The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581 ... 1306  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 7:27 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I assume this is a joke (oh god I hope its a joke), but the comments are predictably terrible.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 7:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
We will still be reading about all the tragedies this decision created 20 years from now.

Abu Ghraib 2: Back In The Habit (Of Torturing People)

That Obama sure was a monster, wasn't he? A real nazi. Hard to believe with such a massive public outcry, nothing was ever done about it. Oh wait, there was no massive public outcry.

You are correct that the cases in the article describe abuses that occurred during the Obama administration, as you would be correct to say that Obama’s approach on this topic was deeply problematic for liberals. He is, for them, a beloved president, but he effectively “gave up” any liberalizing of the immigration debate and took multiple actions that are frankly more in line with moderate conservative thinking. He shouldn’t have, though I suppose one only has to look at the conservative reaction to DACA to see why he might have opted not to die on that hill.

But that’s exactly the point: without fail, this is a system that enables abusers. This article is example evidence of that systemic reality. On a certain scale, a program like this can’t not enable abusers…there’s no real precedence for a broad, powerful, poorly regulated institution that acquires absolute authority over a group of people’s lives and contracts most of its work out, but does not subsequently also produce abuses. Which is why it is so crucial that you not take hastily organized or poorly thought out steps like dropping thousands of children into such a system. Which is why you should not make a unilateral, expansive change to the system that requires rushed vetting and rapid expansion of innumerable contractors. Which is why this sloppy, inhumanly indifferent decision is going to result in a cache of heart wrenching stories which we will still be uncovering 20 years from now. Which is what I said at the start.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 8:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
I assume this is a joke (oh god I hope its a joke), but the comments are predictably terrible.

“Depends. Are they sexy kids?”

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 8:02 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Now this is a solution that appeals to my sensibilities:

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 8:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

run2death wrote:
~150 for an entire year for them versus 2K since April for us.

150 detained with their parents.

Eleven unaccompanied minors. It's possible some of those eleven were separated upon arrival, but it's also possible some arrived without their parents.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 9:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 9:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:

This is what drop off at my expensive daycare is like every day.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 10:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
run2death wrote:

So now don’t come back or ever see them again and you’ll have the full experience.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Vote now pushed into next week.

If you’re wondering why this is such a train wreck, the COMPROMISE* bill includes $25b for a border wall.

Spoiler: show
* represents a compromise between GOP and GOP, but not yet able to win over enough GOP members.

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:33 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
run2death wrote:

So now don’t come back or ever see them again and you’ll have the full experience.

You're...you're allowed to just do that?

PostPosted: Thu June 21, 2018 11:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Shhh let’s see how it plays.

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 2:47 am 

I can't wait for Melania's tell-all book one day. The jacket chapter is going to be interesting I bet.

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 8:26 am 

Did they just pick some random crying girl to put on the cover? Jesus, shit like this is why Trump wins.

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:28 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
Did they just pick some random crying girl to put on the cover? Jesus, shit like this is why Trump wins.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crying+child+at+the+border

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

B wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crying+child+at+the+border

Magnificent

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:34 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:

If you’re wondering why this is such a train wreck, the COMPROMISE* bill includes $25b for a border wall.

* represents a compromise between GOP and GOP, but not yet able to win over enough GOP members.

I really don’t care do you?

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.newyorker.com/news/as-told- ... -detention

Quote:
Last week, on a day when Hart was on duty, the charge nurse called her over to examine a child who needed clearance for psychiatric treatment. He was eight years old, and he sat hunched in a recliner chair next to the nurses’ station. Four men, who had brought him from an unidentified holding facility for migrant children, hovered around him. Hart spoke with me by phone from her home, in South Texas, on Sunday night and again on Wednesday night, about her experience with the boy and her concerns for his future. Her account has been condensed and edited.

“The guardians didn’t step more than two feet away from the kid. One of the four was an armed police officer. I thought, Does it take an army of adult men to take care of one elementary schooler? I walked over to the boy, crouched down, and asked him, in Spanish, ‘How do you feel?’ ‘Sad,’ he said.

“The boy had been in custody for over a month. One of his guardians told me that he had been ‘acting out’ and threatening to harm himself, by jumping from his bed. This man told me, ‘I’m his clinician,’ but he was definitely not a doctor. I don’t know if he’s a social worker, a medical assistant, a housekeeper. I have no clue. But he obviously had been granted some sort of authority in regard to assessing children and determining what their needs are. He wouldn’t provide basic background. I couldn’t find out any information because he would say, ‘I’m not at liberty to tell you that’ and ‘You don’t need to know that,’ even though a lot of my questions were relevant to taking care of the child. I was asking things like ‘Where are his parents?’

“One of the men told me that the boy had crossed the border alone, but I didn’t know if I was getting the true story—if he had been separated from his mother and father before or after he entered the country. The man who called himself a clinician also told me that they knew where his parents were, and one of them was in the United States. I didn’t know if that meant in custody or not.

“I asked the clinician, ‘When is this child going to be reunited with his parents?’ He was evasive. First it was ‘Oh, well, we don’t know.’ And then it was ‘Well, he won’t be reunited with his parents unless he behaves.’ The lack of compassion was scary, and it didn’t seem like there was really a plan.

“This boy seemed devastated—quiet and withdrawn. He barely spoke. I asked if he needed a hug. I kneeled down in front of the recliner, and this kid just threw himself into my arms and didn’t let go. He cried and I cried. And to think he’s been in a facility for a month without a hug, away from his parents, and scared, and not knowing when he’ll see them again or if he’ll see them again. While I held him, I heard the men standing behind me muttering that I was ‘rewarding his bad behavior.’ Thankfully, it was in English, so I don’t think the boy understood what they were saying, but it just revealed their attitudes toward these kids.

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

I really don’t care do you?

No longer matters. This is how you kill a bill:

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 12:58 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Lock her up is in Dublin today to gat an honorary doctorate from Trinity. I don’t know what the other guy is doing here.

PostPosted: Fri June 22, 2018 2:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Annnnnd he’s back to calling the border stories phony.

Just great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581 ... 1306  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate