The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 3:56 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:

Let's say the CDC is appropriate agency and scope it done to just equity. What exactly would they do to create equitable outcomes under these emergency powers?

I assume this is what they are trying to find out? It's a directive to find/develop solutions. You guys are panning this before they've even had a chance to try. Even if they were able to make some modest improvements, wouldn't that be worth it? Maybe they come back in a year with stupid ideas, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 4:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

They tried to address equity in vaccine distribution through special access codes that they sent out to community groups, but its not clear whether that improved access for disadvanted groups or if whitey was more effective at sharing those codes.

I'm curious who generated and distributed those codes because it was pretty opaque.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

simple schoolboy wrote:
They tried to address equity in vaccine distribution through special access codes that they sent out to community groups, but its not clear whether that improved access for disadvanted groups or if whitey was more effective at sharing those codes.

I'm curious who generated and distributed those codes because it was pretty opaque.

That was more statistical triage, right? They were attempting to reduce disparities in death rates by denying vaccine access to (and thus increasing the death rate in) predominantly white zip codes.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Rob wrote:
Are you guys saying the CDC shouldn't try to develop a strategy to address racial gaps in health outcomes? Should any agency? Did they say they will end racism or did they point out it's also a health issue, and they - as a health focused agency - want to try to do something about it?

Basically, did you guys waste half a page virtue signaling to each other, or did I miss something?

Oh come on dude, it's way more than half a page.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

That was more statistical triage, right? They were attempting to reduce disparities in death rates by denying vaccine access to (and thus increasing the death rate in) predominantly white zip codes.

My experience in NC has been that when affluent communities couldn't get vaccines, they scheduled appointments in poorer communities and took their vaccine. People in the poor communities never stood a chance b/c they can't sit on hold for 4 hours waiting for an appointment.

And apparently, we're doing better than most states at addressing disparities in vaccine distribution.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:45 pm 
Gone

I don't see the point in worrying social vaccine justice when in a month or two supply will far exceed demand

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 5:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
I don't see the point in worrying social vaccine justice when in a month or two supply will far exceed demand

That's 30,000 - 60,000 dead Americans.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:04 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bi_3 wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

That may have been done as well, but there were non-unique codes that were shared by word of mouth that opened up apppointment slots that were otherwise blocked off. I know someone who was eligible that had no appointments available until they used the code. It seemed like 80%+ of appointments were earmarked for those with an access code.

If you were in a tier that otherwise was inelligible, those codes allowed you to schedule an appointment.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Let's say the CDC is appropriate agency and scope it done to just equity. What exactly would they do to create equitable outcomes under these emergency powers?

I assume this is what they are trying to find out? It's a directive to find/develop solutions. You guys are panning this before they've even had a chance to try. Even if they were able to make some modest improvements, wouldn't that be worth it? Maybe they come back in a year with stupid ideas, who knows.

The CDC already had to walk back their proposal to distribute vaccines "equitably" that was expected to increase the overall death rate. Not super excited about what they come out with next.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:13 pm 
Gone

simple schoolboy wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

The CDC already had to walk back their proposal to distribute vaccines "equitably" that was expected to increase the overall death rate. Not super excited about what they come out with next.

Recurring thoughts of impending doom?

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:16 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

Way darker than the general population.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:17 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

That North Carolina sun really works it's magic!

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

verb_to_trust wrote:

Depends on how you view those efforts. If you see their failure as being treated like a beta test for future 'equitable resource allocation' planning, then it's fair to be concerned.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 6:40 pm 
Future Drummer

Bi_3 wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Depends on how you view those efforts. If you see their failure as being treated like a beta test for future 'equitable resource allocation' planning, then it's fair to be concerned.

I don't think I've ever hurled "white privilege" at anyone; it's not good to use that as a weapon, imo, but verb's comment did remind me of it (it's also the attitude I've taken for my own white ass, since I really don't want to spend an hour on hold right now). :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 7:52 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

This reads like you wanted to say something racist, realized that you shouldn't, but you'd already hit reply, so you posted something incoherent instead.

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 9:22 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

This reads like you wanted to say something racist, realized that you shouldn't, but you'd already hit reply, so you posted something incoherent instead.

Not everyone views 100 percent of the things they encounter in life through the prism of race, B

PostPosted: Mon April 12, 2021 10:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Yes, but what color?

Not everyone views 100 percent of the things they encounter in life through the prism of race, B

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue April 13, 2021 7:05 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 14, 2021 12:43 am 
Poster of the Year

lol imagine lashing out at a style guide

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate