The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Sun April 22, 2018 10:39 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon April 23, 2018 11:22 am 
Looks Like a Cat

That Sam Harris / Ezra Klein debate over Charles Murray was a f**king train-wreck.

PostPosted: Wed April 25, 2018 6:22 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 26, 2018 11:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers... and all of a sudden, nobody can think of anything to say.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/theyby-gender-neutral-child-parents-raise-couple-kyl-myers-zoomer-a8286876.html

PostPosted: Fri April 27, 2018 11:19 pm 

PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:18 am 
The Master

I get what they're driving at, but "ethically inappropriate" seems like a huge, subjective leap.

PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:37 am 

PostPosted: Sat April 28, 2018 12:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

note to scientist: ex-utero baby wants mommy as primary caretaker, because baby lived inside mommy

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Yet another Burt post that led me straight to Urban Dictionary.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 am 
The Master

I think the liberal backlash to the Roseanne reboot - almost entirely made up of people who clearly never cared about the original series and haven’t actually watched any of the new episodes - is just about the last straw for me. I am so beyond tired of this shit. The left has swallowed itself. There is nothing left to believe in.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 am 
10Club Complaint Department

These people are all clearly insane.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 am 
The Master

I’m just so tired.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:13 am 
The Master

The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I think the liberal backlash to the Roseanne reboot - almost entirely made up of people who clearly never cared about the original series and haven’t actually watched any of the new episodes - is just about the last straw for me. I am so beyond tired of this shit. The left has swallowed itself. There is nothing left to believe in.

I haven't seen it, but she's a Trump fan, right? Seems appropriate for that character.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
There is nothing LEFT to believe in.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:59 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The politicization of art by ignorant, self-righteous leftists who don’t actually care about it is what really makes me lose my mind. They trivialize and dismiss art to a nauseating degree, oblivious to what it could mean to anyone else. I just can’t.

Can you provide some examples? I see it coming from both sides (the right's response to Michelle Wolfe, for instance), can't pinpoint anything in the recent past that has reflected especially poorly on the left (any worse than the right, that is).

Also, the left/right schism is a philosophical dinosaur and I wish it would hurry up and gasp its last breath.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:03 pm 
The Master

B wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I haven't seen it, but she's a Trump fan, right? Seems appropriate for that character.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Can you provide some examples? I see it coming from both sides (the right's response to Michelle Wolfe, for instance), can't pinpoint anything in the recent past that has reflected especially poorly on the left (any worse than the right, that is).

Also, the left/right schism is a philosophical dinosaur and I wish it would hurry up and gasp its last breath.

It’s just this constant trivializing of art as something disposable and replaceable, whether it’s Roseanne or Kanye or Mel Gibson or Roman Polanski or Woody Allen or whoever. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some version of “There’s plenty of great art made by good people, so you don’t need this art.” As if there’s some kind of non-problematic artistic analogue for any of these people. No, art doesn’t work that way, and you can’t just tell someone else how much any artist or work of art does or doesn’t mean to them. There’s just no nuance in the discussion. Everything is black or white, yes or no, approved or not approved. I’m so sick of it all.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:53 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

It’s just this constant trivializing of art as something disposable and replaceable, whether it’s Roseanne or Kanye or Mel Gibson or Roman Polanski or Woody Allen or whoever. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard some version of “There’s plenty of great art made by good people, so you don’t need this art.” As if there’s some kind of non-problematic artistic analogue for any of these people. No, art doesn’t work that way, and you can’t just tell someone else how much any artist or work of art does or doesn’t mean to them. There’s just no nuance in the discussion. Everything is black or white, yes or no, approved or not approved. I’m so sick of it all.

Got ya. I guess my experience with this has been a little different with regard to the bold part; I find that many people just like to seek out art or entertainment that reinforces/fellates their existing beliefs rather than challenges them, like they formed some baseline opinions in their early 20s and then just said "I'm good."

But based on the names you included (Roseanne, etc), it seems like you're talking specifically about people who won't separate the art from the artist, which I am definitely guilty of. But for me, it's a case-by-case basis. I've got no problems watching a Mel Gibson flick, because I believe he's got some mental illness issues and was also raised by a Nazi -- I feel empathy for him, and find his film work more compelling because of his personal background. That's a stark contrast with Louis CK, whose humor I adore, but has taken on a much darker light given his admissions of harassment/sexual assault.

But even if I do choose to pass on a given work because I find the creator distasteful, that doesn't mean I'm just sitting around watching Adam Sandler movies all day; I'm still seeking out art that will challenge my world view, hopefully without contributing cash to someone whom I might find abhorrent.

Long-story-short, fuck anyone who is comfortable in their bubble and doesn't endeavor to venture beyond.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate