The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25819 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1291  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 4:39 pm 
Offline
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 20, 2016 7:11 pm
Posts: 9319
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
But who is going to be swayed? The false narrative Trump supporters believe certainly isn't going to be impacted by large liberal congregations in urban centers.



"What's a little walk going to do?"
A little walk by protesters to Boston Harbor sparked a nation's independence from a monarchy.
A little walk from Selma to Montgomery, and from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial sparked the enactment of civil rights legislation for the American descendants of former slaves and changed the world's conscience about hate and the importance of nonviolent protest against the evils of this world.
A little walk by students and young people to Washington, DC helped to change America's conscience about the Vietnam War.
A little walk by a Chinese boy in Tianamin Square helped the world see the oppressive regime of the People's Republic of China.
A little walk by protesters in Cape Town, galvanized the world against South Africa's apartheid regime, and helped to free the Freedom Fighter who was in jail for over 2 decades, who would one day become South Africa's first Black President.
A little walk by tired and frustrated citizens to Tahir Square in Egypt caused a 30 year President to resign.
Little walks are powerful and can change a nation. Little walks are powerful and can change the world........Veronica Harvey


Do you honestly believe that the level of oppression faced by women in the US under Trump is akin to those examples?

_________________
Kaius wrote:
I really hope we get this figured out soon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 19119
Location: Cumberland, RI
The pictures of trash left behind at rally locations are really gross; I'm hoping they'e isolated incidents, but who knows.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:03 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 21, 2016 12:19 am
Posts: 6340
Bi_3 wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
But who is going to be swayed? The false narrative Trump supporters believe certainly isn't going to be impacted by large liberal congregations in urban centers.



"What's a little walk going to do?"
A little walk by protesters to Boston Harbor sparked a nation's independence from a monarchy.
A little walk from Selma to Montgomery, and from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial sparked the enactment of civil rights legislation for the American descendants of former slaves and changed the world's conscience about hate and the importance of nonviolent protest against the evils of this world.
A little walk by students and young people to Washington, DC helped to change America's conscience about the Vietnam War.
A little walk by a Chinese boy in Tianamin Square helped the world see the oppressive regime of the People's Republic of China.
A little walk by protesters in Cape Town, galvanized the world against South Africa's apartheid regime, and helped to free the Freedom Fighter who was in jail for over 2 decades, who would one day become South Africa's first Black President.
A little walk by tired and frustrated citizens to Tahir Square in Egypt caused a 30 year President to resign.
Little walks are powerful and can change a nation. Little walks are powerful and can change the world........Veronica Harvey


Do you honestly believe that the level of oppression faced by women in the US under Trump is akin to those examples?


It's not just about women.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 57415
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 20919
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Image

A+

_________________
(patriotic choking noises)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 2962
Bi_3 wrote:
Do you honestly believe that the level of oppression faced by women in the US under Trump is akin to those examples?


Considering things like the proposed bill that would allow doctors to refuse Healthcare to women who've had abortions, I'd say yes. We can't start having this idea that we are all suddenly "free enough" because things are better than they were 50 or 100 years ago. There are still nazis like Richard Spencer calling for "peaceful genocide," whatever that means. We have to be constantly protecting and advancing rights for everyone if we want to say we live in a free society. Gay people just got the right to marry, FFS.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
interesting theory:

Robert Reich:

Quote:
I had breakfast recently with a friend who's a former Republican member of Congress. Here's what he said:
Him: Trump is no Republican. He’s just a big fat ego.
Me: Then why didn’t you speak out against him during the campaign?
Him: You kidding? I was surrounded by Trump voters. I’d have been shot.
Me: So what now? What are your former Republican colleagues going to do?
Him (smirking): They’ll play along for a while.
Me: A while?
Him: They’ll get as much as they want – tax cuts galore, deregulation, military buildup, slash all those poverty programs, and then get to work on Social Security and Medicare – and blame him. And he’s such a fool he’ll want to take credit for everything.
Me: And then what?
Him (laughing): They like Pence.
Me: What do you mean?
Him: Pence is their guy. They all think Trump is out of his mind.
Me: So what?
Him: So the moment Trump does something really dumb – steps over the line – violates the law in a big stupid clumsy way … and you know he will ...
Me: They impeach him?
Him: You bet. They pull the trigger.


another interesting theory:

Image

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 33020
Wonder what the ratings will be like for Trump's impeachment?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
dimejinky99 wrote:
Wonder what the ratings will be like for Trump's impeachment?

They'll be the highest ratings. Very high. Bigly high.

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 33020
BurtReynolds wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Wonder what the ratings will be like for Trump's impeachment?

They'll be the highest ratings. Very high. Bigly high.



Yyiuuuuuuuuuge


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 41117
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
Yea, I am really feeling that theory on anti-violence, Burt. After reading last night about the political views and actions of RATM (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic ... he_Machine), and enjoying watching Richard Spencer get punched in the face, I'm definitely feeling like non-violent protest is a double-edged sword.

That RATM story about Tim climbing onto the set in protest after Limp Bizkit won the video award was great. RATM's video was an actual protest; the LB video was just a fake commercial for a loud song. I'm not saying I am ready to advocate for violence wholesale. But I am appreciating that it does have merits in certain circumstances.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:07 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 1:10 am
Posts: 3338
The reason I'm wary of the notion that Republicans want to give the ball to Pence is that it would all but guarantee the Democrats the White House four years from now.


Last edited by digster on Sun January 22, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 33020
http://www.vox.com/2017/1/22/14351062/k ... ax-returns


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
I just wish people would think critically about protest and how it works and when it works. Obviously it works on some occasions. On others it doesn't. It's really not that hard.

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
digster wrote:
The reason I'm wary of the notion that Republicans want to give the ball to Pence is that it would all but guarantee the Democrats the White House four years from now.

I think if his approval ratings dip low enough, they'll pull the trigger. Their support of him during the election was tepid at times.

I said before that whoever won this election will be a one termer and I still feel that way. Republicans just need to push their agenda through, then throw tRump under the bus and block the next president's agenda in Congress for a few years.

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
How long will democrats dominate the presidency after Trump?

I'll go with twelve years.

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
what on earth am I talking about
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 12:35 am
Posts: 33020
Good read. Knew about Trumps father being a slum lord. Only cos Woodie Guthrie wrote that song about him though


Gold, brothels and real estate: How did the Trumps get so rich?

http://www.newstalk.com/How-did-the-Trumps-get-so-rich


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 45242
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Simple Torture wrote:
The pictures of trash left behind at rally locations are really gross; I'm hoping they'e isolated incidents, but who knows.

Image

_________________
Fundamentally, my position is one of harm reduction.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 17092
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
BurtReynolds wrote:
I just wish people would think critically about protest and how it works and when it works. Obviously it works on some occasions. On others it doesn't. It's really not that hard.



_________________
Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Sun January 22, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
There's no way I'm watching a video with that thumbnail

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25819 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1291  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LetMeSleep, Rangi Guy and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon March 08, 2021 10:40 pm