The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312 ... 1307  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 1:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

If you're wondering how a combination of partisanship and bigot-pandering destroys everything, 21% say the white nationalists have a point and 25% ARENT SURE HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT IT

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 1:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Van Jones: At some point it's not just about who you're emboldening, it's about who you're abandoning. About who doesn't even know if their government gives a damn about them anymore.

Listening to him during this segment was tough. He was in tears.

What a crazy fucking world we live in.

It must be absolutely terrifying for a large segment of the population to feel abandoned by their government.

I know you're trying to be a dick but at this point I think that "large segment" is basically 90% of the country who's looking at DT like he's a fucking cancer and there's no doctor willing to operate.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

McParadigm wrote:
Oof

http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/edi ... chief/amp/

The Sun Times Editorial Board wrote:
Children, cover your ears.

Decent people, speak out.

Quote:
She’s the 32-year-old woman who was mowed down and killed by a car allegedly driven by one of those Nazi fanboys.

I hate this word so much.
Quote:
al·leg·ed·ly

/əˈlejədlē/

adverb

adverb: allegedly

used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof.

He did it. There are photos, videos, everything. It happened.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 2:04 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

First response: "as another FNC employee, thank you..."

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 2:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Van Jones: At some point it's not just about who you're emboldening, it's about who you're abandoning. About who doesn't even know if their government gives a damn about them anymore.

It must be absolutely terrifying for a large segment of the population to feel abandoned by their government.

I know you're trying to be a dick but at this point I think that "large segment" is basically 90% of the country who's looking at DT like he's a fucking cancer and there's no doctor willing to operate.

That large segment is different from the focus of Van's statement, though. It's not about basic political disenfranchisement or economic neglect, but actual human indifference....the knowledge that, to this administration, one person's life (or death) is less significant than another's. That someone who wishes a people physical harm may be defended, or justified, by those in power. That people carrying torches and schwastikas down the street are more deeply sympathized with than minority children hiding in their houses.

That's the feeling yesterday's conference is creating for many.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Whether or not it's true, the point is the 'deplorables' actually do feel it, so pretending they don't or calling them stupid or *ists without trying to understand why is about the worst thing society could do as it feeds their sense of persecution and its wrong to say that because some group is more numerous in the country overall that individuals who fit within the broad definition of that group are not allowed to feel oppression or 'otherness' or any of the other motivating factors we ascribe to criminal acts from minority populations. Dehumanizing them may feel good, it makes us feel like we are not like them, but it's not the answer to stopping violent extremism it's the damn cause.

And its what allows men like Trump to get power.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:09 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:15 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Huh. That'd be interesting. Useless, but interesting

It's tradition for former presidents to remain apolitical in the public sphere--the most political thing they do is get trotted out for conventions. Even one of them speaking out directly against Trump would be strange.

Yeah but not in this case.

I certainly think it's warranted, I just don't think it'll happen due to tradition.

W and his father's skeleton released this statement today, which of course doesn't call out Trump by name or really even refer to him:

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bi_3 wrote:
bune wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
Strat wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Whether or not it's true, the point is the 'deplorables' actually do feel it, so pretending they don't or calling them stupid or *ists without trying to understand why is about the worst thing society could do as it feeds their sense of persecution and its wrong to say that because some group is more numerous in the country overall that individuals who fit within the broad definition of that group are not allowed to feel oppression or 'otherness' or any of the other motivating factors we ascribe to criminal acts from minority populations. Dehumanizing them may feel good, it makes us feel like we are not like them, but it's not the answer to stopping violent extremism it's the damn cause.

And its what allows men like Trump to get power.

Hmmmm... except you're missing the part where many of the people who now feel "oppressed" and "abandoned by their government" belong to the very group of people who spent so many years in power and dehumanizing others.

It's a little hard not to laugh at their "sense of persecution."

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 4:32 pm 
Production Police

Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Huh. That'd be interesting. Useless, but interesting

It's tradition for former presidents to remain apolitical in the public sphere--the most political thing they do is get trotted out for conventions. Even one of them speaking out directly against Trump would be strange.

Yeah but not in this case.

I certainly think it's warranted, I just don't think it'll happen due to tradition.

W and his father's skeleton released this statement today, which of course doesn't call out Trump by name or really even refer to him:

It's a smart response, given their position. It will hopefully compel the GOP establishment to further distance themselves from this rhetoric, without actually calling out Trump by name. I wish the Bushes had the balls to go a step further and say "Impeach Trump!", but I can't fault them for trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy with their party.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
That large segment is different from the focus of Van's statement, though. It's not about basic political disenfranchisement or economic neglect, but actual human indifference....the knowledge that, to this administration, one person's life (or death) is less significant than another's. That someone who wishes a people physical harm may be defended, or justified, by those in power. That people carrying torches and schwastikas down the street are more deeply sympathized with than minority children hiding in their houses.

Quote:

What a remarkable side-by-side this ended up being.

Also, a big part of why the GOP did as well as it did in '16 (I would argue bigger than nervous whites loving Trump rhetoric or feeling the sads about their sitch) was low minority turnout. I don't think even major Republican strategists have started coming to terms with just how bad this could end up being for them.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:18 pm 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:22 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:

But i thought he had so many CEOs ready to take their place?

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:24 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

But i thought he had so many CEOs ready to take their place?

My assumption is that he will continues to court advice from the former/potential future members of these forums, in exchange for favorable deals. Only now the members don't have to see their names attached to a racist president.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Republicans Must Tell Trump to Go-Now

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:25 pm 
Poster of the Year

they can force him out if they want to

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:30 pm 
The Master

Jimmy Kimmel had a funny thing about how to get rid of Trump.

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:31 pm 
Poster of the Year

Strat wrote:

a bullet?

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 5:38 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Strat wrote:

a bullet?

Not in as few of word!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312 ... 1307  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate