The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 188  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:05 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Strat wrote:
some of the comments in this thread make me feel even better about people marching. fuck.

For real. There but for the grace of God go I

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:09 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kaius wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
hahaha holy shit Burt!

It moves later but it still looks off. What the hell is he doing?

I'm guessing his real arms are inside the oversized trench coat, ready to unleash steel rain if shit hits the fan. The trench coat is likely interwoven with an anti-ballistic material to cover up the First Lady with.

Yea, figured it was something like this.

I'm guessing though. I've never seen anything like this and that guy is laugh out loud funny looking.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:11 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

theplatypus wrote:
Strat wrote:
some of the comments in this thread make me feel even better about people marching. fuck.

You guys can say names. It's fine.

#privileged #nolivesreallymatter #ohgod

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:15 am 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:
Strat wrote:

Dont mock me

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 2:26 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

someone mentioned Piers Morgan and Glenn Beck earlier. What a strange turn of events.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 3:00 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:01 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Birds in Hell wrote:
What was their point?

What specific aims were the protests trying to achieve, except for an anguished howl against a democratic process that didn't go their way?

There was no legislative goal, if that is what you mean, but the point was not that one dimensional. Ignore the incoherent ramblings of Madonna and Judd or other rabid anti-Trumpers for a minute and you will see this was a show of political strength to a man that seemed quite comfortable with long obsolete gender roles. Scarlet Johansson summed it up nicely:

"President Trump, I did not vote for you . . . I want to be able to support you. But first I ask that you support me, support my sister, support my mother."

It's that simple

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:30 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

b_i gets it

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:48 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

marches/protests this large definitely do make a difference

trump got elected because of low voter turnout

this type of stuff can wake up those who were complacent or apathetic and stayed home on election day and led us to this mess

hundreds of thousands in the streets can also impact the psychology of legislators. it's not necessarily going to stop them from repealing obamacare but it might make some of them think twice about how they approach something else down the line.

and these types of events can also obviously impact subsequent elections

look what the tea partiers managed to metastacize into

you could bring down N Korea with a few hundred thousand menopausal women

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 3:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Lots of chatter that the White House budget will effectively be the Heritage plan, which includes Medicaid and Medicare getting chopped in half and a nearly 10% reduction in social security.

Ha ha old people who voted for Trump!

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 3:24 pm 
See you in another life, brother

McParadigm wrote:
Lots of chatter that the White House budget will effectively be the Heritage plan, which includes Medicaid and Medicare getting chopped in half and a nearly 10% reduction in social security.

That won't happen. I can see Medicaid getting chopped, becoming a block grant program, etc., but I strongly doubt anything that dramatic would happen to Medicare and Social Security.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 3:27 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

The tangerine tantrum is gonna freak out. A suit has been filed about his overseas conflict of interests.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:02 pm 
Future Drummer

who would have thought pearl jam bros could be so reactionary

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

4/5 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

That won't happen. I can see Medicaid getting chopped, becoming a block grant program, etc., but I strongly doubt anything that dramatic would happen to Medicare and Social Security.

It's basically the "ACA is Obamacare," "no one is going to lose health insurance" game all over again. Increase the age of eligibility, adjust some premiums, and move to a voucher system. Most people dont really know what that all implies, and conservatives have spent decades turning the word "voucher" into holy script. Media will report that this results in a massive loss of coverage, Spicer, Conway, Fox, etc all shake their heads and say "all the president is doing is transitioning to a voucher system. Americans will be better served than ever before. The media is just playing its ugly games again."

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 4:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

McParadigm wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 5:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
But who is going to be swayed? The false narrative Trump supporters believe certainly isn't going to be impacted by large liberal congregations in urban centers.

"What's a little walk going to do?"
A little walk by protesters to Boston Harbor sparked a nation's independence from a monarchy.
A little walk from Selma to Montgomery, and from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial sparked the enactment of civil rights legislation for the American descendants of former slaves and changed the world's conscience about hate and the importance of nonviolent protest against the evils of this world.
A little walk by students and young people to Washington, DC helped to change America's conscience about the Vietnam War.
A little walk by a Chinese boy in Tianamin Square helped the world see the oppressive regime of the People's Republic of China.
A little walk by protesters in Cape Town, galvanized the world against South Africa's apartheid regime, and helped to free the Freedom Fighter who was in jail for over 2 decades, who would one day become South Africa's first Black President.
A little walk by tired and frustrated citizens to Tahir Square in Egypt caused a 30 year President to resign.
Little walks are powerful and can change a nation. Little walks are powerful and can change the world........Veronica Harvey

Okay, sure. But in this situation, when the conservative government clearly feels no obligation for their liberal constituents, and conservatives clearly feel no sympathy for liberal opinions, how does this protest translate into effect beyond solidarity and display of numbers? We already know liberals think Trump is a disaster. I don't see how these protests, as inspiring as they may seem, are teaching us anything new.

It's for those voters who, even a week before the election, were confused about who to vote for. It's for those voters who have to lay their own eyes on a candidate to "know" what they're thinking (i.e. if you don't visit my state you must hate me and everything I stand for). It's for those voters who didn't understand that after eight years of kind of a good thing you should continue to fight for what's right for everyone, not just you and yours.

Or it could just be a grand social experiment to see how many people could fit into tiny areas.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 5:50 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

CDC cancels next month’s ‘climate and health’ summit in Atlanta

According to Climatewire, an environmental Internet newsletter published by E&E News, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control “quietly and abruptly” canceled a major climate-change gathering scheduled for next month. The action was taken shortly after Donald Trump’s election as president in November, but is only now coming to light. From the newsletter:

The Climate and Health Summit was scheduled to be held in Atlanta, where the CDC is headquartered, in February. Agency leaders did not directly address why the summit was canceled and instead forwarded an email sent to participants indicating it may be rescheduled.

The summit involved months of preparation and had solicited research papers. The theme would have been on the “state of the science on climate and health, adaptation efforts through interagency collaboration, and communication and stakeholder engagement strategies,” according to a flier….It would have positioned climate change as a central issue for CDC, with a political rival of Trump as a keynote speaker.

The speaker wasn’t identified. Dr. Thomas Frieden, head of the CDC, resigned effective last Friday. He had been appointed by President Barack Obama eight years ago.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 5:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
Trump reinstates ban on US funds promoting abortion overseas

For those of you keeping track, the last time the Global Gag Rule was in place it had the bonus effect of collapsing malaria and HIV services, and child health care availability, to huge swaths of Africa's most poverty-stricken.

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 6:03 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

For those of you keeping track, the last time the Global Gag Rule was in place it had the bonus effect of collapsing malaria and HIV services, and child health care availability, to huge swaths of Africa's most poverty-stricken.

It's not "Africa First," McP :shake:

PostPosted: Mon January 23, 2017 7:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Simple Torture wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

It's not "Africa First," McP :shake:

"Peaceful Genocide"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3743 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 188  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate