The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sat November 26, 2016 5:09 pm 
Online
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 5561
Edit: Just made an errant post, sorry.

_________________
Red Mosquito: Come for the Pearl Jam discussion, stay for the rampant homosexual innuendo.


Last edited by Bammer on Sat November 26, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri August 09, 2013 4:38 am
Posts: 2169
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23890
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14076
Location: Cumberland, RI
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23890
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

Leonard Peltier would like to have a word with Jean Baudrillard.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14076
Location: Cumberland, RI
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

Leonard Peltier would like to have a word with Jean Baudrillard.


I was half just joshing you guys (mostly Leatherhead), but I Googled that guy and don't really know what he has to do with anything here.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51543
Guys, you are sounding very millennial right now.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23890
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

Leonard Peltier would like to have a word with Jean Baudrillard.


I was half just joshing you guys (mostly Leatherhead), but I Googled that guy and don't really know what he has to do with anything here.

It's ok, I had to google Jean Baudrillard. But if he's a guy who believes the symbol of the US flag has great importance, then a Native American who A) had his ancestors rights trampled by the US gov't and then B) he himself was railroaded on a bullshit murder charge would probably beg to differ.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23890
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Guys, you are sounding very millennial right now.

As if, Ruddo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14076
Location: Cumberland, RI
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

Leonard Peltier would like to have a word with Jean Baudrillard.


I was half just joshing you guys (mostly Leatherhead), but I Googled that guy and don't really know what he has to do with anything here.

It's ok, I had to google Jean Baudrillard. But if he's a guy who believes the symbol of the US flag has great importance, then a Native American who A) had his ancestors rights trampled by the US gov't and then B) he himself was railroaded on a bullshit murder charge would probably beg to differ.


Oh, Baudrillard is basically the opposite. Sort of. He was a post-structuralist philosopher who argued that society had been fundamentally changed by the way symbols had come to be accepted as the thing they stood for instead of being seen as standing for something. It's the difference between saying, "My great grandpappy died for what the flag represents" (an understanding that it's simply a symbol) vs. saying, "My great grandpappy died for the flag" (which doesn't acknowledge its symbol-ness). As certain interpretations of symbols begin to take hold as being "real" (especially in language and representation), we lose the ability to get in touch with and interact with the real. So he'd take issue with the statement "It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric," and would rather us say "It's just some fabric that lots of people have decided is a symbol" (but he'd stress that it's impossible to make a judgment call about what the flag "really" means).

tl;dr: we actually agree, trag.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 3:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34388
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Obviously, flags are more than just pieces of cloth. They're like crack to pyromaniac hippies, for one thing.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 15249
They really clean the dog poo off the shoes, too.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Sun November 27, 2016 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23890
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I really don't care at all about a stupid flag. It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric.

Seriously


Jean Baudrillard would like to have a word with you guys.

Leonard Peltier would like to have a word with Jean Baudrillard.


I was half just joshing you guys (mostly Leatherhead), but I Googled that guy and don't really know what he has to do with anything here.

It's ok, I had to google Jean Baudrillard. But if he's a guy who believes the symbol of the US flag has great importance, then a Native American who A) had his ancestors rights trampled by the US gov't and then B) he himself was railroaded on a bullshit murder charge would probably beg to differ.


Oh, Baudrillard is basically the opposite. Sort of. He was a post-structuralist philosopher who argued that society had been fundamentally changed by the way symbols had come to be accepted as the thing they stood for instead of being seen as standing for something. It's the difference between saying, "My great grandpappy died for what the flag represents" (an understanding that it's simply a symbol) vs. saying, "My great grandpappy died for the flag" (which doesn't acknowledge its symbol-ness). As certain interpretations of symbols begin to take hold as being "real" (especially in language and representation), we lose the ability to get in touch with and interact with the real. So he'd take issue with the statement "It's just a damn symbol made out of some fabric," and would rather us say "It's just some fabric that lots of people have decided is a symbol" (but he'd stress that it's impossible to make a judgment call about what the flag "really" means).

tl;dr: we actually agree, trag.

Sweet. My quick read of wiki made me think the opposite.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 2:37 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1810
I never liked standing for the flag. It represented something that seemed foreign to American ideals.

In my very limited opinion - it always seemed too nationalistic to me and nationalism is one of the worst human ideas/concepts in history.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14076
Location: Cumberland, RI
jwfocker wrote:
I never liked standing for the flag. It represented something that seemed foreign to American ideals.

In my very limited opinion - it always seemed too nationalistic to me and nationalism is one of the worst human ideas/concepts in history.


Image

Commie, commie, traitor to our country!

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51640
Location: Sector 7-G
Nationalism isn't always bad.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51543
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Nationalism isn't always bad.

Boston Strong

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51640
Location: Sector 7-G
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Nationalism isn't always bad.

Boston Strong

26+6=1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 6:52 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 9:44 pm
Posts: 1810
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Nationalism isn't always bad.



Totally disagree.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Standing for the US flag
PostPosted: Thu December 01, 2016 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 51640
Location: Sector 7-G
jwfocker wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Nationalism isn't always bad.



Totally disagree.

It was good for Ireland.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 24, 2018 5:29 am