The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823 ... 1307  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 7:58 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

surfndestroy wrote:
doug rr wrote:
I've stayed away from the news today..do i drink or not?
Bathe in it today.

Holy media freak out:

https://www.newsbusters.org/issues-events-groups/Mueller-Report

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Also, I’m waiting at least until Monday to try and understand the release. Far too much hysteria right now

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I mean linking to news busters is certainly a choice

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bi_3 wrote:
Also, I’m waiting at least until Monday to try and understand the release. Far too much hysteria right now

That instagram puppy ain't lookin' too bad anymore, is he?

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:22 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

If I understand everything....they couldn't prove collusion....the president tried like hell to obstruct but no one listened to him so there was no crime....you probably can't successfully impeach someone for being an asshole. That about right?

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I anticipate a lot of questions that he can't answer because of the redactions, actually.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:
If I understand everything....they couldn't prove collusion....the president tried like hell to obstruct but no one listened to him so there was no crime....you probably can't successfully impeach someone for being an asshole. That about right?

They demonstrated repeated collusion, which isn’t a crime.

They couldn’t demonstrate conspiracy, in part due to unanswered questions (ie they never really got any answers one way or another about Manafort’s polling data delivery).

The special counsel’s office pretty explicitly felt that the president attempted to obstruct...it is true that most of the more extreme attempts failed due to people ignoring his orders, but the report also makes it clear that they felt his actions “materially hindered the investigation,” and likely rose to the level of impeachabilty. And not all of these events (WaPo collected) are unacted ambitions:
Quote:
Mueller confirmed the accounts that former FBI director James B. Comey supplied: Trump demanded his loyalty and pressed Comey to lay off national security adviser Michael Flynn. Trump falsely claimed that neither of these things happened, but the report sides with Comey’s versions of events.

Mueller details that after Trump fired Comey, the White House flatly lied to cover up the fact it was Trump’s decision. Trump called Rosenstein — who had written that memo providing the pretext that the firing was about the FBI’s unfair treatment of Hillary Clinton — and asked him to do a news conference explaining the firing. But Rosenstein refused, saying that if he did that, he’d have to tell the media the truth, which was that it was Trump’s decision, and not his. A White House spokesman subsequently told the falsehood to the media.

The report notes that when Trump became aware he was being investigated for obstruction of justice, Trump’s misconduct grew substantially more serious: "At that point, the President engaged in a second phase of conduct, involving public attacks on the investigation, non-public efforts to control it, and efforts in both public and private to encourage witnesses not to cooperate with the investigation.”

The report details that Trump repeatedly ordered White House counsel Donald McGahn to instruct Rosenstein to fire Mueller. The report says McGahn “decided to quit because he did not want to participate in events that he described as akin to a Saturday Night Massacre,” but ultimately stayed and deflected the requests.

When media reports emerged about Trump telling McGahn to have Mueller fired, Trump instructed McGahn to lie to the public and claim that the president had never ordered him to remove the special counsel. McGahn refused.

The report has new details on how Trump misled the country about the infamous 2016 Trump Tower meeting. It recounts that top Trump adviser Hope Hicks wanted to disclose that Russians had offered Donald Trump Jr. information helpful to the campaign. But the president nixed that, explicitly ordering Hicks to issue a statement that falsified the true purpose of the meeting.

The report confirms new details about Trump’s pressure on top intelligence officials to impede the investigation. It details that Trump may have pressed Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats to subvert the investigation, with one aide to Coats suggesting (in the report’s words) that Trump wanted him to “get it over with" or “end it."

Trump also called a second top official and asked him to publicly refute news stories linking him to Russia. A third official called it (in the report’s words) the "most unusual thing he had experienced in 40 years of government service.”

Trump directed his former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski to tell then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to give a speech announcing he was directing Mueller to focus his investigation only on “election meddling for future elections." Lewandowski was unable to arrange a meeting with Sessions.

Which doesn’t even include the incitement, dangled pardons, and intimidation efforts Trump engaged in, in public.

Taken together, it’s beyond any historical presidential obstruction efforts. But no, impeachment won’t happen, because Democrats fear the impact it could have on the election, and their leadership is grade A chickenshit.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 8:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

The report found collusion? Jesus, no wonder the media is in melt down right now.

And wow:

Quote:
, but the report also makes it clear that they felt his actions “materially hindered the investigation,” and likely rose to the level of impeachabilty.

First I’ve heard on that. Huge.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 10:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 10:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
Taken together, it’s beyond any historical presidential obstruction efforts. But no, impeachment won’t happen, because Democrats fear the impact it could have on the election, and their leadership is grade A chickenshit.

Also, impeachment is meaningless given that the Senate will never remove him anyway.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 11:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Also, impeachment is meaningless given that the Senate will never remove him anyway.

agreed, if you're looking for a conviction. but if you want this president to carry the infamous distinction of being only the 3rd president to be impeached, they would be successful.

PostPosted: Thu April 18, 2019 11:35 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:

What is this referencing, like what is the context of this statement?

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 1:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

CNN goes full Emperor’s New Clothes on this thing

https://www.mrctv.org/videos/cnn-mueller-found-ton-collusion-only-sophisticated-people-see-it

(Watch the video ignore the idiot ‘article’)

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 2:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

agreed, if you're looking for a conviction. but if you want this president to carry the infamous distinction of being only the 3rd president to be impeached, they would be successful.

Absolutely. But I'm just not sure what that actually accomplishes, real world.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:05 pm 
AnalLog

Personally I think Democrats should have announced yesterday they were beginning impeachment. They're showing that tendency of theirs to "play it safe," but I think the danger here is allowing a president to blur the lines so badly that Republicans will take note at just how much they can get away with. Pelosi's line that Trump "isn't worth it" as far as impeachment goes is bullshit in light of the report, because this isn't about Trump it's about our democracy, and that is certainly "worth it." Plus, put the "law and order" Republicans on the record supporting a criminal and see how that works out for them in the long run.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The "normalcy" aspect of your argument is the thing that I agree with the most. For sure. That shit is worrisome.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

I don't understand the question. Do you mean what is the footnote linked to? I'm going to assume page 390 of the Mueller Report.

Trump has gone full "Thanks Obama" today. Nice.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 3:47 pm 
AnalLog

bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:

I don't understand the question. Do you mean what is the footnote linked to? I'm going to assume page 390 of the Mueller Report.

Trump has gone full "Thanks Obama" today. Nice.

Pro Tip: life is far more enjoyable if you tune out Donald Trump.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2019 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

meatwad wrote:
Pro Tip: life is far more enjoyable if you tune out Donald Trump.
Agreed, and I feel it's far more likely to defeat him if people stop obsessing over the latest outraging thing he said or tweeted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 817, 818, 819, 820, 821, 822, 823 ... 1307  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate