The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anti-Trump fascists attack in Berkeley
PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:17 am 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
The right is not all of a sudden actually more in favor of real free speech. Each side is just more anti-the-other-side's-speech than they usually are. see anti-milo on the left and the attempt to pass laws basically criminalizing peaceful protest coming from GOP statehouses

I'd argue making actual laws prohibiting speech and assembly is a much bigger deal than protesting and getting your way.

:ohyeah!: :stickman:

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:18 am 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
The right is not all of a sudden actually more in favor of real free speech. Each side is just more anti-the-other-side's-speech than they usually are. see anti-milo on the left and the attempt to pass laws basically criminalizing peaceful protest coming from GOP statehouses

I'd argue making actual laws prohibiting speech and assembly is a much bigger deal than protesting and getting your way.

Well, that's certainly a more direct inhibition of free speech as it's an attempt to limit someone's right to speak by law. The constitutional protection refers to an overbearing government, not private pressure.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:21 am 
Poster of the Year

digster wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

Well, that's certainly a more direct inhibition of free speech as it's an attempt to limit someone's right to speak by law. The constitutional protection refers to an overbearing government, not private pressure.

I...I know.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:24 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:25 am 
Poster of the Year

You seem to hold the actions of the anarchist fringe against the entirety of the left.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:34 am 
Production Police

Why are you talking about that Milo dude? Isn't he yesterday's news already?

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:34 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Why are you talking about that Milo dude? Isn't he yesterday's news already?

exactly

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:35 am 
Production Police

Milo > Dev

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:42 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:44 am 
The Master

I definitely learn things from people I agree with. Like, all the time.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:45 am 

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:48 am 
The Master

I only disagree with idiots.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:49 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
To be more clear: I'm not just for constitutional protection of free speech. It goes beyond legal protections. I think it's something that should be striven for at all times, especially at universities. And more and more that isn't the case. This is mostly driven by irrational fear and hate, IMO. That doesn't mean I think someone should be able to barge into your home or business and start shouting whatever they want. You have a right to say no, but should you?

"I never learned anything from someone I agreed with" and all that.

And violent action against peaceful speakers/protesters is how you get fascists. Do you want to get fascists? Because that's how you get fascists.

cutuphalfdead wrote:
You seem to hold the actions of the anarchist fringe against the entirety of the left.

I don't (maybe a little, but that's just me being troll-y). Though many don't exactly denounce it either. I have criticisms of the broader Left about them not explicitly being anti-free speech, but certainly suppressive of it. And that starts with calling everyone a nazi, racist, sexist, etc. But that's a different argument.

Liberals should be aware that these groups aren't pro-liberal either.

I have some progressive friends and hardcore idealists. THey are like this and it really does bother me. Some of them have lost thier shit over bill maher because of Milo. I think that is fucking retarded and absolutely a reason why we lost the election.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:51 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I'd just like to point out, because I don't think I've seen it pointed out so far, that the Milo speaking event didn't get shut down because the school listened to the students and agreed to shut it down. It got shut down because the protesters created an environment where the campus couldn't ensure the safety and security of the speaker or the audience. Milo is a piece of shit, but that never sat right with me. Dunno whose argument this helps.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:53 am 
Poster of the Year

certainly not mine

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:55 am 
The Master

I totally get what Burt is going on about and i don't totally disagree with him. My counterpoint is that - although it turned violent (which i dont 100% approve) they other side exercised their free speech the same. The situation resolved in a way that our democracy allowed it to. Nobody died though, right?

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 3:59 am 
The Master

Next time they should direct the violence directly at the White House

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 4:00 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Next time they should direct the violence directly at the White House

God yes please. Isn't that how this country was founded anyway? I think. Im not clear. But maybe.

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 4:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue March 07, 2017 4:04 am 
The Master

BurtReynolds wrote:
How many people you think would it take to successfully bum rush the White House? You could probably do it with 500 or so.

It's a testament to social conditioning that this hasn't been attempted yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate