The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Thread on Unions....
PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2013 4:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Alex wrote:
can someone compile all of the broken_iris posts in this thread and laminate them for me?

All 3 of them?

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 5:30 pm 
Future Drummer

ZeroHedge wrote:

As Fast Food Workers Go On Strike In 100 Cities, Applebees Unveils The "Waiter Terminator"

An increase in minimum wage should solve this dilemma.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

broken iris wrote:
ZeroHedge wrote:

As Fast Food Workers Go On Strike In 100 Cities, Applebees Unveils The "Waiter Terminator"

I don't understand why there isn't more stuff like this anyway, but I guess not everybody is as anti-social as I am.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:09 pm 
Future Drummer

These things look like pretty slick and could replace most of the wait staff at 'random crap glued to the wall' chains like Chilis and Applebees.

http://elacarte.com/why/

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:01 am 
The worst

that does seem like a pretty excellent product.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 11:13 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
that does seem like a pretty excellent product.

I apologize for sounding like an advertisement for it, but as the often racist and often illogical zerohedge pointed out, the timing of the announcement was probably not an accident and it's a good example of how technology is destroying worker's ability to exercise their rights by putting the fear of obsolescence in them. If you read the first dozen or so pages of that paper from Oxford that I posted in the economy thread, it's got a few interesting historical examples of similar situations and how workers were able to use political influence to fight back. I don't think that would work here. These types of simple tech applications have interesting implications for immigration policy as well.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 11:44 am 
The worst

McP and I have (and probably others but these were two recent cases) both argued somewhere that we're entering into a world where people just simply don't need to work anymore. Not as much. We have fewer things that require bodies to do them, and a much larger population. There is going to be a long period of adjustment when we start learning how to live with abundance. Eventually (and sooner than we might think, but not immediately) the population is going to sever the labor/wage connection since it will no longer make sense. At that point we'll figure out if the United States is going to be a police state enforcing a rigid feudal caste system, or a social democracy. But what it currently is will probably cease to exist.

In the meantime the fact that jobs are in jeopardy doesn't change the fact that jobs still need to pay living wages, otherwise we are publicly subsidizing those businesses when those people go on anti-poverty and welfare programs.

It's also in some respects an empty threat (that product). It would be used no matter how much people have to pay their waitstaff because it does things a waitstaff simply can't.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 1:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Or, a police state enforcing a social democracy.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
Future Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:

Hey, this time will be different!

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 1:47 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
McP and I have (and probably others but these were two recent cases) both argued somewhere that we're entering into a world where people just simply don't need to work anymore. Not as much. We have fewer things that require bodies to do them, and a much larger population. There is going to be a long period of adjustment when we start learning how to live with abundance. Eventually (and sooner than we might think, but not immediately) the population is going to sever the labor/wage connection since it will no longer make sense. At that point we'll figure out if the United States is going to be a police state enforcing a rigid feudal caste system, or a social democracy. But what it currently is will probably cease to exist.

I'm going to quote this in the other thread, mostly because I feel like internet arguing about it.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:15 pm 
The worst

broken iris wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

there has yet to be a police state existing alongside a social democracy

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
broken iris wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

there has yet to be a police state existing alongside a social democracy

Is this to offset Mob Rule? Isn't that sort of the idea behind a republic and setting up a system of representative government?

Seems like the idea of having some sort of freedom and liberty wouldn't work with the above.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:32 pm 
The worst

I think police states and social democracy are incompatible. I was responding to the 'this time will be different' comment

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 3:42 pm 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
I think police states and social democracy are incompatible. I was responding to the 'this time will be different' comment

What would you use as a historical example of a social democracy?

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 9:12 pm 
The worst

The Scandinavian countries

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon December 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
Future Drummer

Unions at work. Making the world a better place one lie at a time.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/12/09/eviction_protesters_block_google_bus_in_san_francisco_fake_video_of_google.html

This afternoon, the Bay Guardian posted on its website a video of an alleged Google employee shouting down the protesters in the most obnoxious possible way. “This is a city for the right people who can afford it,” the bearded, hipster-glasses-wearing guy screeched. “You can’t afford it? You can leave. I’m sorry, get a better job.”

The video quickly went viral, so much so that it appeared to have taken down the Bay Guardian website for a time. Several other outlets ran with it, including ValleyWag’s scourge of the techies, Sam Biddle, who opined that the Google employee in question “personifies almost every single thing worth protesting.”

One problem: As some quickly suspected, including New York Magazine’s Kevin Roose, it now appears the guy wasn’t a real Google employee. Instead, Fitzgerald Rodriguez reports in an update to his story, he was a union organizer posing as a Google employee in order to make Google employees look bad. Suffice it to say that, whatever you think of Google employees and their impact on the San Francisco housing market, they were not the ones who came out of this particular exchange looking bad.

PostPosted: Mon December 09, 2013 10:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

surfndestroy wrote:
Unions at work. Making the world a better place one lie at a time.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/12/09/eviction_protesters_block_google_bus_in_san_francisco_fake_video_of_google.html

This afternoon, the Bay Guardian posted on its website a video of an alleged Google employee shouting down the protesters in the most obnoxious possible way. “This is a city for the right people who can afford it,” the bearded, hipster-glasses-wearing guy screeched. “You can’t afford it? You can leave. I’m sorry, get a better job.”

The video quickly went viral, so much so that it appeared to have taken down the Bay Guardian website for a time. Several other outlets ran with it, including ValleyWag’s scourge of the techies, Sam Biddle, who opined that the Google employee in question “personifies almost every single thing worth protesting.”

One problem: As some quickly suspected, including New York Magazine’s Kevin Roose, it now appears the guy wasn’t a real Google employee. Instead, Fitzgerald Rodriguez reports in an update to his story, he was a union organizer posing as a Google employee in order to make Google employees look bad. Suffice it to say that, whatever you think of Google employees and their impact on the San Francisco housing market, they were not the ones who came out of this particular exchange looking bad.

This reminds me how some prominent members of Congress are trying to [improperly] obtain donor lists for certain non profits so their "constituents" can turn around and protest the corporations on those lists simply because certain unions disfavor the missions of said non profits.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 2:02 pm 
Future Drummer

WSJ wrote:
Angry French Union Workers Take Two Bosses Hostage

Workers at a Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. factory in northern France prevented two managers from leaving the facility on Monday, the latest in a string of protests by union members who were accused by a U.S. executive last year of doing little work.

Mickaël Wamen, a union representative, said the managers would be held until workers get a satisfactory response to their requests. He said the managers already have been informed that they will spend the night at the site.

Goodyear, of Akron, Ohio, has been trying to shut the plant for several years, but is entangled in legal proceedings with unions representing workers, led by the communist-backed CGT. Efforts to sell the factory to U.S. tire maker Titan International Inc. hit the headlines last year, after Titan Chief Executive Maurice Taylor blasted French labor laws and work habits.

As Goodyear winds down operations and the plant almost idle, French labor law requires the company to keep all workers employed, which means many of them don't work more than a couple of hours a day while still getting full salary.

The situation enraged Mr. Taylor, who dropped the first offer he had made for the plant and told France's industry minister that he would be "stupid" to operate in a country where workers get high wages for little work.

Tense labor relations in France were exacerbated by the financial crisis, leading to a string of so-called boss-nappings. In 2009, when industrial companies started retrenching their operations, managers at the French plants of several foreign firms, including Caterpillar Inc., Sony Corp. and 3M Co., were held captive by workers angry at being laid off.

Sacré Bleu! The people have the power!

Contrast this with the Boeing union relenting to keep the 777X work in Seattle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate