The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572 ... 1306  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 9:55 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

tragabigzanda wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
There is a serious outcry, but it's sort of developing in the moment as news is coming to light. Apparently there is a large demonstration in the works for the DC area. Remember that this wasn't on anyone's radar a week ago, and now they're flying in the Secretary of DHS to respond to it.

Well that’s something.

It’s fucking appalling.

Yep, and the near-total silence from the GOP is disgusting.

Surely the majority of republican voters won’t stand for this or support it? I mean his fringe element will the ones that attend his hate rallies but they’re a minority right? This is inhuman.
I’d say the party are afraid to say anything either way what with midterms looming.

I hope they all pay dearly for it.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 9:55 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
holy shit SHS: "We're not the administration who created this problem, we inherited it, but we're actually the ones stepping up to fix it."

Goddamn, I wish Obama would come out and call bullshit on that.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 9:57 pm 

Wasn’t there a famous book about what would happen in America if on one day every illegal immigrant didn’t show up for work?

Country would grind to a halt quite quickly

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 9:58 pm 
Major Dude

More and more, the GOP is becoming the party of Trump. They’re afraid if they say anything contrary to what he wants, they won’t be elected/ re-elected. So, they’ll all put up with this atrocity. They’ll support concentration camps for Hispanic children.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 9:59 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
Wasn’t there a famous book about what would happen in America if on one day every illegal immigrant didn’t show up for work?

Country would grind to a halt quite quickly

Yes, but that we are a nation of immigrants, and that our current domestic economic engine relies largely on immigrant labor, is really beside the point. As you already said, it's inhuman.

A clearer immigration policy is badly needed, and I completely understand the concerns of those in border communities who have to deal with the repercussions of the current policy in their day-to-day lives. But separating kids from their parents is so morally repugnant that it should render all other arguments moot.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:00 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
More and more, the GOP is becoming the party of Trump. They’re afraid if they say anything contrary to what he wants, they won’t be elected/ re-elected. So, they’ll all put up with this atrocity. They’ll support concentration camps for Hispanic children.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Ruskies didn't develop a bunch of kompromat on Congress as well.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:01 pm 
The Master

http://thehill.com/latino/392790-americ ... y-is-child

Quote:
Dr. Colleen Kraft in an appearance on CNN described the many ways Trump’s policy emotionally harms children and laid out in detail what she witnessed when she toured an immigration detention center.

“I can’t describe to you the room I was in with the toddlers,” Kraft said. “Normally toddlers are rambunctious and running around. We had one child just screaming and crying, and the others were really silent. And this is not normal activity or brain development with these children.”

Kraft added that the emotional strain the children in these facilities are under produces a condition called “toxic stress” and that it inhibits the development of their brains.

“It disrupts their brain architecture and keeps them from developing language and social, emotional bonds, and gross motor skills, and the development that they could possibly have,” she said.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:05 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
http://thehill.com/latino/392790-american-academy-of-pediatrics-president-trumps-family-separation-policy-is-child

Quote:
Dr. Colleen Kraft in an appearance on CNN described the many ways Trump’s policy emotionally harms children and laid out in detail what she witnessed when she toured an immigration detention center.

“I can’t describe to you the room I was in with the toddlers,” Kraft said. “Normally toddlers are rambunctious and running around. We had one child just screaming and crying, and the others were really silent. And this is not normal activity or brain development with these children.”

Kraft added that the emotional strain the children in these facilities are under produces a condition called “toxic stress” and that it inhibits the development of their brains.

“It disrupts their brain architecture and keeps them from developing language and social, emotional bonds, and gross motor skills, and the development that they could possibly have,” she said.

I don't doubt it. Imagine that you're ripped from your parents arms by men with guns, thrown into a prison, seen your parents taken away in handcuffs, and you don't speak the language of your captors. They are breeding a sub-generation of deeply scarred kids, who, subject to how this all plays out, are fairly likely to grow up with all sorts of traumatic aftershocks.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:05 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
http://thehill.com/latino/392790-american-academy-of-pediatrics-president-trumps-family-separation-policy-is-child

Quote:

I don't doubt it. Imagine that you're ripped from your parents arms by men with guns, thrown into a prison, seen your parents taken away in handcuffs, and you don't speak the language of your captors. They are breeding a sub-generation of deeply scarred kids, who, subject to how this all plays out, are fairly likely to grow up with all sorts of traumatic aftershocks.

Well yes and grow up to be enemies of the US and potential paths to terrorism :\

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:07 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

Quote:

Well yes and grow up to be enemies of the US and potential paths to terrorism :\

Maybe LV's wife can do something!

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:09 pm 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:

Quote:

I was just getting ready to post this.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:09 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:11 pm 
The Master

The short-term problem is that these tactics will likely work: I expect that barring any major changes to this policy, we'll see a huge downturn in illegal immigration, and Trump will notch a win with his base who would never admit to supporting this publicly, but will secretly think it was totally worth it.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Never underestimate the innate ability of Americans to remain willfully uninformed

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:52 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
Surely the majority of republican voters won’t stand for this or support it? I mean his fringe element will the ones that attend his hate rallies but they’re a minority right?

Wrong! The Republican Party is now the Trump Cult. He can do and say anything he wants. Defect and you're in trouble. He is like Jesus to these people. And they are everywhere. You can't walk down the street without seeing a proudly-displayed Trump sign or sticker. They are cruel, heartless and gullible. And it's sickening.

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 10:59 pm 

and now he wants a 'space force'

jesus fucking christ...

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 11:00 pm 
The Master

dimejinky99 wrote:
and now he wants a 'space force'

jesus fucking christ...

What if he called it a Star Wars Brigade?

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 11:02 pm 

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 11:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
holy shit SHS: "We're not the administration who created this problem, we inherited it, but we're actually the ones stepping up to fix it."

This is sort true. Here's some decent background from progressive rag Vox:

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/17443198/children-immigrant-families-separated-parents

PostPosted: Mon June 18, 2018 11:09 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This is sort true. Here's some decent background from progressive rag Vox:

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/17443198/children-immigrant-families-separated-parents

Yeah, I saw this before. From the article:

Quote:
Is the policy of separating families new?
Yes. But it’s building on an existing system, and attention to family separation has brought more awareness to problems with that system that have been going on for some time.

For the past several years, a growing number of people coming into the US without papers have been Central Americans — often families, and often seeking asylum. Asylum seekers and families are both accorded particular protections in US and international law, which make it impossible for the government to simply send them back. Those protections also put strict limits on the length of time, and conditions, in which children can be kept in immigration detention.

When the Obama administration attempted to respond to the “crisis” of families and unaccompanied children crossing the border in summer 2014, it put hundreds of families in immigration detention — a practice that had basically ended several years before. But federal courts stopped the administration from holding families for months without justifying the decision to keep them in detention. So most families ended up getting released while their cases were pending — which immigration hawks have derided as “catch and release.” In some cases, they disappeared into the US rather than showing up for their court dates.

The Trump administration has stepped up detention of asylum seekers (and immigrants, period). But because there are such strict limits on keeping children in immigration detention, it’s had to release most of the families it’s caught.

The government’s solution has been to prosecute larger numbers of immigrants for illegal entry — including, in a break from previous administrations, large numbers of asylum seekers. That allows the Trump administration to ship children off to ORR, rather than keeping them in immigration detention.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 566, 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572 ... 1306  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate