The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 1307  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 3:22 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
On that note, I was just on another site and people were moaning about how sick of politics they are. Not, like, sick of specific events. Just that old fashioned, 1990’s-level, “I hate politics it’s so miserable and everybody is equally bad and nothing ever changes” stuff.

Politics has kinda always been my bread and butter, but I just can’t imagine feeling that brand of malaise right now. Panic, anger, hope, etc, sure...but you are living through history. These are moments that reset the course, for the better or the much worse. People are suffering because of these changes already, never mind what might happen tomorrow. I can’t imagine feeling like basic engagement is too much to ask of you. I just can’t.

Fucking millennials.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 3:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
On that note, I was just on another site and people were moaning about how sick of politics they are. Not, like, sick of specific events. Just that old fashioned, 1990’s-level, “I hate politics it’s so miserable and everybody is equally bad and nothing ever changes” stuff.

Politics has kinda always been my bread and butter, but I just can’t imagine feeling that brand of malaise right now. Panic, anger, hope, etc, sure...but you are living through history. These are moments that reset the course, for the better or the much worse. People are suffering because of these changes already, never mind what might happen tomorrow. I can’t imagine feeling like basic engagement is too much to ask of you. I just can’t.

Fucking millennials.

Sadly, talkin bout my generation :shake:

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
Major Dude

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

People tryin’ to put us down.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

On the other hand, the four largest protest marches in American history have all occurred in the last two years.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 3:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

To be clear, I was making an obvious joke.

I've seen some of this starting up. However, the vast majority of the people in my circles are the exact opposite. I'm lucking enough to be surrounded by ultra-engaged people and its' inspiring and helpful. So, there is hope, still. But I'm with you, I can't imagine a lack or willful denial of basic engagement at this point.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 4:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
On the other hand, the four largest protest marches in American history have all occurred in the last two years.

And when the other side tried to march they ended up trapped in a gazebo

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 4:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

i don't get it

but since she is hot i trust what she says

They’ve been asking people on Fox to say things they want him to hear, because he’ll only listen to the tv.

We are living one of those stories that history will carry for a long, long time.

I think 96 was making the same joke as the meme, brah.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 5:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

And when the other side tried to march they ended up trapped in a gazebo

AL

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 5:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
96583UP wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

i don't get it

but since she is hot i trust what she says

They’ve been asking people on Fox to say things they want him to hear, because he’ll only listen to the tv.

We are living one of those stories that history will carry for a long, long time.

I think 96 was making the same joke as the meme, brah.

I know. I was responding with my absolute wonder at the reality of it all.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 8:53 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

I've seen some of this starting up. However, the vast majority of the people in my circles are the exact opposite. I'm lucking enough to be surrounded by ultra-engaged people and its' inspiring and helpful. So, there is hope, still. But I'm with you, I can't imagine a lack or willful denial of basic engagement at this point.

I haven't noticed a single damn change since the tangerine took office, except a slightly larger paycheck, so I'd say it's pretty easy to get complacent and not take the constant media panic very seriously. I do wonder if most people in the country would be able to name 5 things he has changed that effected them, besides the tax cut.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 11:18 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

I'll admit lately to changing the channel whenever Trump comes on. It's one of those I feel so embarrassed for him/because of him I have to look away. It's easier to watch the talking heads discuss what he said later.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 11:51 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

I'll admit lately to changing the channel whenever Trump comes on. It's one of those I feel so embarrassed for him/because of him I have to look away. It's easier to watch the talking heads discuss what he said later.

I have found myself yelling at the radio lately. I had to step back because that is unhealthy.

Today i started the Trump Documentary on netflix. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat April 07, 2018 11:52 pm 
The Master

I feel like this is the first president in my adult life that some asinine fucking idea or statement of his has immediate repercussions. That is terrifying.

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 3:44 am 
AnalLog

Bi_3 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Fucking millennials.

I haven't noticed a single damn change since the tangerine took office, except a slightly larger paycheck, so I'd say it's pretty easy to get complacent and not take the constant media panic very seriously. I do wonder if most people in the country would be able to name 5 things he has changed that effected them, besides the tax cut.

That's the only difference? WTF? What myopic fantasy land do you live in and how does one visit?

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 1:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

jwfocker wrote:

That's the only difference? WTF? What myopic fantasy land do you live in and how does one visit?

It's a function of privilege. My area is mostly upper-middle class white (~50%) and Asian (~35%) and has an average household income close to $200k, so even though I'm not rich like them, the halo effect insulates my family since those aren't the groups being negatively effected by Trump's behavior. There is obviously frustration over his not-so-hidden bigotry and expressions of embarrassment that he is our representative on the world stage, but the day to day is no different than it was under Obama or W.

What, specifically, has he done that has negatively effected you?

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 1:55 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:

It's a function of privilege. My area is mostly upper-middle class white (~50%) and Asian (~35%) and has an average household income close to $200k, so even though I'm not rich like them, the halo effect insulates my family since those aren't the groups being negatively effected by Trump's behavior. There is obviously frustration over his not-so-hidden bigotry and expressions of embarrassment that he is our representative on the world stage, but the day to day is no different than it was under Obama or W.

Come on, it's plain to see that a lot of his actions -- regulatory rollbacks, deportations, attacking the press, his trade war, his embrace of racists and jingoists -- are immediately anger-inducing and depressing because we know that the eventual outcomes of these actions are going to be very shitty.

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 2:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I’m glad he condemned Assad and the attack in Syria.

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 3:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:

Come on, it's plain to see that a lot of his actions -- regulatory rollbacks, deportations, attacking the press, his trade war, his embrace of racists and jingoists -- are immediately anger-inducing and depressing because we know suspect that the eventual outcomes of these actions are going to be very shitty if nothing is done to reverse it.

FTFY.

Eventually is the key word. And I think it depends on what you worry about. I am far more concerned about the unchecked rise of AI in the labor market and my kids competing against the genetically engineered offspring of the ultra-rich than I am about DAPL or the enforcement of immigration laws. That's clearly privilege, but it's also reality.

I'm glad your posting here again trag, we missed you.

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Production Police

Bi_3 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
jwfocker wrote:

Come on, it's plain to see that a lot of his actions -- regulatory rollbacks, deportations, attacking the press, his trade war, his embrace of racists and jingoists -- are immediately anger-inducing and depressing because we know suspect that the eventual outcomes of these actions are going to be very shitty if nothing is done to reverse it.

FTFY.

Eventually is the key word. And I think it depends on what you worry about. I am far more concerned about the unchecked rise of AI in the labor market and my kids competing against the genetically engineered offspring of the ultra-rich than I am about DAPL or the enforcement of immigration laws. That's clearly privilege, but it's also reality.

Agreed, this is the reality of your privilege and understandably effects your outlook on POTUS. But it's also a toxic sort of willful ignorance to say "These things that negatively impact billions of people won't impact me too directly, so I'm not too worried about it." That's the philosophy that saw one of my family members vote for Trump ("my personal tax rate > all other issues").

Bi_3 wrote:
I'm glad your Slamming Keys here again trag, we missed you.

More like a Flaccid Pecking, but thanks. I'm trying to minimize my engagement with the internet to clicks that actually pose some sort of (non-ego) benefit, so I'm way behind on threads. I'm only guessing that "eye fucks your plate" thread is a real doozy.

PostPosted: Sun April 08, 2018 4:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think it would be hard to argue with Bi_3's point that certain groups of people are going to be more immediately and negatively affected by Trump's rhetoric and policies than others. I feel like I'd be willing to say that is a significant part of his entire appeal. I will hurt these other people to a) help you, but more realistically, b) make you feel better.

I don't know if I'd agree that the tax plan is bearing the fruit Trump and others hoped; most polls indicate people have seen no changes, and the fact that Republicans barely seem interested in running on it anymore strikes me that they believe it's not going to win them much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522 ... 1307  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate