The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anti-Trump fascists attack in Berkeley
PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:15 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Lot of good wholesome rioting fun was had today.

Pepsi was also the drink of choice at the Haymarket affair

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
96583UP wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
new Trump rally scheduled in April at Berkeley. Somebody will probably die at this one.

pshhh, you were way off...

yeah I'm pretty disappointed. Watching that one commie chick get decked by the nazi was pretty funny though.

link plz!

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:25 am 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

that video gives me a serious bloodlust boner

the tranny in the purple shirt from the van halen cover band really amplifies the intensity

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

just cant stop watching that punch in slo-mo

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 2:39 am 

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 11:13 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Yeah neo-nazis punching women in the face in 2017, in the fucking country that went to war with the actual nazis in WWII, fucking hilarious stuff.

Get fucked, cunts.

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 11:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sun April 16, 2017 11:31 pm 

PostPosted: Thu April 20, 2017 10:00 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Conor Freidersdorf in The Atlantic is the man to read if you're into this issue. He's been writing about it a lot recently, and IMO he's right about this issue all way around.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... er/523668/

UC Berkeley Declares Itself Unsafe for Ann Coulter
By allowing threats of violence to cancel a speech from the longtime right-wing provocateur, the university gave her the attention she craves, while threatening the free speech it was once renowned for defending.

CONOR FRIEDERSDORF 8:08 AM ET POLITICS

On Wednesday, the University of California, Berkeley, announced that it was canceling a scheduled speech by Ann Coulter, citing security concerns. Just weeks ago, Berkeley cancelled a speech by Milo Yiannopolous after armed radicals clad in black overwhelmed event security, threw Molotov cocktails in the street, and smashed windows at the campus student union. That was “not a proud night for this campus, the home of the free speech movement,” a UC Berkeley spokesperson said, while the Los Angeles Times editorialized that the success of the violence “should make supporters of free speech shiver.”

And this week’s news bolsters that assessment.

When violence successfully stopped the Yiannopolous event, an incentive was created for threats of future violence and for violence itself. Thus, the clash in Berkeley two days ago between Trump supporters and leftists that Mother Jones’s Shane Bauer characterized as follows: “Militias, alt-right, nazis etc won today in Berkeley. They outnumbered the opposition, pushed it back, and held downtown.” That a second speech is now postponed due to more threats of violence from the far left compounds the problem. Berkeley, a public institution, is compelled by both the Constitution and California law to protect free speech, even if campus Republicans there continue to degrade themselves by abetting or being fooled by nihilistic performance artists—and even if campus leftists invite the most odious of their fellow travelers.

Now, rather than giving campus Republicans the booby prize of having to sit through an Ann Coulter speech, an experience more likely to evoke shame than pride as they age and mature into adults, her critics achieved the booby prize of postponing it.

That outcome is awful for Coulter detractors.

This ought to be a challenging time for the right-wing polemicist, who only recently found herself in much the same position as Madonna: Both provocateurs exploited cultural boundaries, stoking outrage to give their work reach beyond their talent, and profited—only to wane in relevance as their industries became crowded with imitators. Then Donald Trump got into politics. He was unsurpassed in his willingness to state odious beliefs, and really, truly the best at stoking ethnic tensions to benefit himself. Coulter couldn’t beat him in the attention economy—he was maximally shameless, denying her a key advantage she has over many rivals. Nor would she oppose a coalition that included so many of her fans. But she could join him, being one of those rare sorts who is willing to stoke humanity’s darkest impulses.

After the September 11 terrorist attacks, when people with good character spoke more responsibly, Coulter said, “We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians.”

In 2016, she published In Trump We Trust, adding sycophancy to the mercenary indignities to which she has subjected herself, staking her credibility (among the narrow slice of the ideological spectrum where she had any left) on a known huckster.

Right-wing entertainers excel at getting rich as they lead their base astray.

Today, as Trump and his circle continue to suck up most of the outrage oxygen in America—meanwhile making fools of their populist supporters by betraying them at many turns—Coulter ought to enjoy no more relevance than she has respect or esteem, her work read mostly among authoritarian AARP members as their younger analogs gravitate toward Yiannopoulos, a hateful Lady Gaga to her bigoted Madonna. In fairness, Madonna never responded to Gaga’s success by donning a meat dress of her own, whereas Coulter watched a violent mob elevate Milo by preventing him from speaking at Berkeley, then proceeded to follow the character she helped create.

Her critics would have done well to deny her attention by treating her scheduled appearance with the ambivalent yawn every provocateur most dreads. Instead, they began playing into her hands, situating her appearance in a paradigm where free speech is cast as being in conflict with anti-racism—a wrongheaded frame anathema to civil-rights heroes and marginalized protesters the world over. It guarantees either that bigots like Coulter will be seen by many as occupying a moral high ground, or that free speech will suffer, hitting marginalized groups hardest in the end.

Issuing violent threats was, for the left, the most counterproductive of all courses. It generated just the sort of attention Coulter thrives on. And it is remaking Berkeley into a place where the illiberal right can reliably bait the illiberal left into raising their profile.

UC Berkeley’s response threatens to do even more damage than those making threats, all but guaranteeing that the Heckler’s Veto is attempted more often going forward.

As the New York Times put it:

The University of California, Berkeley, on Wednesday canceled a scheduled speech by the conservative author Ann Coulter, in the latest blow to the institution’s legacy and reputation as a promoter and bastion of free speech...
Think of it. “Coulter said the university insisted that her speech take place in the middle of the day, that only students could attend and that the exact venue wouldn’t be announced until the last minute,” the Washington Post reported. “She said that she agreed with the conditions but that that apparently wasn’t good enough.”

Berkeley is the flagship public university in a state with the seventh largest economy in the world. It employs an entire state police force that reports to its leaders. It is situated beside a major city that protects one of America’s most important ports. Given notice, is it really unable to secure a polemicist’s speech against violence? Its ongoing failures to do so threaten anyone who runs afoul of any mob.

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 4:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

UC Berkeley has reversed course and allowed a talk by Coulter in early May.

The police tactics seen here at previous events and in San Jose and Sacramento are a bit baffling. Letting the event attendees and counter protesters fight it out seems to be a bad idea.

The hands off approach for 'normal' one-sided protests like BLM, Occupy and the like make sense in the case where there aren't violent counterprotestors.

If there are already throw down fights going on in the crowd, its hard to understand how police involvement would agitate things further. If police are unable to break up fights in public, then why do they exist other than as revenue generators?

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 7:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
It's fine to report on it, just a new thread for every new thing seems like overkill

Make a catch-all thread and title it "THE SO-CALLED TOLERANT LEFT" or something stupid like that, and just bump it with each new instance

Or call it "ITT: burt, bi_3, and PHATJ cum again, and again, and again"

Sick burn brah.

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 7:30 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
It's fine to report on it, just a new thread for every new thing seems like overkill

Make a catch-all thread and title it "THE SO-CALLED TOLERANT LEFT" or something stupid like that, and just bump it with each new instance

Sick burn brah.

Sick recognition of burn six weeks after I posted it, brah.

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 7:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Sick burn brah.

Shit, got me twice.

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 8:02 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

Sick burn brah.

Shit, got me twice.

PostPosted: Fri April 21, 2017 9:35 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Serious question: is multi-culturalism done? I mean, as an experiment.

First we were a melting pot that accepted people from all cultures who came here and became "American."

Then it was like "Nope, jk. We actually maintain our different cultures and that's what makes us great."

But in order to have a multicultural or pluralistic society, it has to make room for people who don't want a multicultural or pluralistic society. The very idea collapses inward onto itself.

I'm starting to wonder if what's going on in this country isn't the fault of liberals or conservatives, the media, immigration policy, Wall Street, or religion. I think it's just the result of too many people without a shared identity.

PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 1:39 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Dscans wrote:

First we were a melting pot that accepted people from all cultures who came here and became "American."

Then it was like "Nope, jk. We actually maintain our different cultures and that's what makes us great."

But in order to have a multicultural or pluralistic society, it has to make room for people who don't want a multicultural or pluralistic society. The very idea collapses inward onto itself.

I'm starting to wonder if what's going on in this country isn't the fault of liberals or conservatives, the media, immigration policy, Wall Street, or religion. I think it's just the result of too many people without a shared identity.

classic b

http://users.metu.edu.tr/utuba/Huntington.pdf

PostPosted: Sat April 22, 2017 3:24 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Dscans wrote:

I'd love to have a serious conversation about this, but it's tricky here now-a-days. But if I were you, I would start by asking if Multiculturalism really was what you suggest (i.e. the 'classic' conceptualization) or something slightly more dark. What I mean is that maybe it never was a melting pot or pluralistic society, but a method for people to shield themselves from the macro effects of racism by subjugating themselves to the dominate majority.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate