that's really liberalism eating away at your freedom, well ... I'm sorry?

I'd check more examples, but I don't think the tweet is there anymore.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 8:18 pm 

I don't think that's quite it, B. I think it's the imprecise, generalizing language. It's kind of an asinine style note, but the AP framed it as avoiding "de-humanizing" language so it was read as SJW-y and fairly mocked

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 10:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

OK.

PostPosted: Sat January 28, 2023 5:14 am 
mXn

Many of the French love baguettes.

PostPosted: Sat January 28, 2023 10:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The W's knocked it out of the park on this one:

PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2023 5:11 am 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
NPR: MYTH #4: Asian Americans are fairly represented (in US government)

This "myth" doesn't even exist. It's just a straw man. This isn't even good propaganda. It's like they're trying to make their argument seem dumb.

So, AAPIs aren't fairly represented in government, and no one thinks they are, so NPR is the bad guy b/c they said that some people think they are and then dispelled that?

What?

You and me both, brother. What does this have to do with median household income?

THAT part I understand. Economic attainment measures, like median household income, are a proxy for success in the marketplace. If the Asian cohort, whatever that is, has high achievement in that area then it means they are successfully competing in the market. If your foundational principle is that the market is rigged so only white people succeed, then Asian success presents quite the conundrum because it allows white people to point to Asians and say "see, you are obviously wrong. they are doing great, often better than we are. The system is not rigged. Follow the Asian 'model' and we don't need to tear down the system". So rather dealing with that reality, what we are seeing here is someone attempting to problematize Asian American success.

im reading your james lindsay laden bullshit to wind myself up, and what i want to hear from you is why it's a good thing that 10 percent of the population in the us has close to 70 percent of the wealth ? and your account of why that distribution of wealth occurs at the rate it does here, but not in other countries

PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2023 5:18 am 
Future Drummer

and if it's some transhistorical bullshit about the essential character of human beings, you can ignore my request. because with reactionaries, doesn't it always boil down to how people are shit

PostPosted: Sun February 12, 2023 5:29 am 
Future Drummer

do guys like you have a theory of how power works in society? is that something you're interested in?

PostPosted: Mon February 13, 2023 11:51 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Hi friend.

PostPosted: Fri February 17, 2023 4:29 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Might be signaling a change in relationship between our institutions and wokeness. Or at least, that's what some are hoping. I've noticed a similar shift at the corps I work with.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate