The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 1307  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 12:37 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

hilarious

wonder what other foibles are tucked within this homework assignment being worked on the morning that it is due that won't get caught before it is passed

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Like shouldn't you just know that if you're making Roger Waters' catalogue seem prescient you're doing it wrong?

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 3:00 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

theplatypus wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/politics/donald-trump-president.html?_r=0

I hope to one day wield Twitter as my Excalibur.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 3:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
Like shouldn't you just know that if you're making Roger Waters' catalogue seem prescient you're doing it wrong?

lol this guy shrieked "could anybody love him? or is it just a crazy dream?" and then followed it up with "if I show you my dark side..."

unrelated to any conversation

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 3:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I just want to point out that we're all at least sort of surprised that nuclear war hasn't happened yet.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 1:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/938355001? ... ssion=true
Quote:
A new USA TODAY/Suffolk University Poll finds just 32% support the GOP tax plan; 48% oppose it. That's the lowest level of public support for any major piece of legislation enacted in the past three decades, including the Affordable Care Act in 2009.

I'm still amazed at how flinty-eyed the public is on this bill, in spite of the chaos of other major news stories blowing up simultaneously and the secrecy of the drafting process. Just a sign of how tuned in people are this year, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Print media reports on Friday that trump watches hours of tv a day.

Silence.

TV news discusses said report this morning.

Eight minutes later.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Put another way

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 4:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

96583UP wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
run2death wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

This video depressed the living fuck out of me.

The divide in this country seems so ridiculously wide right now, I don't know how we can really bridge it.

My hope is still what I said in the election thread after Trump was elected.

This is the death rattle of a dying segment of our population trying to hold on to "the ol' good days."

But fuck, I've seen a lot of young Trump supporters recently and I'm afraid the death rattle is gonna last 30+ years.

Trump absolutely embodies a movement that has been, and will be, around for a while. But in spite of all of the awful things that it is (racist, sexist, cruel, wasteful, and fundamentally low information), the primary reason it is so destructive right now is its obsession with control and power. It is a movement that is definitively antithetical to the rule of law. Law is about constraint, restraint, and accountability....and at the heart of Trumpism is a limitless sense of pure WMA exceptionalism.

But here's the thing: it's also only like 30% of the country, nationally....and *maybe* 20% of the under 50's. Republicans are in a rush right now to pass legislation because, without admitting it publicly, they believe that the rise of Trumpism has destroyed their party's ability to win. You can gerrymander around minorities. You can't gerrymander around women, who now lean democrat by 20 points (25 points under the age of 35!). Even before the scandals which now define him came out, Roy Moore was performing 15 points below the Republican average for Alabama. Republican strategists are describing shrinking voter rolls in their territories all over. Long term, it's hard to see how they recover from this.

So back to that rule of law thing.

The one thing that scares me is that the core of the party was able to be coaxed back into supporting Roy. They backed away, the base flexed, they came back. That's a bad sign for whatever happens going forward with the Mueller probe, to my mind...because, say Trump closed it down and Republicans let him. A Democratic rise in 2020 would likely mean renewed investigations, and renewed pursuit of consequences. So eventually a corrupt power's only hope for avoiding blowback is to never lose power. Like everything else that's happened so far, it's one of those things that is built on layers and layers and layers, chiseling at norms until you realize that's just where you are now. And if you are willing to gut social programs that save sick children in order to feed your donors, or to energetically obfuscate an investigation into foreign election interference to please a strongman...how far are you from that really?

I think the answer is made abundantly clear on Fox News, every single day.

except that Dems will prob take the 'high road' and just focus on fixing things and passing legislation

i think many expected that GWB's regime would be investigated further for the various shady things they did; but when Barry O. took office instead there was a 'it's not good for the nation to get bogged down in the past' type of approach

i think if the Dems sweep they would do the same again... and just decide not to waste time getting in another few years' worth of nanny nanny poo poo with drumpf ... although these grievances may seem more severe than GWB's, some would argue that they don't come close to the back door shenanigans that went on in that reign

but it's moot anyways bc the dems will prob find some way to lose again

I keep thinking back to Lincoln giving the South a pass after the Civil War. He should have dropped the hammer but he didn't.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
See you in another life, brother

bune wrote:
96583UP wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
run2death wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

This video depressed the living fuck out of me.

The divide in this country seems so ridiculously wide right now, I don't know how we can really bridge it.

My hope is still what I said in the election thread after Trump was elected.

This is the death rattle of a dying segment of our population trying to hold on to "the ol' good days."

But fuck, I've seen a lot of young Trump supporters recently and I'm afraid the death rattle is gonna last 30+ years.

Trump absolutely embodies a movement that has been, and will be, around for a while. But in spite of all of the awful things that it is (racist, sexist, cruel, wasteful, and fundamentally low information), the primary reason it is so destructive right now is its obsession with control and power. It is a movement that is definitively antithetical to the rule of law. Law is about constraint, restraint, and accountability....and at the heart of Trumpism is a limitless sense of pure WMA exceptionalism.

But here's the thing: it's also only like 30% of the country, nationally....and *maybe* 20% of the under 50's. Republicans are in a rush right now to pass legislation because, without admitting it publicly, they believe that the rise of Trumpism has destroyed their party's ability to win. You can gerrymander around minorities. You can't gerrymander around women, who now lean democrat by 20 points (25 points under the age of 35!). Even before the scandals which now define him came out, Roy Moore was performing 15 points below the Republican average for Alabama. Republican strategists are describing shrinking voter rolls in their territories all over. Long term, it's hard to see how they recover from this.

So back to that rule of law thing.

The one thing that scares me is that the core of the party was able to be coaxed back into supporting Roy. They backed away, the base flexed, they came back. That's a bad sign for whatever happens going forward with the Mueller probe, to my mind...because, say Trump closed it down and Republicans let him. A Democratic rise in 2020 would likely mean renewed investigations, and renewed pursuit of consequences. So eventually a corrupt power's only hope for avoiding blowback is to never lose power. Like everything else that's happened so far, it's one of those things that is built on layers and layers and layers, chiseling at norms until you realize that's just where you are now. And if you are willing to gut social programs that save sick children in order to feed your donors, or to energetically obfuscate an investigation into foreign election interference to please a strongman...how far are you from that really?

I think the answer is made abundantly clear on Fox News, every single day.

except that Dems will prob take the 'high road' and just focus on fixing things and passing legislation

i think many expected that GWB's regime would be investigated further for the various shady things they did; but when Barry O. took office instead there was a 'it's not good for the nation to get bogged down in the past' type of approach

i think if the Dems sweep they would do the same again... and just decide not to waste time getting in another few years' worth of nanny nanny poo poo with drumpf ... although these grievances may seem more severe than GWB's, some would argue that they don't come close to the back door shenanigans that went on in that reign

but it's moot anyways bc the dems will prob find some way to lose again

I keep thinking back to Lincoln giving the South a pass after the Civil War. He should have dropped the hammer stayed living but he didn't.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 7:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Well sure there's that but he said he didn't want to make an example out of anyone. He really should have.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 7:15 pm 

bune wrote:
Well sure there's that but he said he didn't want to make an example out of anyone. He really should have.

I mean his stated goal was to reunite the country, so dropping the hammer or making an example out of them wouldn't have really helped fulfill that goal.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 7:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So are you saying that if he had not been killed and Andrew Johnson wasn't given the presidency it would have worked out? I'm interested in how your what-if is better than my what-if.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 9:23 pm 

[quote="bune"]So are you saying that if he had not been killed and Andrew Johnson wasn't given the presidency it would have worked out? I'm interested in how your what-if is better than my what-if.[/quote]
I don’t mean to disappoint, but I’m not entirely sure what you’re suggesting. Are you saying that if the federal government had been tougher on the South it could have prevented black codes and Jim Crow?
I’m just not sure what you’re talking about that didn’t “work out” or could have “worked out” better.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 9:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm saying that in my head yes that could have happened. Is it realistic? Probably not but that's what I'm going with.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 9:50 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This is the weirdest page of this thread about a cokehead celebrity who got elected president by hating Mexicans and disrespecting women.

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 1:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Ok, this is a trump tweet I might feel the need to dwell on...

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 1:50 pm 
A Return To Form

McParadigm wrote:

Even by Trump standards this is just.....I don't even know.

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 3:18 pm 
The Master

Fuzzy_Dunlop wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Even by Trump standards this is just.....I don't even know.

What. THe. Fuck

PostPosted: Tue December 12, 2017 4:23 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

USED

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 1307  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate